• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Does taking antipsychotics medication make you dumb

Boku_

Bluelighter
I mean before I was prescribed this type of medication I used to say smart shit on the internet all the time, now nada nothing

Some worse than others. But Haldol is like operating at 20%. Invega is like operating at 50%. I find they make you dumb, but marijuana helps to improve cognitive function for me.

Everyone probably has a different opinion on this.

I wouldn't use the word dumb. I would say they make you slow and apathetic.

However you do eventually adjust and it's not so bad.

For me the worst side effect was weight gain. Even that wasn't that extreme. I gained about 15lbs over a year.

@SnafuInTheVoid Weight gain is major side effect. I've gained about 10-15lbs a year for going on 11 years now. So over 100lbs.

Yep, There's studies that show long term use they cause Brain damage.

It's all everywhere on the innanet. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3476840/

Just ask anyone in the Invega thread.
I’m not denying what you’re saying I was simply interested in a study you had seen.
That study is very interesting actually so thanks for sharing that.
I would say though that the use of antipsychotics when weighed up with the fact that a lot of those schizophrenic patients were unmedicated is warranted. It also mentions that the subjects used illicit drugs and alcohol. Just to say though, there is no doubt, using antipsychotics do cause measurable change to the brain.

I'd heavily recommend the book referred to in the Adam James article above, Joanna Moncrieff's "The Myth of the Chemical Cure". Tremendous piece of work.

If I owned one, I'd bet my house that in 60 years time we'll look back on this era's mental health "treatment" with a similar horror to ours when we consider lobotomy and other previous "treatmants"

We are merely scratching the surface of mental health treatment/understanding. Any mental health pro who thinks any differently (and their are many, specifically perhaps many of the medical-model gods (psychiatry), needs to get a fucking grip and if not then preferably another career.

Intelligence is aware of what is does not know

I'd heavily recommend the book referred to in the Adam James article above, Joanna Moncrieff's "The Myth of the Chemical Cure". Tremendous piece of work.

If I owned one, I'd bet my house that in 60 years time we'll look back on this era's mental health "treatment" with a similar horror to ours when we consider lobotomy and other previous "treatmants"

We are merely scratching the surface of mental health treatment/understanding. Any mental health pro who thinks any differently (and their are many, specifically perhaps many of the medical-model gods (psychiatry), needs to get a fucking grip and if not then preferably another career.

Intelligence is aware of what is does not know
Tbh, I have participated in a lot of studies with antipsychotics and some results are jarring.

I will definitely order that book, thanks for the suggestion.

I’m not denying what you’re saying I was simply interested in a study you had seen.
That study is very interesting actually so thanks for sharing that.
I would say though that the use of antipsychotics when weighed up with the fact that a lot of those schizophrenic patients were unmedicated is warranted. It also mentions that the subjects used illicit drugs and alcohol. Just to say though, there is no doubt, using antipsychotics do cause measurable change to the brain.
Ask in the Invega thread do you have the legit link to do antipsychotics cause brain damage?

or just do a google search "do antipsychotics cause brain damage"

Ask in the Invega thread do you have the legit link to do antipsychotics cause brain damage?

or just do a google search "do antipsychotics cause brain damage"
You just linked me the study that literally showed that -

“Viewed together with data from animal studies, our study suggests that antipsychotics have a subtle but measurable influence on brain tissue loss over time, suggesting the importance of careful risk-benefit review of dosage and duration of treatment as well as their off-label use.”

Stay the fuck away from Antipsychotics, I know they are bliss for sleeping but the price you have to pay for, is too damn high, mainly weight gain (I myself got 30kgs+ and needed like 2 years to get back in shape), but also Parkinson, Apathy, and much more shit.

Not to mention I did the most stupid things while on Antipsychotics, like cooking whit closed eyes, burning the house, sleeping in weird places, injuring myself... all because the brain is half sleeping and half woke while on antipsychotics.
I tried Olanzapine, Haloperidol, Quetiapine, Abilify, Chlorpromazine, Promazine, Levomepromazine, Clozapine, the list goes on. Never on a daily basic, but just randomly like recreational use just to "have fun" (basically going to sleep).
I can't imagine long term effects, but well, this is my experience, don't fall for this shit, you can seriously damaging yourself both mentally and physically
Yeah I've used em for sleep sometimes. Other times I was forced to take them.

The Psychiatrists and Doctors who prescribe them should be forced to take them first to see all the side effects that they bring.

You just linked me the study that literally showed that -

“Viewed together with data from animal studies, our study suggests that antipsychotics have a subtle but measurable influence on brain tissue loss over time, suggesting the importance of careful risk-benefit review of dosage and duration of treatment as well as their off-label use.”
Na there's a better one, not on Animals but Humans. I'll find it.

Na there's a better one, not on Animals but Humans. I'll find it.
Did you read the study you linked me? Yes there were some animal testing results taken into account but the bulk was human subjects. In fact it’s very comprehensive.

“Extending our previous work, the present study has the largest available cohort of schizophrenia patients who have undergone longitudinal MRI assessments.
We examined 211 patients and collected 674 high-resolution MRI brain scans (averaging 3 scans per patient; at least 2 and up to 5 per patient) over an extended period (mean, 7 years; up to 14 years). Furthermore, multiple within-patient MRI scans coupled with an extensive clinical database provide for more robust estimates of brain volume trajectories.”

Did you read the study you linked me? Yes there were some animal testing results taken into account but the bulk was human subjects. In fact it’s very comprehensive.

“Extending our previous work, the present study has the largest available cohort of schizophrenia patients who have undergone longitudinal MRI assessments.
We examined 211 patients and collected 674 high-resolution MRI brain scans (averaging 3 scans per patient; at least 2 and up to 5 per patient) over an extended period (mean, 7 years; up to 14 years). Furthermore, multiple within-patient MRI scans coupled with an extensive clinical database provide for more robust estimates of brain volume trajectories.”
Yes I read most of it. Skipped past a bit.

I'll find the link that shows patietns who didn't take drugs.

I was on chlorpromazine for a while and it really dumbed me down, had to stop taking it gradually for my old self (if there really was one) to come back and start enjoying things again. Took the joy from everything at the time.