• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Does blocking dopamine (anti-psychotics) actually reduce life pleasure?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Dopamine is unquestionably linked to pleasure/reinforcement, particularly with sexual related activity, but I'm sure other activities also.

Does taking anti-psychotics actually impact that, a pleasure/passion killer basically?

I ask this exclusively as, after using meth I understand now acutely how much pleasure is associated with a dopamine rush.

Blocking it consistently I mean, that's gotta suck.

Does it?

Does anyone know if Sifrol (restless legs medication) has any recreational value by any chance?

It says it acts as an agonist for the D2, D3, and D4 dopamine receptors

Dopamine is unquestionably linked to pleasure/reinforcement, particularly with sexual related activity, but I'm sure other activities also.

Does taking anti-psychotics actually impact that, a pleasure/passion killer basically?

I ask this exclusively as, after using meth I understand now acutely how much pleasure is associated with a dopamine rush.

Does it?

I've taken then on and off for nearly 10 years with the longest stretch being Abilify for 4 years straight with no other drugs taken except low dose prescribed dexamfetamine. I was initially prescribed them after a psychotic break associated with BiPolar I disorder.

While they all had different effects, I generally found that they reduced the peaks and troughs of emotions and kept me centred. I certainly still felt pleasure and in fact had a very rewarding sex/love life with my then long term partner during that time. The biggest side effect I noticed was boredom or lack of interest in a lot of stuff I'd previously been interested in. I didn't read very much or much much TV when I was on them - I just couldn't get interested. But I was very successful at academic work which had a clear goal.

I think at sensible doses the idea that second generation antipsychotics turn you into a zombie is way overplayed.

Where they really suck is when you try and

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak from personal experience but I believe the short answer is yes. Though it depends on the antipsychotic in question, the dose and the condition it's supposed to be treating. They're clearly not supplements, they lie pretty much at the opposite side of the spectrum from recreational drugs. They should only be taken when their benefits outweigh the numerous (potential) side effects.

They're clearly a lifesaver for some, I've seen heavy duty schizophrenics completely turn their lives around thanks to AP (from complete chaos and suffering to relative balance). I'm sure one doesn't necessarily have to suffer from psychosis or schizophrenia in order to benefit from them, but they appear to be somewhat over-prescribed.
Some doctors seem to like them because they're relatively well tolerated on the short term and because they're seen as non-addictive.

Anyway here's a review on the efficacy and side effects of most AP (for the treatment of schizophrenia, which is supposed to be their main purpose).

Last edited:
Antipsychotics destroy lives. People report being in good health when they come off them. So many side effects. No benefits.

Does anyone know if Sifrol (restless legs medication) has any recreational value by any chance?

It says it acts as an agonist for the D2, D3, and D4 dopamine receptors
Sifrol = Mirapex = Pramipexole. Also used for Parkinson's.

This was discussed recently here; short answer not really, that's not how dopamine works; even if it DID have recreational value, by the time you'd be in the zone of getting high you'd have too many negative side effects, psychotic agitation included.

Antipsychotics destroy lives. People report being in good health when they come off them. So many side effects. No benefits.
It is unfortunate how prevalent this view is here. The basic philosophy of Bluelight is "better living through chemistry," as @4meSM has already stated, neuroleptics (antipsychotics) certainly provide better living for some. Yes, they have a plethora of troubling side effects. The thing is, these are often preferable to the desperate, unhappy lives that many schizophrenics live.

However, I suspect that the reason so many people are against neuroleptics here is that they are indeed overprescribed. Atypicals (or 2nd generation antipsychotics*) in particular seem to be marketed for nearly every psychiatric condition you can think of. This is probably excessive, although it is true that a wide variety of patients can and do benefit from them particularly as adjuncts prescribed together with other drugs.

The problem in general, and I have discussed this at some length elsewhere, is that psychiatric diagnoses are not neat and discrete little boxes that people fit into and which have a one-to-one relationship with prescribing practices. This algorithmic approach works great for many physical ailments but falls short in psychiatry, where it is adopted only by pharmaceutical and insurance companies, and the laziest of psychiatrists. Psychiatric treatments need to be highly individualized. Neuroleptics are prescribed too broadly, which is why many people have bad experiences (either first- or second-hand) with them. That doesn't mean they should be ruled out entirely and certainly doesn't mean they have "no benefits." This is a foolish and naïve view which nonetheless is understandable in people who've experienced unnecessary prescribing but who've never experienced, or known a person with, serious psychotic illness.

* Some consider aripiprazole [Abilify] and its derivatives "3rd generation."

Does it?
To the question at hand, yes, antipsychotics blunt affect and subjective emotional experiences, which I recently wrote about here. The thing is that this is preferable to life as a schizophrenic, or society having to deal with a problematic schizophrenic.

I believe it was Szasz that said that neurotics had symptoms that trouble them and psychotics had symptoms that trouble others. While there is a truth to this in that many psychotics only wind up getting treatment either reluctantly or outright involuntarily because they get hospitalized due to troubling behaviors, this statement lacks compassion in a profound way: the inner turmoil of schizophrenia is a horrible way to live—the stratospherically (and tragically) high rates of suicide bear this out. Antipsychotics do help, and the lived experience of many bears this out. I've seen many, many people come in resistant to treatment and leave taking medication and understanding in a very real way that it is helpful, even continuing to take voluntarily that which was originally given to them forcibly.

Last edited:
@SKL its a money maker. I think cannabis could help a good majority of psychiatric patients with some psychedelic therapy.

@SKL its a money maker. I think cannabis could help a good majority of psychiatric patients with some psychedelic therapy.
Modern atypical neuroleptics are money maker and that's why it's being touted as indicated for all kinds of things, especially the newer drugs. Many of the new drugs that are being marketed actually have no real reason to exist other than patent whoring by marketing close analogs or even isomers as being something new. However, the older drugs work just fine in many schizophrenics and sometimes are actually preferable. Some of the new ones are helpful as well. I measure this strictly by their ability to restore the profoundly ill to both subjective well-being and the ability to become functioning members of society. I rather doubt that you have any knowledge of either.

Your recommendation of marijuana, let alone psychedelics, is flat out wrong and coming from a place of ignorance. In the severely mentally ill both are deleterious. Marijuana less acutely, the symptoms it's associated with often take a while smoking it to develop (usually an increase in negative symptoms like isolation and poor self care.) Psychedelics are just a terrible idea in these patients. Even Rick Doblin's MAPS, an organization I generally find irresponsible, excludes people with significant psychiatric history from their studies, let alone more conservative researchers.

In the less severely mentally ill with certain conditions, all under the category of those who would back in the day be classed as "neurotic" rather than psychotic, psychedelic therapy is subject to ongoing research which certainly seems promising. Let's include MDMA for PTSD under this heading although technically speaking it's not psychedelic; I do not include ketamine for depression, it's a different beast—what I would call "psychedelic therapy" does some of its "work" through the patient's subjective experience; not the case with ketamine therapy which works purely through its pharmacological effect. This application works but must be absolutely avoided in anyone prone to mania or psychosis. As for marijuana, it's hit or miss. People often believe it's more helpful than it is including some cases where it is actually flat out making them worse.

You fail to distinguish between different categories of mental illness which is leading you to give potentially life-destroying advice on a forum dedicated to harm reduction. You must really think this over and educate yourself before speaking on the subject. Your recommendation of pot and psychedelics frankly comes off as "420 blaze it only one cure for glaucoma" juvenilia. The sad thing is that people do take this sort of thing seriously to their grave detriment.

@SKL I think these were two highly perceptive and well reasoned posts. They largely reflect my own view and experience with anti-psychotics.

I am lucky to have had psychiatrists who have focussed on treating my problematic symptoms based on the relative degree of distress they cause me and society/others.

The health system (and my insurance) compels them to give me a recognised diagnosis. Because mania was the biggest problem they went with bipolar. But at various times the treatment has focussed on other things I struggled with including obsessive intrusivr thoughts, ruminations, attention deficit, anger management, anxiety, and depression.

Working under the heading of bi-polar they cycled through various drugs and ECT at different times according to where my problems were at a given time trying to find the mix with max henefits and least side effects (which happened to be Abilify and Dexamfetamine in my case).

However, I feel it was a bespoke solution that they put a lot of thought into developing and I was always encouraged by the fact they never labelled me anything and just focussed on problematic behaviours, thoughts, and feelings that were problematic.

That said the process did involve trialling and then having to withdraw from certain antipsychotics and SSRIs. It was in the withdrawal that you really feel the dangerous power of these drugs - especially the capacity to cause anhedonia.