• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does anyone know if Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can increase methadone clearance?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
A few months ago, I had the worst early withdrawal symptoms from my maintenance dose (which is fairly high at 185 mg daily). It hasn't happened to that degree since - however, I do often take Gravol (Dramamine) at night to sleep and I DO find I feel worse earlier when I take a lot, and when repeating doses in the middle of the night if I still can't get to sleep. It's active ingredient is Dimenhydrinate - which is apparently just diphenhydramine combined with some mild stimulant. It doesn't seem to come close to diphenhydramine in withdrawal severity, but it does seem to be there.

Of course, part of it is psychological. I've gone through opiate withdrawal so many times and have had so many bad experiences that I actively fear it. Can anyone else relate to that?? Like I'll start compulsively checking my pupils, and other signs of approaching WD symptoms. It's also very hard for me to leave my apartment in that situation. Even with just the slightest symptoms, I've just conditioned myself over years of misery to just lie in bed and try desperately to block out the rest of the world until I get my next dose and feel better.

Uh, if anything Dramamine would be worse because of its pointless stimulant

And pupil dilation from mild anti-cholinergic syndrome is to be expected - Basically, too much diphenhydramine shall start to increase your pupil size and can induce RLS

Can you get hydroxyzine? It is safer, more effective, and non-anti-cholinergic; it is otc in many countries, not the ole US of A (!) - In any case, reduce diphenhydramine dose, actually just stop the Dramamine, and maybe find an alternative. Oddly, Dramamine 2 is, cannot remember name, decent anti- emetic, not as effective for sleep though (meclizine, That is it) though hydroxyzine would be best substitute, finding another otc alternative, or just switching to plain old Benadryl, and reducing intake is possible

To answer question, though, the answer is basically no, large doses non-stop could slightly reduce the T1/2, however being dehydrated and simultaneously having heart burn would be MUCH worse, as that would reduce absorption, and potentially double methadone clearance

Uh, the psychological stuff you just have to remind yourself is psychological, though personally can understand a kind of "learned " helplessness that a person can be conditioned to

Hope that helps, and seriously, if it's for sleep, diphenhydramine alone would be better, although taking it every night, well it rapidly loses effectiveness

Wow �� you live in Canada ���� so, just get some damn hydroxyzine, and move on / start at ~25mg or so (assuming your location is correct?)

Alright, peace out - Lorne

As similarly said by lorne

Diphenhydramine is a Parasympatholytic at high doses due to muscarinic acetylcholine antagonism.

Parasympatholytic reduce the activity of the parasympathetic nervous system

Parasympatholytic produce effects similar to sympathomimetic drugs.

Basically, diphenhydramine at high doses may produce effects that feel like a stimulant as far as heart rate, pupil dialation ect. And may feel like the opposite of opiates which may act on the Parasympathic nervous system.

But i think we can make this even simplier dph has a half life of like 2.4-13.5 hours so if you take alot especially mid night to try to get a few more hours anyone would probably feel like garbage the next day methadone or not

^ Show off

Yeah, dilapidated (what?) Dilated pupils, rapid heart rate, numbness in the extremeties, Not Fun

I think being on methadone would make thr the "hangover " worse, for various reasons

Though in Canada, ���� they should have access to non-anti Cholinergic Hydroxyzine, or
promethazine, although it has similar risk, it is at least more effective than it's well known counterparts, (Bena-what?) and risk would be reduced

Really though, diphenhydramine, and similar "Classical " 1st gen antihistamines should not be taken nightly, they lose effectiveness, and other problems are possible, especially if one raises the dose - Only if desperate for a legitimate anti histamine and anti-emetic, which some opioid users need - Just take the recommended dose (did Lorne, The Magnificent, really suggest label dosing? )

... �� Seriously Though, just take hydroxyzine - if you have access

Don't abuse anti histamines, and, Diphenhydrinate (Drama-TM) is, ^^#€€€<
Pointless!