• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Does cocaine/alcohol turn normal people into psychopaths?

jonaz

Greenlighter
Does cocaine/alcohol (at times) make normal people behave like psychopaths,
or is it only people who are psychopath to begin with that behave this way?

Eh ya, people act crazy on drugs and alcohol. If you're crazy anyway then of course drugs and/or booze can make it worse. This doesn't really seem like OD material though man. You might want to try this in drug culture maybe basic drug discussion. Welcome to bluelight

i would say cocaine and alcohol have a lot more potential to make people crazy than many other drugs (at least when combined) because cocaine is so addictive in the short term and you will completely lose your inhibitions and feel like nothing can go wrong. so people are a lot more likely to act how they are feeling at the time and take more risks.

I used to turn into a completely diff. person when I did a lot of coke and drank. Supposedly when you drink and do coke, they combine in your system and create a completely new compound... causing the user to act like a psycho..... just my experience

normal people don't exist. anyone doing lots of coke and drinking booze are probably far from average anyway, including myself

i never had a problem with it at first but when i started doing it more often i became sensitized to both of them and just felt so horrible i couldn't be around anyone cause i couldn't control my behavior (i wasn't dangerous. i just had too much paranoia and anxiety to be around people and not show it)

crack makes me hella paranoid. i haven't done it in quite a few months and don't plan on doing it again. cocaine yes, but not with alcohol and not in huge amounts. a couple lines in a day is enough really

Best thread title EVER.

No, no man. It's Tylenol/Alcohol, not Cocaine/Alcohol.

I used to turn into a completely diff. person when I did a lot of coke and drank. Supposedly when you drink and do coke, they combine in your system and create a completely new compound... causing the user to act like a psycho..... just my experience

Yeah, cocaethylene. Supposed to be more euphoric and longer lasting, but possibly even more cardiotoxic

Don't know about it technically making people crazy itself

I would say it's more a combination of the loss of inhibition/distortion of judgment of being drunk + the short duration and fiendish nature of cocaine, not simply the chemical itself

yeah whenever i used to drink a ton or do a lot of coke or both, i always felt weird the next day because i couldn't fully remember everything i did and i was always afraid that i had said or done something that i shouldn't have, due to not caring because i was so fucked up. anyway, they definitely both make me act way differently and get out of control more easily. with other drugs like opiates or weed, i feel more reserved and think about what i'm doing more carefully. i never feel weird the next day about doing shit that i shouldn't have after taking these.

i would put benzos, meth, and similar drugs in the same category as alcohol and coke as far as making people crazy. also real psychosis can result from taking too many stimulants, as they primarily release dopamine and once you have too much dopamine in your head you start hallucinating and displaying schizophrenic symptoms (like extreme irrational paranoia), so in this sense stimulants can make anyone psychotic upon taking too much, and it can last up to a few days or even more sometimes if left untreated.

Yeah, cocaethylene. Supposed to be more euphoric and longer lasting, but possibly even more cardiotoxic

You know, I have always heard that before, but never knew if there really was actually a real term for that. Kind of cool to know, and definitely true about the rest of that statement.

Sociopaths are likely to be drug addicts, and poly drug addicts. However, people don't magically turn into sociopaths after having used cocaine, it's more likely that people are born as sociopaths, or their life experience as a child leads them into becoming one. Then as they get older, they turn into coke fiends.

Not everyone who uses one kind of a drug are bad people. It's unfair to say "all cocaine users are psychopaths" IMO.

psychosis is totally different from one being a psychopath. Psychosis is loss of touch with reality and a psychopath is mostly known for not having feelings for others. Totally different.

Drugs can induce both in people who have not shown these characteristics before. Addiction to heroin or crack can have u start showing psychopathic behavior as u only care about ur next fix. When the drug is discontinued, so to the psychopathic characteristics.

As for crack or meth u can go into psychosis u take too much for too long of a time. It also goes away with stopping the drug.

Very few people continue being in psychosis or being psychopaths once the drugs is stopped. Most just become what they were before. If they were psychopaths before then they continue being them, if they are psychosis prone then they might have that, which would have happened regardless if the tried drugs in the first place.

Last edited:
^pretty much spot on.

No drugs cause people to turn into sociopaths but serious addicts may mimic many of diagnostic criteria for such.

Sociopaths have a higher instance of drug addiction so they are more likely to be found in populations that drink and use coke (or whatever drug) but there is no causation based on use.

Drugs also produce disinhibition that would allow sociopaths to feel comfortable acting out their natural impulses... this is why there is a tremendously high rate of drug use (especially alcohol and benzos) during the commission of crimes.

Drugs can also produce psychosis, especially cocaine if used excessively and this can be drug-induced (where it will cease when the person gets sober) or there person may have had latent traits of the psychosis and the drug use brought these out... there is much debate on whether the psychosis would have otherwise presented eventually but there isn't really a way to know.

So... does the alcohol/cocaine mix make people sociopaths? No, but there are many intersections between drug use and mental illness.

To an outside, sober observer, someone high on any drug looks weird. Don't do drugs in front of people who don't take them, you will only ruin your reputation!

As to the long term effect on you life, you become a drug-seeking person. It is worse if the drug is illegal and difficult to procure because all your life resolves around strategies to procure it.

If the OP's question was about the combo C + ethanol, this has been discussed before. South Americans usually combine lines with shots of brandy. But they have access to pure C and do small lines. If you binge on heavily adulterated C (like you will outside SA these days), your combo is C + ethanol + (speed) + (amps) + (ephedrine) + ??

On a more general note, what is certain is that the war-on-drugs can turn whole human Societies into groups of repressive psychopaths. This is why drug users should never own up to accusations of "being psychopaths" without first calling upon Society to clean its act. If you want to take C and have insane thoughts running through your mind in the privacy of you own home, that should be for you to decide and not for overweight rednecks with ugly kids.

Last edited:
i don't think cocaine and alcohol turn people into psychopaths, i think drug cravings in general can turn people into psychopaths and any drug other than weed and psychedelics (in general) can catalize shitty behavior. for example, i become furiously mad on opiates sometimes.

^Weed and psychedelics can catalyze shitty behavior as well... perhaps its not as likely as other drugs mentioned above.

To an outside, sober observer, someone high on any drug looks weird. Don't do drugs in front of people who don't take them, you will only ruin your reputation!

As to the long term effect on you life, you become a drug-seeking person. It is worse if the drug is illegal and difficult to procure because all your life resolves around strategies to procure it.

If the OP's question was about the combo C + ethanol, this has been discussed before. South Americans usually combine lines with shots of brandy. But they have access to pure C and do small lines. If you binge on heavily adulterated C (like you will outside SA these days), your combo is C + ethanol + (speed) + (amps) + (ephedrine) + ??

On a more general note, what is certain is that the war-on-drugs can turn whole human Societies into groups of repressive psychopaths. This is why drug users should never own up to accusations of "being psychopaths" without first calling upon Society to clean its act. If you want to take C and have insane thoughts running through your mind in the privacy of you own home, that should be for you to decide and not for overweight rednecks with ugly kids.

good post

I totally support the freedom to indulge in recreational intoxicants... however... overindulgence in cocaine and alcohol will often lead to irrational and objectionable behavior even in the best of us. It can be difficult to stop when you're losing inhibitions and the ability to make good decisions.

Cocaine does not change my personality at all really. The only difference is i can't shut up on the stuff :! .

As for alcohol i used to get really violent on that stuff sometimes. Im fairly laid back these days but alcohol would make me lose it completely in the right circumstance. I guess it would be abit of psychopathic behaviour.

How bizzare. Cocaine and alcohol always led to the polar opposite of "psychopathic behavior" in me. Both of those drugs invariably make me "lovey dovey", even after fairly long binges. But yeah, I have seen a lot of other people turn into complete assholes under the influence. My hunch is that cocaine and alcohol sorta magnify a person's personality. So, if you're a "nice guy" to begin with, those drugs will make you all "PLURish", but if you're a dickwad, then they will turn you into a complete sociopath.

I wouldn't go that far but both of the substances in question definitely effect your decision making process in a (mostly) negative manner. Cocaine and alcohol, and even more so the two together tend to lead to the dangerous combination of terrible, intoxication-inspired ideas and a rash impulsiveness that makes you more prone to act on the bad ideas floating around in your little inebriated brain. Someone with a better grasp on neurochemistry than I can explain the mechanisms behind this, what with dopamine and reward pathways and whatnot.

As far as psychopathy goes however, you have to figure that it is a chicken/egg thing. Sure, cocaine + alcohol may make you more prone to sociopathic behavior but it is also reasonable to say that people with sociopathic tendencies would enjoy the moral disinhibition of cocaine and alcohol more than your average bear.