Info Donations Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please keep in mind that this is not the lounge. Keep the off-topic or non-serious posts to a minimum please kthx.

We do not do custom titles and we arent going to start. If you want a custom title you can enter one of the competitions where that is a prize... however you wont get to choose what it says.

Apologies fizzle. It was a partial joke. Inappropriate here. :/ i'm sorry.

Finally have some money now and will be able to donate €100/month for a few months since the leaves of the trees are amazing this year. ;)

Can't use AlertPay tho due to privacy... 8( (the world is small nowadays), so some Euro guy with a CCard or some forum admin from the €-zone who knows some magic tricks to get my €€€ to BL.

You know I did it before so you can trust me but only PM plz, I know the BL server is in the same country as mine so can't be hard hmmm? %)

Think about it, I <3 BL and hate the WoD. :)

23.gif
-- Peace o/

I just went to the donate page and was disappointed to see the only options are via AlertPay or snail mail. Don't want to join another online pay system or go to post office to send overseas postage. I haven't read past the 2nd page of the thread so don't know what's been suggested?? But think you would get more US donations if you set up a direct pay [in US dollars] thru visa, mc, wire transfer, or online check. It's to bad you lost PayPal because that is ideal for many us members... including myself.

As far as incentives or motivations... they work so keep thinking about that. One other thing is I don't understand why it would be so bad to use an ad source like google Adsense? I'm sure you know they have many options to choose from which aren't that invasive. I do very well with them on my sites.

^We actually do have some perks in mind right now, and several are in the process of being tested. At the moment, the site prune is the first big thing in line, but once thats done we should have some perks to roll out for donors :)

I guess I missed the "site prune" part of discussion? I'll search it. Are any other payment options in the works? No doubt if you push the right buttons, we'll deal with a bit of inconvenience to help out. As is... it would be the post office route for me.

lol the site prune is announced all over the place, at the top of the forums, and possibly even blinking...

we're looking into reinstating Paypal as a payment option. but that might not be feasible - they cancelled our account last year because we are a filthy druggie website, so don't hold your breath on that one. how long would it take to create an AlertPay account? I don't remember it taking too long tbh.

as for google ads - i must admit i don't know how they work, but i have a feeling that the biggest issue would be their targeted ads that scan the content of the forum - we would not want any sources (e.g. mephedrone vendors) advertised on BL.

Google Adsense have already said no to us in the past. Starting to get the picture?

Adsense is very simple to use and would definitely generate a large amount of income for BL based on the traffic here. You can use 1-3 ads per page and you also select the location of same. It's simply a matter of placing the HTML code [they provide] where you want it on your page. Top, bottom, middle... anywhere. You can also select whether you want text or banner ads.... or both. The ads are automatically programmed to relate to the content of each page they are displayed on. I get an avg of about $.35 for each click thru. I predict you would easily earn a minimum of $8-$10k per month based on 650,000 visitors and 4.5 million page views monthly.

You could signup and give it a trial with no long term obligation. The agreement does NOT include a length of time commitment.

http://www.google.com/adsense

Google Adsense have already said no to us in the past. Starting to get the picture?

OOPS... ok I see now. However, there are other similar ones like Bidvertiser. But it looks like you're stuck with member donations which apparently needs to be tweaked a bit.

The ads are automatically programmed to relate to the content of each page they are displayed on.

heh... like i said, that's actually the last thing we want.

at present we are 100% in control of what is displayed on our website. even if google accepted us (i didn't know they'd actually rejected us) we would lose that control and probably end up displaying things that breach our user agreement.

I posted this in the "pages load increadibly slow" thread, but thought I should also post it here (I know naughty of me cross posting!) so its in the right thread.

Can we have an update on the donations bar please?

Thank ya very muchly :)

Expect more than a donation bar update very shortly (meaning, we were trying to get it out this weekend). There should be a site wide announcement coming in the next day or so which updates the donation bar, our overall situation, highlights the Inflexxion study currently in progress to help our funding issues, and of course the awesome calendar and posters that chrissie put together to help raise moneys. Better detail shortly. Fer real.

As promised ;)

DONATION DRIVE 2010​

Members of Bluelight,

We thank you for your continued support with quality content that helps save lives and educate others about harm reduction. In addition to the knowledge and time you've given, we must ask for a financial hand as well. For the history of the subject, you can read our Donations Discussion thread in SUPPORT.

Our current situation is that we still owe ~1700 euro for our 2010 bill (the host has been very generous with our late payment, but we need to pay up NOW). We need to pay off this bill before any of us can consider our options for 2011. To this end, we are doing the following three activities:

• Our Donation Page has been modified to ask for one-off donations (subscription option removed for now). We beg that you send us whatever you can for this big push, which we will run until JAN 15 in hopes that we can meet our current needs. Anything you can give will help.

• We have partnered with Inflexxion to run another survey for their studies - Internet Survey for Prescription Drug Abuse 2010. As they have done in the past, they will provide a substantial monetary contribution to the site in return for our helping recruit legitimate subjects for the study. This study will only take about 10 minutes of your time, and cost you nothing more. Every respondent we can send their way will help build our relationship, proving the value of our site to researchers and hopefully bring more funding our way to keep us online. So please, whether you can donate any money or not, at least give them 10 min of your time to help us. Thank you.

• One of our esteemed members (and an ex-admin) has actually pulled together one of the fundraising ideas that have floated here for years - A Bluelight Calendar! Here's the thread discussing it (Girls of Bluelight Calendar on Sale Now ...) and the online store (The Bluelight Store) where you can purchase the calendar or buy individual posters of the pictures. We hope to use this storefront for other such opportunities in teh future.

For those wondering about the 'donor' usergroup with subscriptions as mentioned in this thread - we can't get it in place to meet the 2010 billing deadline. It will remain on the table for future implementation. But must first we need to satisfy our 2010 obligations before anyone can consider 2011. We ask that you focus your attention on a one-off donation now for our 2010 needs, and hold such subscription questions until after we get this bill paid.

Please, if you have any further questions or comments about our funding needs, visit our Donations Discussion thread in SUPPORT, but stop by either the Inflexxion survey at Internet Survey for Prescription Drug Abuse 2010 to give 10 min, or our DONATE page to give monetarily, or BOTH!!!

Thank you, and hopefully we'll see you in coming months.

- The BL Staff, and all your fellow members <3

Last edited:
One question I can see coming quickly is how we jumped from ~20% to ~80% in our funding needs so quickly. There were a few key donors who did not wish to be named that have come through recently for us and provided significant sums. That got us a good part of the way to our 2010 debt payment, but not all the way - hence the big push for regular members to pitch in on these last ~1700 euro that we need for 2010's bill :\

These angel donors are nice, but can't be counted on to foot the whole bill, as their timing and amounts aren't exactly predictable.

Also for those wondering about the earlier Inflexxion study, they also are part of that 60% jump in current funding along with our 'angel donors'. Hence the desire to push participation in the current study noted - however that also shouldn't be viewed as a miracle answer to the remaining debt. We need our members to contribute to the general fund with monies if they can, whatever amount they can, and to participate in fulfilling the needs of the study so Inflexxion can complete their part of that arrangement and help out further.

Thanks for all that TLB :)

When is the absolute deadline to get the whole bill paid?

I've just done the survey, and will try to donate soon (if I can before the deadline).

Status
Not open for further replies.