• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Does anyone else have this reaction to meds? (SSRIs SNRIs Antipsychotics etc)

JJBurritoEsquire

Greenlighter
Hey people,

New here, so not sure where to post this, hope this is the right place.

I've spent the last 2-3 years trying a bunch of different medications for really bad social anxiety and depression. This is what I've tried so far...

Citalopram (Celexa)
Sertraline (Zoloft)
Fluoxetine (Prozac)
Venlafaxine (Effexor)
Amitriptyline
Mirtazapine (Rememron)
Bupropion (Wellbutrin)
Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
Olanzapine (Zyprexa)
Quetiapine (Seroquel)

Now each time I've started a new medication, I've gone through about a week of feeling a complete drop in anxiety and depression, to the point where I feel completely normal, as if the medication has been a magic bullet and has finally cured me (with the antipsychotics, I've gone through about 2-3 weeks of feeling that way). Then over a few days, I'll notice my anxiety and my low mood start coming back with a vengeance, then even if I stay on the medication for another couple of months, or increase the dose, it doesn't make me feel any better.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've looked around for months but haven't seen anyone else describing this happening to them. I'm starting to think that medication will never work for me :(. It would be very reassuring to hear from someone who has experienced this.

Thanks

These drugs only mask the issues. You need to deal with the root cause of your stress, which only you can answer what it is even if someone like a therapist has to guide you to the right questions.

In my 21 year old nonmedical opinion Placebo. Those drugs take weeks to kick in. It takes time for them to bind to receptors down regulate them and increase growth factors ect ect in the brain

^ what he said
altho ssris typically take 2-3 weeks to build up to a therapeutic level in your body i find that anti-psychs deff pack a punch initially; mainly sedation for me but yeah, those aren't quite the same as an anti-d's. worth thinking about i guess

I'm not a doctor, but I have been on combinations of every medication you've listed (along with various others) over the last decade or so. Just curious to know if you're diagnosed bipolar?
Seroquel and Lamotragine and common mood stabilizers. A hallmark identifier of bipolar disorder (how I was ultimately diagnosed) is that anti-depressants work almost immediately and WAY too well (inducing mania). If a mood stabilizer is added (lamictal, seroquel, lithium, etc...) it controls the mania... essentially stopping the awesome feeling of mania and bringing you back to the normal anti-depressant experience.

Both amitriptline and Wellbutrin caused me to shift from suicidal to happy, paint the house for 3 days straight only stopping to buy stuff on Amazon, manic within 24 hours.

If docs have ruled out bipolar then you just need to give it time like others said while your doc tweaks dosages/meds.

As far as I know tho the only 2 things that can cause a very quick reaction to anti-deps are bipolar disorder and the placebo affect.

This definitely sounds like a placebo effect--especially since it's occurring with both SSRIs and Anti-psych meds which work very very differently. Have you tried CBT?

I agree on both points (unless the improved mood stopped when mood stabilizers were added later). Unfortunately there's no magic cure. I just started (again) DBT therapy which has helped a lot in addition to CBT. It's a commitment though with homework/ diary cards and strict attendence requirements (not showing up got me kicked out last time).

I've taken several drugs on that list (bipolar 2).
Whenever I start a new medication or change things up, I get a really hopeful feeling that this is it, things are going to improve, I'll like this one better, etc. I wouldn't quite describe it as placebo but a combination of placebo and optimism that improves my mood in general.
I hope if you're taking strong meds you're also in therapy of some kind or being closely monitored by your doctor.
Medication has done wonders for me personally even though I know not everyone has the same reactions or opinions, but going to therapy for your underlying issues goes hand in hand. Meds on their own are rarely enough.

Mood stabilizers and antipsychotics are sometimes used for treatment resistant major depression. I take lithium and effexor for unipolar major depression w. Suicidal attempts. A ssri and antipsychotic is also common.

Its also important that while higher doses of antipsychotics effect dopamine. Lower doses influence seritonin 5 ht1a 5 ht2a 5 ht2c histamine alpha adrenic receptors and may improve the efficacy of a ssri.

Also mood stablers via alteration of ion channels can alter expression growth factors like bdnf and are used for treatment resistant depression when more traditional drugs fail

That's interesting- I didn't know they'd use lithium for unipolar depression. You make a really good point though about dosage levels. I don't know about other antipsychotics but Abilify is used as an add on for unipolar depression at 2mg, mood stabilizers for bipolar at around 5mg and high doses for schizophrenia or bipolar psychosis. I'm curious what you're experience with lithium has been. Funny how everyone has vastly different experiences with the same drug. 3 doctors have insisted on putting me on lithium and every time I gained 20-30 lbs in a month or so, got horrible acne, and felt like a zombie.

This definitely sounds like a placebo effect--especially since it's occurring with both SSRIs and Anti-psych meds which work very very differently.

It may be a placebo effect, or a sensative person. I myself have had similar effects from both ssri's and anti psych meds myself.

I was so depressed and suicidal i wasnt eating 6 ft 3 160 pounds now ive been on lithium zoloft seroquel with zyprexa and hydroxyzine for acute agitation prn stabilized me inpatient. Once i was stable the seroquel made my narcolepsy worse so they replaced seroquel with adderall. I had tremor from lithium so they checked my lithium level halfed the dose.

Now i am on outpatent with lithium adderall effexor from my psych which i liked so much she was from out patient moved to private practice

And
Modafinil from my primary care who checks my blood work regularly.

I havent had a suicidal thought or action in years only a few times of getting briefly depressed after forgeting my meds versus full yearly suicide attempts with weeks in hospital.

Lithium is used at a much lower dose for depression. I did get all the side effects at 0.7-1.4 li level for bipolar but it worked and i wasnt suicidal so after lowered to 0.3 -0.7 i have zero noticable effects