• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin Does Black Tar Heroin "Expire"?

downfallin

Bluelighter
I may or may not have purchased a few bags of H between a year and a half and 2 years ago that have been sitting in their original plastic bags tucked away in the dark at room temperature since their purchase. If I ever was to relapse, would it be unwise to use those? Obviously there is always some risk of something bad being in the bag, but I`m just wondering if this risk is increased from what it would be if I bought some off of the street today and used that instead. I don`t know if bacteria may have formed since it is more "organic material" than say pills would be. Is there any way to test the safety if so? How about effectiveness? Does that deplete? I don`t know how long drugs are normally stored before they reach their end user anyways, there is obviously no "expiration date" on the bag when you first cop. What do you guys think?

If it was clean tar heroin (though that is a bit of an oxymoron) and was stored properly it is probably functionally indistinguishable from when you originally bought it. Most notable would probably be a change in consistency, becoming harder and stiffer than when purchased.

Definately would avoid IV use due to fungal concerns

If it was clean tar heroin (though that is a bit of an oxymoron) and was stored properly it is probably functionally indistinguishable from when you originally bought it. Most notable would probably be a change in consistency, becoming harder and stiffer than when purchased.

Definately would avoid IV use due to fungal concerns
You’re right. I definitely noticed they were pretty hard from taking them out and feeling the bags.
I really don’t know how clean they are.
Yeah if I do end up using (I hopefully won’t use anything at all but who knows) I won’t shoot them. I would definitely just go the smoking route. Idk if there is a way to burn off any bacteria before burning to inhale it. (Like maybe cooking it with water as if to shoot it up but just cooking out all the water and then smoking.) I guess that would probably be a good harm reduction technique to do to any dope, if it actually worked that is.

You’re right. I definitely noticed they were pretty hard from taking them out and feeling the bags.
I really don’t know how clean they are.
Yeah if I do end up using (I hopefully won’t use anything at all but who knows) I won’t shoot them. I would definitely just go the smoking route. Idk if there is a way to burn off any bacteria before burning to inhale it. (Like maybe cooking it with water as if to shoot it up but just cooking out all the water and then smoking.) I guess that would probably be a good harm reduction technique to do to any dope, if it actually worked that is.
Are you debating on whether to relapse? Or help me understand why you have not use the H yet.

Are you debating on whether to relapse? Or help me understand why you have not use the H yet.
Basically yes, I`ve been on subs for a while and that`s why I actually have old drugs lol. I probably wouldn`t be in this situation otherwise I guess unless I just found some stash I had lost. My actual question was meant in more of a harm reduction sort of way though because I know the answer to "should I relapse today" is always no... though it can be helpful to talk about still. But if I was to give into the temptation, I don`t want to contract some crazy bacterial infection or something like that that could be avoided, I remember some people getting those a while back even from smoking though I don`t remember the name of the issue it caused.

It doesn't expire like food but it can change in texture and/or quality. It was never clean or sterile to begin with.
People have caught botulism and anthrax from contaminated heroin so there's always the risk of nasty infections even with "fresh" product.
Black tar is especially dangerous in this regard as it often still contains plant matter and so on. Botulinum comes from Clostridium botulinum, which lives in soil. It survives heat fine as well. Contamination would occur during production of course.

If I were you I'd smoke it and not use any other ROA. That's your plan if you were to ever relapse but just know that even boiling everything won't make it completely safe as some bacteria and toxins are resistant to heat.

The only degradation that could occur would be the slow conversion of heroin to 6-MAM, and then 6-MAM to morphine. Very doubtful to happen fast or in levels large enough to notice much, but depending on how much water the tar contained (tar contains a bit, it can absorb water out the air easily) will determine how much has occurred.

In the end morphine gets you high too, same with 6-MAM.

-GC

It doesn't expire like food but it can change in texture and/or quality. It was never clean or sterile to begin with.
People have caught botulism and anthrax from contaminated heroin so there's always the risk of nasty infections even with "fresh" product.
Black tar is especially dangerous in this regard as it often still contains plant matter and so on. Botulinum comes from Clostridium botulinum, which lives in soil. It survives heat fine as well. Contamination would occur during production of course.

If I were you I'd smoke it and not use any other ROA. That's your plan if you were to ever relapse but just know that even boiling everything won't make it completely safe as some bacteria and toxins are resistant to heat.
Helpful response thank you. That’s kind of along the lines of what I was wondering, since I know black tar is impure and contains plant matter I don’t know what sort of bacteria could grow. Clostridium botulinum huh? I’ll have to research that. And it’s good to know that boiling it wouldn’t help that particular issue though I still would probably do that to kill off other potential things that maybe have less resistance to heat.

The only degradation that could occur would be the slow conversion of heroin to 6-MAM, and then 6-MAM to morphine. Very doubtful to happen fast or in levels large enough to notice much, but depending on how much water the tar contained (tar contains a bit, it can absorb water out the air easily) will determine how much has occurred.

In the end morphine gets you high too, same with 6-MAM.

-GC
Interesting, I thought those changes only occurred once administered. I can’t remember the relative strength of 6-MAM to diacetylmorphine but wasn’t it actually quite a bit stronger?
So maybe there would be a chance that the dope would increase in strength for a period when converting to 6-MAM before decreasing in strength when converting to morphine?

Interesting, I thought those changes only occurred once administered. I can’t remember the relative strength of 6-MAM to diacetylmorphine but wasn’t it actually quite a bit stronger?
So maybe there would be a chance that the dope would increase in strength for a period when converting to 6-MAM before decreasing in strength when converting to morphine?

It happens due to hydrolysis, which can occur outside of the body as well as within. If water is present, especially if the pH isn’t neutral, it’s likely to slowly degrade.

Tar has plant impurities in it that seem to absolutely love absorbing water. For anyone that’s ever tried to dry it out then cut it up into a line, before long it will return to a gummy sticky state.

That said, like you mention 6-MAM could be stronger, so wouldn’t be an issue til it started converting to morphine. But that could take awhile, how long is awhile IDK..

-GC

It happens due to hydrolysis, which can occur outside of the body as well as within. If water is present, especially if the pH isn’t neutral, it’s likely to slowly degrade.

Tar has plant impurities in it that seem to absolutely love absorbing water. For anyone that’s ever tried to dry it out then cut it up into a line, before long it will return to a gummy sticky state.

That said, like you mention 6-MAM could be stronger, so wouldn’t be an issue til it started converting to morphine. But that could take awhile, how long is awhile IDK..

-GC
That’s an interesting observation. I never thought about why it tends to stay in that malleable tar state instead of drying into powder. The only time I ever tried to snort it was when I may or may not have snuck some in with me to a holding cell in jail and mixed it in a little cup of water and snorted the solution. Man was that a gross feeling having that liquid tar go up my nose.