• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does melatonin give anyone else nightmares?

I get much more intense dreams on melatonin and my dreams are naturally already very intense, I remember most of them every night, atleast serveral dreams, they are always full colour HD and lucid around half of the time. Melatonin makes them even more absurd and while normally I barely ever have nightmares, with melatonin I get nightmares around half of the time, had the first nightmare in like 10 years on melatonin. Goes for 3 mg doses; I get those for delayed sleep phase syndrome; it works really, really well, especially in those doses, I can live with the risk of nightmares if I have to get up early because else I won't sleep long enough.

just smoke buds and u wont dream at all and go right to sleep and stay asleep for a looooooooooong time

I still dream a lót when I smoke hash or weed to sleep, and I smoke hash and weed every day and minus a two month break have been doing so for around 7 years, still dream insane amounts, quitting weed doesn't even make thát much of a difference. Most people dream a lot less when sleeping on cannabis though. Melatonin is still useful though, it's also an antioxidant that passes the blood brain barrier so as a supplement even when one has no sleep issues there are reasons to take it.

I still dream a lót when I smoke hash or weed to sleep, and I smoke hash and weed every day and minus a two month break have been doing so for around 7 years, still dream insane amounts, quitting weed doesn't even make thát much of a difference. Most people dream a lot less when sleeping on cannabis though. Melatonin is still useful though, it's also an antioxidant that passes the blood brain barrier so as a supplement even when one has no sleep issues there are reasons to take it.
Really?! wow are u sure ur gettin stoned enough? i mean hash is great but hash can also be shit too usually like the 3rd batch is best and bubble hash is just garbage

because when i go to sleep stoned i dont dream at well ok we all dream but i dont remember or experience any of em

Last edited:
i've been smoking bud every day for years and i love it but i've found it definitely reduces dreams and/or dream recall (though even before i ever started smoking bud i never was able to remember much in the way of dreams). it's a small price to pay for a good high but i wouldn't mind dreaming a bit more - or having the chance to enjoy a lucid dream or two - which is why i was curious about the melatonin. bud is definitely a fabulous sleep aid all its own.

either way, melatonin will cause you have to have more vivid dreams which could possibly turn into nightmares. Same goes for 5-htp. You are essentially supplementing the 'dream chemicals' in your brain with these substances so it's no surprise you'll have dreams. In fact lucid dreamers often use melatonin/5-htp for these reasons specifically.
So very true. I went to a rehab in arizona that gave all of us high doses of melatonin/5 htp at night for sleep. But both of those combined gave me terrible nightmares where I woke up screaming and sweating many of the nights. If I do use anything natural to try and help me sleep now it would be a low dose of melatonin like you mentioned.
For me being a shiftworker like I have too nowdays, I have to use something that makes me sleep for sure like zolpidem.

combine good sleep hygiene with 1mg of melatonin and try not to fall asleep. take 1mg, in 10min, go into a completely dark and soundless room. sleep well. or just take 60mg of temazepam and pass out. i usually do the latter.

So very true. I went to a rehab in arizona that gave all of us high doses of melatonin/5 htp at night for sleep. But both of those combined gave me terrible nightmares where I woke up screaming and sweating many of the nights.

Uh right. Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you were detoxing?

i've been smoking bud every day for years and i love it but i've found it definitely reduces dreams and/or dream recall (though even before i ever started smoking bud i never was able to remember much in the way of dreams). it's a small price to pay for a good high but i wouldn't mind dreaming a bit more - or having the chance to enjoy a lucid dream or two - which is why i was curious about the melatonin. bud is definitely a fabulous sleep aid all its own.

I find the opposite. I don't smoke weed much, but when I do, I find I have very vivid dreams. I do take 1 to 2 mg of melatonin every night. To me it's the best sleep-aid i've ever had.

Too big a tolerance for weed to make me sleepy on its own anymore :( Whenever I come back from a night out and roll a knockout spliff I usually just end up getting hungry and spending too much time making and eating food rather than sleeping.

For me the main way that melatonin alters sleep is that it makes me perceive my sleeps as being much longer. I can wake up after 3 hours feeling like I have slept 8. I look at the clock being pleasantly surprised and immediately fall asleep again. "Nightmares" and very vivid and intense dreams occur most of the time as well, although I feel that I am more emotionally detached from the dreams and that there is perhaps a very slight reduction in my recollection of dreams. In my experience 1-3mg is foolproof as a sleep aid. Sleep comes in about 5 minutes if I lie down at least 30 minutes after taking the melatonin. My experience with psychedellics ("HPPD") can make things psychoactive for me which aren't for others. I found that the first couple times I took melatonin it was very intensely psychoactive, but after that it was non-psychoactive. The evidence that we have at the current time seems to suggest that taking a melatonin supplement is very beneficial. Without it everybody is in a chronic state of melatonin depletion, which can increase the risk for a number of diseases (eg., cancer). Eliminating artificially produced electromagnetic energy in the spectrum of visible light and in the microwave/RF spectrum is virtually impossible in most parts of the world. These frequencies will interfere with natural melatonin production at night. The most common symptom of exposure to microwave radiation and decreased melatonin production is tinnitus. A melatonin supplement eliminated this for me, whereas it was fairly constant prior to supplementation. Some may disagree with my analysis or question the accuracy of this information, but that is my 2 cents.

I find that melatonin tends to give me quite vivid dreams, but usually towards the second phase of my sleep and suppresses my dreams during my first phase. I think that's well documented actually - a lot of people experience nightmares when supplementing melatonin.

Yeah, vivid dreams and nightmares are a common side effect of melatonin. Especially if you take too much.

The same goes for 5-http which is a precursor to melatonin and serotonin. That stuff gives me the most pronounced and vivid nightmares. I don't know why - but apparently lots of people also suffer from this problem. I think the excess melatonin means that more serotonin is left in the brain and unsynthesized - hence the vivid nightmares. With 5-htp both serotonin and melatonin are produced so that's most likely why.

whoever posted with the "less is more" idea....thank you!

I used to take two or three 3mg pills to put myself into a deep sleep. It worked well, I had some awesome dreams, slept perfectly, and woke up okay, but I did find myself to be slightly "off" throughout the day...just slightly, but still noticeable enough.

Lately I've been taking those 3mg pills and breaking them in half and only taking 1.5mg. Wow...perfect. I mean the sleep is just as good, but it's so much easier to wake up, and no groggy feeling at all, nothing nada zip.

great call. thank you again

whoever posted with the "less is more" idea....thank you!

I used to take two or three 3mg pills to put myself into a deep sleep. It worked well, I had some awesome dreams, slept perfectly, and woke up okay, but I did find myself to be slightly "off" throughout the day...just slightly, but still noticeable enough.

Lately I've been taking those 3mg pills and breaking them in half and only taking 1.5mg. Wow...perfect. I mean the sleep is just as good, but it's so much easier to wake up, and no groggy feeling at all, nothing nada zip.

great call. thank you again

Yep, I can't stress this enough. I stated it in another melatonin thread. Doses above 3mg are pointless and are probably just going to make you restless.

I couldn't sleep when I first moved to my new apartment in Denver, and so my mother gave me a bottle of melatonin pills. They smelled nice like strawberries. So before bed, I took three... and I woke up to hallucinating that there was a tarantula in my room... seriously looked real; and it was like moving around as though he was floating in air. It really freaked me out because spiders (and snakes) scare me hardcore.

But anyway it was so realistic that I freaked out and didn't want to leave my bed as I stood on top of it calling the office yelling at them that theres a tarantula in my room! I swear this has never happened to me before. So they sent their maintenance people up and went through my closet and of course didn't find any spiders, let alone a tarantula.

Since this occurrence, I never took more than 2 pills... so thank you for the opportunity to share my melatonin "waking up in a nightmare" story with you.

I get weird vivid dreams. I haven't had nightmares since I was a teenager except for when withdrawing from drugs. If you suffer from vivid dreams from melatonin lower the dose. Usually more melatonin just produces more dreams without much effect on sleep quality anyway. I find 2-3mg to be the sweetspot.

Vivid dreams yes, often confusing and intense, but not really nightmares.

1mg works just as good as 6mg for sleep, in my experience. Sometimes less is more!

ya melatonin causes very, very intense dreams. Feel real.

The most far out sleep you can get imo is valerian root + 5-htp. That can give you experiences that feel more real than being awake.