• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does Salvia (k-opioid) Reverse Tolerance Reset Itself?

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
We all know that with most psychoactive substances, tolerance builds with frequent use. And, if you want to get your tolerance back to baseline, you take a break from the substance for a while.

However, Salvia has a peculiar attribute--reverse tolerance. The more you do, the less you need to achieve the same intensity of effects. I have experienced this personally with frequent Salvia use. My sensitivity to k-opioid agonism is so strong, indeed, that peppermint tea--which is a weak k-opioid agonist--reminds me of the first glimmers of Salvia Space.

But does this sensitivity reset itself as well? I had peppermint tea a few weeks ago after abstaining from Salvia for about 6 months, and I felt really weird and altered. So, I am worried that I am permanently over-sensitive.

If time would not bring it back to normal, would Iboga? But even Iboga is a k-opioid agonist (among many other things).

Perhaps this thread is for ADD (or what was formerly ADD). Mods place accordingly.

Thanks.

RS, you seem to be the trailblazer with different methods of using Salvia. I have smoked and quidded since 1999. The first few tries with plain leaf was just a little confusing. Once I broke through with a little 5x I never needed an extract again and plain leaf in a tobacco pipe always worked.

But I if you asking if the reverse tolerance reset happens, where if you don't use for a good while you need to be broken in again for it to work I am not sure. That has never happened to me with 6 months in between. I can say though that one time after a break I tried some Hawaiian leaf I had not used in years and ripped it. I felt like I entered an empty room, no gravity or voices or joshing around with me, just an empty hall and it was a strange experience. I thought maybe the Salvia had lost potency, but that was not the case. Because a few months later the same Salvia propelled me into a very deep Salvia space. I don't think that had to do with tolerance. And I don't have a good explanation other than Lady Salvia didn't want to come out and play that one night out of all my tries. Not very scientific I know, but I don't think there are studies enough yet to formulate some scientific reasons why Saliva, and DMT to an extent only work when THEY want to work. ;)

I love Salvia, it as helped me greatly in the last 16 years. Perspective, centering, and insightful. I still want to try the tea method that you (RS) have written about. My one tea try did nothing and I still can't get quidding where I want it. I only have used rehydrated leaf though. But smoking plain leaf always works for me, some events are filled with long stories, some just come out and kiss me for a minute and retreat. But I always say 'thank you" as I leave these realms. It has been good to me and I appreciate it. I know the havoc it can create in others. For some reason it is a wonderful ally of mine. And if it is considered an atypical dissociative, then it is the only dissociative I will use other than the occasional N20. I feel prestine aftwards. I am excited to learn more science on it. It opens up a lot on how the brain/mind works. Once time as I was meditating after the experience, about 10 minutes after, I went to concentrate on a pinpoint of light, and as I focused I saw clearly how I WAS that point of light as well as the person that was going to focus on it. Hard to describe.

And lastly, I appreciate all you have written for Salvia on the internet, all boards RS. Good stuff and you are respected from where I am looking.

I respect any folks who respect salvia. What up salvia spirit fam!

Well I wrote more but bluelight keeps deleting the rest of my post as well as the hearts I keep trying to post. Weird. I never got effects like that when I was smoking salvia frequently, but do keep us updated, seems like you're pioneering something here.

Salvia reverse tolerance has never reset for me even after years of abstaining, and I've never heard anyone else say it has for them either. I wouldn't be surprised if it just stays that way forever, personally. I could see it maybe going away after like half a decade or more, but even then I'd be hesitant to say so.... For me salvia feels like one of those weird illusions where when you manage to focus the right way you finally see the image behind the seemingly random chaos, and then after that you never forget how to see it again.

Thank you for all your replies. I sort of forgot about this thread until now. Thank you for the kind words, JackARoe. It seems like people's salvia sensitivity does NOT reset.

Speaking of which, ..........iboga.

I recently had an amazing time while microdosing iboga, except that I didn't even take it. I smelled it. Twice. *That* is how sensitive I am. Seeing how iboga has kappa-opioid receptor activity like Salvia does, it might be connected.

EDIT: A few days later, I actually *did* take it, about 20mg of rootbark, and it put me in an iboga-like coma for 2 hours. Holy crap. Extreme sensitivity.

Iboga is known for resetting tolerances, and undoing the long-term effects of many drugs. I wonder if it will have this effect on the kappa-opioid receptors?

What it feels like to me is that Salvia has opened my eyes to some very deep layers of the world and how it works, and I cannot un-see. It's actually quite terrifying.

But what I *can* do, hopefully, is change my relationship to that knowledge. Just because I am aware of something doesn't mean I have to pay attention to it. It doesn't mean that it relates to me, and it doesn't mean I have to act on it. I hope I can come to this understanding.

Because as of now, I am overwhelmed with knowledge, to the point of paralyzation.

JackARoe, as someone who has also worked repeatedly and extensively with Salvia, can you relate to this? Do you have any words of wisdom for me?

RS, how would you recommend beginning to work with salvia?

Hi Psy,
As someone who is still trying to reconcile the aftereffects of my Salvia use, I can't say I recommend it. But, if you feel it calls to you, I would recommend quidding, or making the tea. Never smoke. I do not believe it is "meant" to be smoked. That's not how the Mazatecs use it, anyway.

My most spiritually productive trips were the ones that were the "weakest," where the effect was subtle. And those were VERY spiritually productive--life changing.
-RS

Thank you for all your replies. I sort of forgot about this thread until now. Thank you for the kind words, JackARoe. It seems like people's salvia sensitivity does NOT reset.

JackARoe, as someone who has also worked repeatedly and extensively with Salvia, can you relate to this? Do you have any words of wisdom for me?

I too forgot about this thread until I logged in and saw this. Hmmm, I look to you all for words of wisdom. :D I can relate to the layers of Wisdom. About 2 months ago I had an excellent experience with plain leaf. I had a song in my head for the whole day. In my silent dark room I smoked and the song in my head became an actual song in another dimension and some patterning danced around it as if it was really playing. From there I realized this song in my head was from a recording from years ago. And that recording was a few beings singing from the heart and captured it in time and space (a recording) and for some reason that blew my mind how it all came together.

Also, I am looking for better quidding and tea experiences. I do primarily smoke and it is my opinion that smoked is just fine. It seems to me Salvia introduced itself to the World through smoking. So as I can respect the tribes that frown upon that, but Salvia brings a lot of people knowledge and wisdom through smoking too. So it did expand to that level, at least for me. But at some point I will have satisfying quid or tea experiences too.

Hi, Recently I ordered some 5x stuff, which I assume is meant to be smoked. Someone was saying 0.1g was too overwhelming.. Any recommended dose?

@popgroup check erowid for 5X doses. they have .05 to .1 grams listed as a light dose. the person you consulted may have a reverse tolerance, like the people talking in this thread, or they might naturally be more sensitive to salvia's effects.

Iboga is known for resetting tolerances, and undoing the long-term effects of many drugs. I wonder if it will have this effect on the kappa-opioid receptors?

It may achieve this 'resetting' through the kappa-opioid receptors though, so the effects of Salvia may be a notable (if unfortunate, in your case!) exception.

Also, I am looking for better quidding and tea experiences. I do primarily smoke and it is my opinion that smoked is just fine. It seems to me Salvia introduced itself to the World through smoking. So as I can respect the tribes that frown upon that, but Salvia brings a lot of people knowledge and wisdom through smoking too. So it did expand to that level, at least for me. But at some point I will have satisfying quid or tea experiences too.

Salvia only made it to the Mazatecs in the recent past, and they see it as something that came from the outside. It would be strange if they frown upon the smoking of it (although they may well do so). Smoking is extremely effective, so it all becomes about controlling dose (because it really is a different beast at low and high doses).

lol, Didn't see how ironic that title was. Sort of reminds me of sentences like "everything I say is a lie". Which would mean lying and telling the truth.

Wait, what was your question again? :)

Hah, I didn't mean for it to be a self-recursive thing. I don't mean salvia tolerance resetting itself via more salvia use, I meant resetting itself via other means, like time, iboga, or anything else.

Hehe yeah that's a paradox ^.. However not all self-reference or recursion refers to a paradox. Often it's just about something describing basically itself again like 'tolerance to tolerance'. Just recursive.. no paradox there