• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

does mephedrone lower intelligence/cause irreversible brain damage?

fluxin

Greenlighter
does mephedrone lower intelligence/cause irreversible brain damage?

We would have to determine the mechanism of action that mephedrone could cause damage to the system.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25817894

Unfortunately these are non human studies, but may serve as a useful springboard for you to research the way oxidative stress may influence damage to the body. I am taking: sleep deprivation, appetite suppression ( which would in turn result in less adequate nutrition, ) and other factors into mind. I wouldn't be surprised if substances like Emblica officinalis could help after. I found Ashwagandha useful for post stimulant use, but that should not be combined while on stimulants.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11037017

No ?? Is it really just as simple as that....To be honest I love your answer and wish I could believe in it but....I just can't...Please explain why your so certain that it doesn't.

I read a study that said it didn't cause Mdxx/methylone type damage. However, to qualify my "no" answer somewhat, it did decrease short term memory slightly. That was the only observed negative effect.

Yeah I think I know the study your talking about but...I'm sure there was another more recebt one (No doubt they were going out of their way to prove that it was Neurotoxic) that seemed to show some damage....Anyway I truly hope your right Meph. does seem quite benign in comparison to alot of other drugs...I only wish there were more advanced scans etc. so that we could have a definitive answer on this and other Narcs. would put my mind at rest....Thanks for the reply anyway.

For one thing, it only lasts like 1 hour versus 12 for something like methamphetamine, and even methamphetamine can be used in large quantities for years and years without causing overt, debilitating neurotoxicity. Throws on flameproof suit...

I only question it as I SEEM to have sustained some quite severe damage from using.on just one occasion though I used a number of times before this....I used in excess of.course but less than I've seen and heard reported (The likes Of Gram lines etc. :/)....Yeah I understand the Half life.is very short which can only be a good thing in terms of toxicity.....Anyway I only hope your right and my symptoms are of something else.

After using 3-MMC for several months on and off my cognitive abilities were quite decreased, I had problems memorizing stuff, and I generally felt worn out. Another weird symptom was numbing and tingling in hands at night or in the morning after waking up, I've got no idea what mechanism is behind this and this is related, but I guess it might have something to do with peripheral nervous system activity. Perhaps someone can shed some light on how it may have been related to cathinones use. Anyway, it took me like 3 months to start feeling more normal and now over one year later I don't feel any lasting negative effects. But I bet if you take mephedrone or a related short-acting cathinone regularly for a long period of time, it may change you for good. There are many people suffering from long-term negative effects due to excessive mephedrone use, it's hard to say whether it might be a result of some kind of permanent damage or it's more like a reversible "trauma".

I don't know. If it gave you damage, then it probably does. It seems like a drug as mind altering as 4-MMC/mephedrone would give some type of brain damage. I mean, most psychoactive prescription drugs cause cancer, for example, and probably have not (for a rea$on) been looked into as brain damaging drugs (not nearly as much as MDMA has anyway). I did read about one study about 15 years ago saying that SSRIs produce the same brain changes as MDMA. The doctor quoted in the article said, "If you do not want to have some kind of brain changes, then you really probably shouldn't be taking a psychoative drug."

^ pretty much, i guess anyway...

There are so many aspects of cognition/intelligence, some of them such as semantic prminig, increased in schizophrenics for example. Not only one thing to be named 'intelligence' and to be objectively and easily measured. And a drug doesn't have to kill neurons to do some harm to the mind anyway.

Whatever, im not formally educated about the subject...

Still, i bet taking too much mephedrone CANT be good for you...

I did read about one study about 15 years ago saying that SSRIs produce the same brain changes as MDMA. The doctor quoted in the article said, "If you do not want to have some kind of brain changes, then you really probably shouldn't be taking a psychoative drug."

I've never heard of anything like that, I'm quite eager to read that study myself.

Yeah, big pharma doesn't exactly advertise those findings in People magazine. I think the blurb I read in reference to this study was in Psychology Today around 2005 maybe? Anyway, I swear I didn't make it up.

Yeah, big pharma doesn't exactly advertise those findings in People magazine. I think the blurb I read in reference to this study was in Psychology Today around 2005 maybe? Anyway, I swear I didn't make it up.

Oh yea I'm sure you didn't I just want to evaluate the evidence myself. Things get lost in translation when he said she said he said this was that. I don't get most of my science from People magazine anyways believe it or not, so I'm still interested in seeing the original study that led to that claim.