• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Doing Acid Base extraction on crude ethanolic mescaline extract?

St3ve

Bluelighter
Hi guys, I was wondering if it'd be possible to create a crude extract of a large amount of cactus with ethanol or isopropyl alcohol and vape it off. Then take the tar and perform a normal acid/base extraction on it? Would this work?

There are ways to extract it, I dont know if its precisley that one, but I must deviate from the question so that we may consider, if you find it at all a novel approach, that we could very easily make a concentrated tea. This is the epitome of a medicine, a quick shot which we gulp with a chaser and Ta-Da. No fuss, no stress, no nausea, no purging.

Yes and in fact this method is preferable for a number of reasons. You can do long soaks at room temperature until your ready then your starting material is much lower requiring a lot less solvents, bases, etc.. Also smaller containers can be used. Yields are usually better too this way.

The best way to go about it though is doing long extractions at room temperature with distilled vinegar or diluted distilled vinegar. Do a 1-2 month soak then either basify as is or dry to an extract then reconstitute and A/B when ready.

-GC

Could you soxhlet cactus chunks with, say, methanol and get good extraction? I wonder.

On paper there's no reason this wouldn't work, ethanol should dissolve both the freebase and mescaline salt, you could always add a little lime (Ca(OH)2) to force the pH up to ensure mescaline is present as a base.

Soaking it in acidic water is also a proven good way to do it, you form soluble mescaline acetate which is stable to boiling, you can just boil the cactus chunks for a day in lightly acidified water (lemon juice, vinegar etc) then strain (and optionally concentrate) to get a crude broth that is quite suitable to do extractions of.

Could you soxhlet cactus chunks with, say, methanol and get good extraction? I wonder.

On paper there's no reason this wouldn't work, ethanol should dissolve both the freebase and mescaline salt, you could always add a little lime (Ca(OH)2) to force the pH up to ensure mescaline is present as a base.

Soaking it in acidic water is also a proven good way to do it, you form soluble mescaline acetate which is stable to boiling, you can just boil the cactus chunks for a day in lightly acidified water (lemon juice, vinegar etc) then strain (and optionally concentrate) to get a crude broth that is quite suitable to do extractions of.

You can and it is a very great way to go about extracting alkaloids. That said I still opt for the longer water/acetic acid extractions..

Having tried both water/AA extractions and methanol/ethanol/isopropyl extractions, the alcohol extractions pull a bit more impurities than the water/AA does. Those impurities are also the nasty tasting ones which are less prevalent in the water extractions.

If said person is going to then take the crude extract and do an A/B then it doesn’t really matter much. And the soxhlet with methanol would be the best route because it’s fast and easy to evaporate before going into the A/B. (To be fair, the water/AA doesn’t need to be evaporated beforehand but depends how ya wanna go..)

-GC