Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does this creep anyone else out?

Obelus

Bluelighter
http://www.p2002.sgul.ac.uk/index.php

"Over the past two years the Psychonaut Web Mapping project has set up an integrated mapping and monitoring system of the Internet which has allowed the early identification of emerging trends in recreational drug abuse (for example Spice and mephedrone).

The project has also shown that it is possible to rely on the information available and shared on the Internet to build up a reasonably accurate understanding of the characteristics of these novel/recreational compounds. This information is vital for many health professionals and the online database and technical reports are trying to fill this gap in knowledge."

Oh technology. You scare me sometimes. 8o

Not really.. I see it as a good thing. I'm sure there are other organizations that are not health-orientated that use web spiders and stuff to centralize all info regarding RC and its users, but at least this guys are doing it for a good purpose and are pretty up front with it... too bad you need this to get access to it:

'Thank you for your interest in the Psychonaut Web Mapping Project and Database.

As you will appreciate, access to the database is restricted to relevant health professionals and researchers. As such could you please email some further information about your area of work and reasons for wanting access to the database so that your request can be assessed.

Regards

Zoe Davey
St George's, University of London
Cranmer Terrace
'

Kudos for them, I guess..

http://www.p2002.sgul.ac.uk/index.php

"Over the past two years the Psychonaut Web Mapping project has set up an integrated mapping and monitoring system of the Internet which has allowed the early identification of emerging trends in recreational drug abuse (for example Spice and mephedrone).

The project has also shown that it is possible to rely on the information available and shared on the Internet to build up a reasonably accurate understanding of the characteristics of these novel/recreational compounds. This information is vital for many health professionals and the online database and technical reports are trying to fill this gap in knowledge."

Oh technology. You scare me sometimes. 8o

I think this is good. As we know, many RC's (besides that shitastic meph) are actually really safe. The more people who know that, the closer we get to not being criminals anymore simply for exploring our mental landscapes.

It also means that places like Bluelight need to be more vigilant when it comes to concluding safety of a substance....Which, with our hedonistic snifftastic tryptattitudes, can be acsertained by how we're all brainiac bluenatics.

Hmm...

^You need to expand your consciousness maybe

The Psychonaut Web Mapping Project got mentioned in this New Scientist article:

Last year the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction warned that the legal highs market was constantly one step ahead of the authorities. It called for improved monitoring of emerging trends and quicker, more flexible approaches to controlling substances.

The Psychonaut Web Mapping Project, a pan-European effort to track trends in legal highs, built up a database of more than 400 novel substances over the last two years by monitoring some 200 internet forums.

Its a good article actually, probably the best I've seen on meph so far. No hysteria and a section at the bottom for myths and the journalist's experiences trying the drug.

The Mapping Projects website has a list of articles which have been presented as a result of, or in relation to, its work. The titles are a mixed bunch, some of them seem to suggest a prejorative attitude but others seem neutral to the issue, I'm not too worried by their existence.

The more people who know that, the closer we get to not being criminals anymore simply for exploring our mental landscapes.

When I looked at the site I perceived its intentions as being more prowler oriented, and less concerned with actually gathering and distributing relevant information. As if they were trying to use the internet to stay ahead of the curve and snuff out rising uses and trends by exploiting our lovely basin of inter-connectivity. A little too big brother for my tastes. If they are using their sources in the way you put it however, I can get behind that cause.

As for people rendering opinions based on forums and places of social networking, that could sway minds strongly in both directions. Thrill seeking gluttons ruin things for everyone. Why are the irresponsible people the loud ones?

...........It called for improved monitoring of emerging trends and quicker, more flexible approaches to controlling substances

Well, for me this is the telling part. I assume by the second part of the sentence, they mean ways to legislate more rapidly- i.e. get the substances banned with the minimum of debate or legal obstruction (e.g. in UK by having to go through lengthy processes of consultation and then pushing a bill through parliament).

The conservative party here in the UK are already making noises about wanting to implement a system whereby they can automatically ban a substance for a year to allow them to asses its harmfulness.

Bet you can all guess the outcomes of such exercises.

Nope, this is just another way to modify democracy in such a way as to marginalise the voters.

At least that's what 50+ years living in "democratic" Britain have led me to believe. :\

Fascism creeps in slowly and quietly.

At least it's not Big Brother watching. Of course that's going to come soon if the drugs keep winning this war.

'Thank you for your interest in the Psychonaut Web Mapping Project and Database.

As you will appreciate, access to the database is restricted to relevant health professionals and researchers. As such could you please email some further information about your area of work and reasons for wanting access to the database so that your request can be assessed.

Regards

Zoe Davey
St George's, University of London
Cranmer Terrace

If that's not big brother, what is? ;)

'

This creeps the FUCK out of me.

Every anti-drug program or agency in existence has purported their cause to be safety of the populace. Why are people so quick to back these guys up just because they recognize certain complexities of the issue better than most anti-drug programs? The bottom line is they are a governmental agency which monitors the private life of groups of people so as to better control and regulate them.

This is pretty ridiculous.

It's also probably pretty ridiculously ineffective like most of the tools prohibitionists use. (Including past and future rushes to legislation)

This creeps the FUCK out of me.

Every anti-drug program or agency in existence has purported their cause to be safety of the populace. Why are people so quick to back these guys up just because they recognize certain complexities of the issue better than most anti-drug programs? The bottom line is they are a governmental agency which monitors the private life of groups of people so as to better control and regulate them.

Yeah, government backed concern for medical safety of users is a joke. This seems like a powerful tool to nitpick personal reports for some more propaganda and "evidence" towards bills.

Let's hope they don't find out more about our favorite ROA: Eyeballing for life man! (Yeah big brother, me and my friends are always down to eyeball some meph when we have to.)

Wait, I thought this was some independent research firm or something...

Then this is Big Brother.

However, we really don't have a reasonable expecation of privacy on message boards. After all, anyone can come here if they know about this site and read anything that guests can view. Even if this forum were unviewable by guests, it'd still be just as easy to register.

Invasion of privacy would come in if they're tapping your phones, hacking your email, bugging your house, ect. or just spying on you where you DO have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

In other words, anything that you post that is publicly viewable isn't private.

However, we really don't have a reasonable expecation of privacy on message boards. After all, anyone can come here if they know about this site and read anything that guests can view. Even if this forum were unviewable by guests, it'd still be just as easy to register.

Invasion of privacy would come in if they're tapping your phones, hacking your email, bugging your house, ect. or just spying on you where you DO have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

In other words, anything that you post that is publicly viewable isn't private.

True, but there's a difference between information being openly viewable to the public (a generalized population) and large-scale information being scoped out by an "integrated mapping and monitoring system".

I'm not saying that what they're doing should be illegal, or anything like that. Just that it's outrageous. And that I am indeed "creeped out".

. Why are people so quick to back these guys up just because they recognize certain complexities of the issue better than most anti-drug programs? The bottom line is they are a governmental agency which monitors the private life of groups of people so as to better control and regulate them.

Why are people so quick to assume they are being manipulated? When you assume that, youv'e already been done.

I honestly do not give two fucks if anyone knows that I like drugs- my like for drugs is, most likely, very very low on any governments agenda. They want more economic power, not power over our minds...Unless you think they do- and then, once again, your done.

Big Brother is not watching, and if he is, he's missin the good bits; like the fact our world is dying and that people don't care.

no, hopefully the dinosaurs will wake up and understand

EVERYONE DOES DRUGS

"There is a vast array of medical and psychological literature available on drug abuse and recreational drug use. However, scientific journals and references books are not an adequate resource for gaining technical knowledge of novel recreational compounds as most of the information about new drugs and new trends is not evidence-based."

Wow, about time, talk about slow on the uptake?
How the f**k didn't they realize that the best place to find the unbiased truth about modern drug use was on the one place where anyone is free to post their opinion to the world earlier... This does creep me out, sounds like they're just trying to formulate better ways to regulate drug use in general, not just abuse.