• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does Ambien work like a benzo?

ldawg616

Bluelighter
my doctor now gives me on amibien and i hear you can get off of that (not that tahts my plan because i eed sleep lol

does anyone on here take ambien during the day or night?

You have to do some looking online to be certain but I think Ambien is a hypnotic sleep aid/medicine (I'm sure there are more technical words used out there). Personally, I take one 10mg tablet a night and I find it's a pretty interesting drug. I kind of like to chop off little pieces of the pill and start snorting it in the late afternoon. It's a nice buzz with my Opana. That's what I do for fun but when it's time to sleep, I need to snort 3/4 to one whole 10mg pill. I will be asleep or not remembering what I'm doing shortly after I do it. It's actually like no other drug I've ever encountered in my 40+ years of doing drugs. Yes, I've done Valiums, Quaaludes, Klonopins; you name it. Ambien is just another animal all together. One piece of advice, don't leave home after you start doing them and please ease into higher doses. Be careful because it does take a little time to hit you and if you're too inpatient and do more, you may find yourself flat out on the floor. Be Careful!

Does Ambien work like a benzo?
Yes, it acts at the same GABAAR-subunits as benzos. But it's kinda different.

As to recreational ability, zolpidem is noted for causing hallucinations and bizarre behavior, coupled with anterograde amnesia in such a way that some consider it a delirious experience (though I disagree as to the nomenclature, but whatever, ymmv as to subjective enjoyability of these effects). So it's not quite like your average benzo, though certainly if anxiolytic/hypnotic effects are what is desired, it should be efficacious. It is not indicated for daytime anxiolytic use, and is medically used solely as a hypnotic.

For me, lunesta has better anti-anxiety properties than like most benzos.. Too bad it's a hypnotic and makes your mouth taste like the spawn of satan.

For me, lunesta has better anti-anxiety properties than like most benzos.. Too bad it's a hypnotic and makes your mouth taste like the spawn of satan.

For me Lunesta made me act really crazy (While I was on lunesta I tried to cook up the rest of my Lunesta into a freebase form... and I know nothing about turning drugs into freebase)

and Ambien only affected me a few times. Now the only noticeable effect with 20-30 mg is nausea.

I only use it for sleeping as prescribed, never tried taking more than the dose I'm supposed to, but at these doses anyway I find it really doesn't feel much like a benzo - just kinda knocks you out without the relaxing/happy feeling.

^Really? I'd never heard that before...it's been working fine for me so far anyway (as far as I know!), I certainly wouldn't equate it to benzos when it comes to how it makes you act. Benzos used to lower my inhibitions completely and I would have been entirely capable of doing the kind of stuff you just described, but as I said, for now Ambien just makes me really tired, nothing more.

Ambien is fucking evil. If you take more than 40mgs, you're going to hallucinate all kinds of weird shit. There were times I'd take some, then when I came to, I'd find that fucking 10 or 12 of the pills were gone.

Memory loss was a major problem. I will NEVER touch that shit again.

Lolz. I wouldn't say that makes Ambien evil, just a high ass dose. Most hypnotics have that effect I'm pretty sure.

i havent used in a while since the only time i used it was when i could steal it from my grandma. but i would take 10 mgs to feel different but i dont think its as good as benzos at all.

evn 10 mgs had me pretty fucked up. never take 15 mgs and go to the gym tho lulz

my doctor now gives me on amibien and i hear you can get off of that (not that tahts my plan because i eed sleep lol

does anyone on here take ambien during the day or night?

Its sort of simular but doesnt produce the same anxitey ridding effects. More for sleep. I think its a Z drug. look it up on google and im sure you will find anything you need to know.

I guess this is due to me being a fucking horse naturally when it comes to drug tolerance (not dick-sizing, this shit fucking sucks lol), but I took 60mg one night in 2 separate doses 1.5 hours apart trying to get to sleep (not trying to get fucked up). Didn't get fucked up, didn't hallucinate, didn't do stupid shit, just laid in the recliner awake, unable to sleep. Zolpidem doesn't do a gat-damn thing for me.

Best hypnotic I've ever tried was ProSom (Estazolam; a benzodiazepine derivative). All it took was 2mg and I was able to go to sleep at 10 o'clock without it knocking me out an hour after dosing; I slept all the way through the night without any issues; I was able to wake up at 5 o'clock in the morning without any issues (I normally sleep like a fucking boulder when I do actually get to sleep; friends have hit me in the nuts trying to wake me up and it didn't work lol); and I felt fully rested, and actually had energy (normally when I wake up I'm fatigued as hell, my muscles and joints feel like I ran a marathon and boxed against Muhammad Ali in my sleep, and it takes so much effort just to get myself out of the recliner I sleep in lol). Oddly enough, it just takes 2mg (which is equivalent to 2/3mg alprazolam) to knock me out, yet when I take alprazolam, I can take up to 4 or 5 before I "feel" them.

Lolz. I wouldn't say that makes Ambien evil, just a high ass dose.

Whatever happened to "moderation"? Hell, you could take half that amount and feel plenty. 40mg is just a waste, please take it eeaassyy. And if you insist on taking that much, please have a companion with you, cause you just may do some crazy ass shit.

I just read a ton of horror stories on Ambien - coming from people using it legitimately, people will randomly will wake up in the middle of the night and piss off a ton of people or do embarrassing things. Things such as going on Facebook, messaging a girl you had a crush on years ago, or putting up status updates containing personal things about just too much information for people to know about you, or calling random people on your phone at 4am.....
I have done all that and more on benzos.

I can speak only on my opinion of this as someone with a high benzo tolerance to start, which crosses with tolerance to Zolpidem (Ambien). However, I take it usually once or twice per week. Just 10mg as Rx'd, though I do often take it a few hours before I plan to sleep. I get a noticeable mood lift from it, and become much more relaxed. Nothing trippy, not overly sedating. Then just a nice calm nights sleep when I do retire for the evening.

That said, 10mg can really mess someone with no / low tolerance up. Usually the best course of action is to take it, and go directly to bed, or often as state above, people find themselves doing regrettable things. While I might not practice what I preach, I preach it with good intent.

While I might not practice what I preach, I preach it with good intent.

I absolutely love that! Would you mind if I use that at some future date? Having a 16yo Step Daughter in the house, I feel there may be more than a few opportunities to pull it out and lay it on her, probably sooner than later.

Boy oh boy, I can't wait!

Whatever happened to "moderation"? Hell, you could take half that amount and feel plenty. 40mg is just a waste, please take it eeaassyy. And if you insist on taking that much, please have a companion with you, cause you just may do some crazy ass shit.

I wasn't telling anyone to take that high of a dose, I was implying that if you take that high of a dose of course it is going to have negative symptoms like that. And yeah, a 'trip sitter' is a weird term to use with sleeping pills, but it's honestly true.
40mg is insane.

I wasn't telling anyone to take that high of a dose, I was implying that if you take that high of a dose of course it is going to have negative symptoms like that. And yeah, a 'trip sitter' is a weird term to use with sleeping pills, but it's honestly true.
40mg is insane.

I think you missed my point but I might have missed something in the translation. I had thought the OP took that much and I was basically telling him to cool his jets a bit. I certainly wasn't implying someone should (take that much), quite the opposite. It's just overkill, dangerous and frankly a waste.