• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Doctors call for ‘goon bags’ to be ‘taxed out of existence’ due to binge drinking con

poledriver

Bluelighter
Doctors call for ‘goon bags’ to be ‘taxed out of existence’ due to binge drinking concerns

http%3a%2f%2fprod.static9.net.au%2f_%2fmedia%2f2016%2f03%2f28%2f09%2f31%2fgoon.ashx

Australian doctors have urged the government to tax cheap casks of wine, or ‘goon bags’, on volume, rather than value, in an effort to limit sales and curb the scourge of binge drinking.

The Royal College of Australian Physicians believes the cheap wine is being abused by underage drinkers and is contributing to the expanding health budget spent on alcohol-related incidents that are preventable.

The college is pushing for the government to tax the wine in the same way as low-strength beer, and recommends it replaces the Wine Equalisation Tax to match the rate based on volume, reports The Daily Telegraph.

“This is not about stopping people drinking wine, this is about taxing cheap alcohol, which is abused by young people and those who already have problems,” RACP President Professor Nick Talley said.

“The problem is low-cost wine, which correlates with higher consumption.”

Professor Talley said the change would cut the cost of alcohol abuse and save the government $1.3 billion.

- http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...o-binge-drinking-concerns#CMRahPc3q5pHZjsI.99

LOL.. yeah that will work.. might want to address the problem instead of trying this?

Taxing Cask wine on volume will just hit working class and pensioners who are the main consumers of cask wine. It wont adversely affect the rich at all. This is largely being pushed by the beer industry who want more people drinking their products. They have been pushing for this for years. Now they have the doctors onside. Alcohol is already bloody expensive in Australia. This will just make it worse.

Yeah, right - meanwhile doctors quaff their expensive vino and snigger at the lowlifes that don't live in such sophistication like they do.
There will always be somethinh cheap to drink - the market demands it.

Yeah, right - meanwhile doctors quaff their expensive vino and snigger at the lowlifes that don't live in such sophistication like they do.
There will always be somethinh cheap to drink - the market demands it.
There will always be something at the cheaper end of the market though not necessarily affordable to those on a limited income. You can get a bottle of quite nice drinkable wine in France or Italy for $2. Here anything under $10 is sketchy. The brewers want beer to be the most affordable and thus the most consumed. This change just helps them...large multinational companies. Wine is still largely made by small farm based producers and it employs a lot more people than largely automated breweries. Unfortunately the wine industry does not have the lobbying power of the brewers. And yes the doctors will still be drinking the good stuff by the bottle....and so will I as i love my wine. But the poor and the pensioners should not be denied there drink..they have so few pleasures in life as it is.

this seems like the poor taxes in the united states. Here is hoping that more people start making their own in response to rising prices.

I have thought of importing grapes from the wine region in syracuse and turning my garage into a winery. The reason I don't want florida grapes as those are not even good enough to make rotgut.

welcome to Australia -

2596CDB500000578-2948652-This_woman_appears_to_be_playing_a_round_of_Goon_of_Fortune_by_p-a-64_1423720897518.jpg

Haha I just came into this thread to post about Wheel of Goon.

I'm a bit confused though - I thought the Yoof were all drinking the lolly-flavoured alcopops because they're sweet and tasty, which was why we had to put astronomical taxes on them. But now the Yoof are drinking nasty box wine, because it's cheap, so we have to put astronomical taxes on it? I feel the reasoning behind the astronomical taxes isn't overly consistent.

welcome to Australia -

2596CDB500000578-2948652-This_woman_appears_to_be_playing_a_round_of_Goon_of_Fortune_by_p-a-64_1423720897518.jpg

In the United States we play a game called 'Slap the bag'. Good times, until someone drinks too much wine and pukes. It never happened to me, as I don't drink lots of wine at once since it makes me have to piss a lot fast; but I've seen it happen to a friend.

Last edited:
Fuck the liberals with a piece of rusty barbed wire, I fucking DESPISE them.

Sydney and Australia is slowly turning in to a police/nanny state where we can't even protest these fuckhead laws because even protesting is now against the law.

For the first time I am seriously considering moving to a different country

I've played a few games of "slap bag" in my day. Twas fun and carefree times.

Doctors urge radical reduction in blood-alcohol limits, increasing drinking age

Access to alcohol would be drastically reduced under a radical rethink of liquor laws, taxes and sales being urged by one of the country's most influential groups of doctors.

The blood-alcohol limit for all drivers would decrease from .05 to .02 and then to zero, while the legal drinking age would rise and governments would further restrict the trading hours of licensed premises and bottle shops.

The dramatic crackdown is being proposed by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, which has submitted a string of recommendations to a Senate inquiry on drunken violence.

1459598635221.jpg

RACP president Nicholas Talley said it was imperative the government adopt the recommendations in full to "bring about a shift in the Australian drinking culture" and reduce the "undeniable and substantial" harms caused by alcohol.

"Australians have a culture of alcohol – that's fine, but we also have a problem with alcohol," he told Fairfax Media.

The proposed regime recommends:
Royal Australasian College of Physicians president Nicholas Talley: "The harms from alcohol remain very significant and ...

Royal Australasian College of Physicians president Nicholas Talley: "The harms from alcohol remain very significant and we're not doing enough about it."

The legal age for buying takeaway alcohol should be raised immediately, ahead of a public debate about lifting the drinking age
State governments should ramp up last drinks and early closing laws such as those implemented in NSW, including shorter trading hours for bottle shops and bars
Local councils should be given the power to reduce the number of licensed premises in their communities by challenging existing liquor licences and implementing caps on the number of bars
Sports sponsorship by alcohol companies should be banned, as a precursor to a total ban on advertising alcohol to young people
Alcohol packaging should carry warning labels, akin to cigarettes, under the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code

The RACP also urges that all pregnant women receive screening for alcohol use, and calls for "brief intervention" for pregnant women and high-risk drinkers.

Dr Talley said this would involve making rehabilitation services more widely available, rather than involuntary rehab as advocated by Senator Jacqui Lambie.

The submission reaffirms the medical establishment's support for volumetric taxation of all alcohol, and the imposition of a minimum price per standard drink to be set by the states and territories.

Many of the recommendations are mirrored in submissions from other groups including the Victorian Alcohol & Drug Association, the Police Federation and the McCusker Centre for Action on Alcohol and Youth.

Independent Queensland senator Glenn Lazarus established the inquiry into the "need for a nationally consistent approach to alcohol-fuelled violence" after the one-punch death of 18-year-old Cole Miller in Brisbane. Senator Lazarus' son was also the victim of a glassing attack last year.

Fit-to-drink-chart.jpg

The push comes despite risky alcohol use and risky drinking being in decline in Australia. Apparent alcohol consumption last year fell to a 50-year low of 9.7 litres, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Meanwhile, the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare's authoritative survey on drug use found that from 2010 to 2013, the number of drinkers aged 14 and over who exceeded the lifetime guidelines for alcohol consumption fell to 18.2 per cent from 20 per cent. Those engaging in binge drinking at least once a month dropped to 26 per cent from 29 per cent.

The number of people who reported being a victim of an alcohol-related incident, including verbal abuse or being put in fear, also fell to 26 per cent from 29 per cent.

Dr Talley acknowledged there was "some dispute about the numbers" but said the level of harm arising from alcohol misuse in Australia was "still way too high". The RACP paper cited studies estimating the social cost of alcohol misuse in Australia was between $15 billion and $36 billion, accruing largely from healthcare costs, road accidents and lost productivity. Each year, 5000 deaths were attributable to alcohol misuse, along with 150,000 hospitalisations, Dr Talley said.

One of the more audacious ideas in the RACP's submission is to empower local governments to reduce the number of licensed premises in their area by challenging liquor licences – effectively giving councillors the ability to shut down venues.

"That's a challenging recommendation but yes, we would like to see that looked at," Dr Talley said. "We don't believe it's appropriate to do nothing. The harms from alcohol remain very significant and we're not doing enough about it."

Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm, a self-described libertarian who is conducting an inquiry into matters around personal choice, labelled the proposed regime "nanny state central".

"I think Australians are sick of people who consider themselves their superiors telling them how to live their lives," he said. "In a free society, harm is an inevitable consequence of adults making choices. You can't ever get zero harm."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...rinking-age-20160331-gnvslp.html#ixzz44h2FbxQ