• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does melatonin give anyone else nightmares?

I too have had nightmares when taking this substance, probably the worst I can remember, what makes it bad is you body can't like jolt awake as easy.

Definitely gives me nightmares. They're so bad that I don't take Melatonin. Which is a shame because it works so well at putting me to sleep.

I've never had nightmares from it in low or high doses; but if you take it with Vitamin B3 you will get very vivid dreams.

If you're prone to having nightmares without it, then I guess your nightmares may become even worse after melatonin. I used to have very vivid nightmares after quitting benzodiazepines, I still often have very vivid dreams, especially after taking melatonin, sometimes they also become lucid towards the very end when I realize everything is too weird to be happening for real, then I'm trying to do something that would kill me in the real world which always ends the nightmare.=D

I've been taking this stuff since January without any noticeable nightmares.

My doses used to be really high (like 15-25mg) due to my body's natural ability to sleep being affected when I got off Valium and ambien.

I had been taking 5-10mg at this point but they leave me very groggy and tired in the morning and the tiredness can last all day. This week I got 3mg pills and one did the job of having me fall asleep, although I woke up several times throughout the night and didn't sleep as long, I still had the tiredness throughout the day.

Would 1mg pills be better or, due to my body continuing to heal, would it be too weak for me?

The dose of melatonin that is capable of helping you fall asleep is actually much much less than the amount put in pills. I've got 5mg pills and I cut them in quarters. I guess 1mg is enough and it doesn't cause the restlessness associated with higher doses. I got off benzodiazepines over a year ago too and higher doses never provided better effects than lower ones.

Yeah I get a lot of nightmares if I take too much which for me is often 4ml or more.

However, I think once your tolerance raises you have them less because now I can take 4ml and not get them.

But whether or not I have nightmares I ALWAYS have Crazy dreams of one kind or another if I take more than like 2mls.

I never ever had any nightmares when I was using melatonin, only very vivid dreams though that would only happens sometimes not everyday.

I find that if I take a 5mg pill the night before overseas flights (over 10 hours), then half way through the flight and then each night for the first week in a new time zone it really helps me with jet lag. I either don't get it at all or it passes way faster but I have noticed my dreams are much more vivid. Not nightmares but a notable difference in vividness and my ability to recall the dreams and the detail. I have heard that less is better with 5mg at the limit and any more than that and it stops being effective. I didn't realize 1mg is better than 3mg, very cool to know! Thanks :)

I was taking 3-4 3 mg. mellies/night. I hadn't taken them in over a year. My days and nights were getting messed up, so I figured why not? They work, fast! Asleep in 30 seconds at 8 p.m. but the nightmares were ridiculous! I am prone to crazy dreams and nightmares...i had probably 4-5 long nightmares. First one was about the end of the world, (getting bombed, shot in the head, dodging airplanes crashing next to me)..the next dream I had blacked out in my dream (at a bar from one drink), and spent the next two dreams trying to figure that one out. Very tiring and disturbing...but I love sleeping...night night

I've been taking 3 mg pills almost every night for ~ the past year. I don't think I've ever gotten any nightmares from it. The only bad thing I've gotten is sometimes a much slower start to the next day, but that's it. (I've begun cutting the pills in half to decrease that, and it seems to have worked).

From what I've heard, I think the nightmares are more common when it's combined with 5-HTP.

I'm a chronic insomniac and I take between 10-20mg a night as needed and it's never given me nightmares. I also take before bed 900mg gabapentin, 20mg baclofen, 15mg Remeron (mirtazapine) and 75mg doxepin.

Melatonin has never given me night mares. I mix it with a few things. The one thing that did causes stranger than weird dreams was propranolol... melatonin seems to help me have a better quality sleep. I do not however take propranolol anymore, at all!

It just makes me dream more, but not nightmares. And even nightmares i guess are good, they let you know yourself better :)
It just akes me dizzier before i wake up

I wish I had read the first part of this thread more closely. I've been taking way too much. No wonder I haven't been getting good results.

I know I'm 3 years late but I still see people responding to this so I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. :) I started taking melatonin 1mg a few months ago. I stopped at a vitamin store and was looking for something to help with my calorie intake when I came across melatonin. I've always had a rough time sleeping ever since I was a child. From the age of 5-15 I'd wake my mother up a few times a month at 2 a.m. in tears because I could not fall asleep. I was prescribed a variety of medications at one time or another, but I have found melatonin to be the best of the bunch (a very low dose of a benzodiazepine does the trick however they are very addictive so probably not your best bet if you have trouble sleeping every night, oh and another thing, steer clear of AMBIEN!!) I was taking melatonin 3-5 times a week, I just loved it. Within a half an hour of taking one 1mg I'd feel drowsy and would drift right off into sleep. That is until a couple of weeks ago, I ran out. I resorted to Tylenol pm as I kept putting off going to the store to get more. (So, like you, I had a 2-3 week gap in between when I first began taking it, stopped and started with it again.) I went to pick up a bottle and I noticed they didn't have any 1 mg bottles. I assume they were out of stock and the only ones available were 3mg, I believe 5mg and TEN mg! I couldn't imagine taking 10mg when all it takes is 1 sometimes 2 1 mgs for me to fade into dreamland. I went with the 3mg bottle and called it a day. Tonight will be my 4th night taking it after having that break and I have to say, I've woken up between 2-4 a.m. every morning from an intense, vivid nightmare. The first morning I woke up and remember saying aloud to myself "holy sh*t I'm SO glad that wasn't real." This morning I awoke to a similar feeling. I think I'm going to cut it in half and see how that works, because I'm not liking this nightmare crap at all. I do have to say though, I almost always have nightmares, rarely do I ever have a nice / regular dream but it's never that intense to where I feel odd the first hour or so after awakening. I also noticed that I've been sweating on & off throughout the day, not sure if that has any relation but I will definitely be cutting the tablet in half tonight and see how that goes.
Best of luck to you, hope this helps!?

I took a 3 mg tablet tonight before bed, I used to take it pretty regularly but not any longer. Twice this week I took melatonin and had surreal and vivid nightmares where I realize it during the dream in a moment of lucidity and force myself to wake up.

Trazodone gave me extremely vivid dreams and they were oftentimes so cool,
but melatonin gives me nightmares anymore.

Melatonin does give me super vivid dreams, and if it happens to be a nightmare then it'll be a vivid one.