Does milk interfere with protein absorption? Reality or myth?

oxymuffin

Bluelighter
Hi,

There's been many talk about how and why lactose could interfere with protein absorption, and therefore milk shouldn't be taken with whey, albumin or any protein powder.

But after reading a few articles and thread discussions I still don't have a definite answer. I fail to see how exactly lactose interacts with protein absorption other than slowing it down a lil bit.

I do take my post workout whey with water but I have 3 others protein shakes a day that I like include milk, specifically to increase my daily protein intake.

No.

There's been studies that suggest that adding milk to your whey gives it an even better amino profile for protein synthesis.

Also: Dude, it's fucking milk. It's nature's protein that makes you grow. We've had this before we ate meat.

If anything I would think the fat in milk slowing digestion would enable the body to absorb more protein. Plus it tastes better with whey than water. Today I blend smoothies with my whey: fruits, Greek yogurt, and fruit juices. Delicious and nutritious

Personally I've noticed since cutting milk out of my diet I'm less bloated and digestion is overall better and comfortable.

I actually just began to cut milk out of my diet a few days ago as I'm constantly feeling bloated and my digestion seems off, I'm not sure if milk is the culprit but that was my first guess. I figure I'll know in about a week.

I actually just began to cut milk out of my diet a few days ago as I'm constantly feeling bloated and my digestion seems off, I'm not sure if milk is the culprit but that was my first guess. I figure I'll know in about a week.

My partner is always advised to drop milk/dairy pre-contest to avoid bloat and other issues...

lactose = milk sugar. sugars (carbohydrates) in general slow the digestion of protein because of the differences in how they are digested. the best explanation i can find with a quick googlefu is here.

if you feel bloated from milk, that means you are lactose intolerant. kefir and greek yogurt are excellent replacements for milk as the lactose content in those products are reduced but the protein content is high (11g per serving of greek yogurt).

the other consideration in regards to dairy products is that they contain two types of protein: casein and whey. casein is slow to digest and also slows the digestion of whey, and so whey protein products are basically just derived from dairy with the casein separated out (which is why they're called whey protein isolates).

imho none of this matters as much as focusing on hitting your RDI of protein and fibre to reduce your daily net carb intake (which, if you eat enough fibre, can be less than someone on a high-carb diet and leave you with a stronger daily energy profile)

there are numerous things that slow the digestive process, demonizing milk seems like splitting hairs

imho none of this matters as much as focusing on hitting your RDI of protein and fibre to reduce your daily net carb intake (which, if you eat enough fibre, can be less than someone on a high-carb diet and leave you with a stronger daily energy profile)

Thanks for the info, Thujone...though could I please get some elaboration on the above? I've not quite understood the term 'net carbs' when considering fibre intake....the whole 1g carb = 4cal thing gets a little confusing for me when it comes to fibre (great example that first brought this to my attention would be Quest Nutrition protein bars. Below is an example nutrition information chart....if fibre counts as carbs in some way, how can you get 180 cal from all this??

(SORRY TO DIGRESS!! hahaha)

Screen-Shot-2014-02-21-at-4.08.37-PM.png

there are more effects on digestion in the GI (gastrointestinal) tract (keeps you regular, absorbs toxins), but more specifically for bodybuilding fibre slows the digestion of carbs, lowering the GI (glycemic index) of foods, and preventing the crash in energy that comes after the insulin spike you get from consuming simple carbs lacking in fibre. this article breaks it down pretty well.

oatmeal, a low-GI food, contains carbs, fibre and protein is fairly common as a bodybuilding staple food for that reason. i don't know about "rule 3" in that article i linked but i guess it depends on your physical makeup, goals and such. i do my workouts right before lunch and don't snack after breakfast so i find that my energy just won't last long enough if i don't start the day with a big bowl of oatmeal and some extra protein.