do you think ssri are a big help to those with

scuba0095

Bluelighter
depression that resulted from quitting a certain drug? The depression often lasts for months do u think ssri meds can put a stop to it?

SSRI's are one option for treating depression. There are also tricyclic and tetracyclic antidepressants as well as SNRI's.

best discussed with your doctor.

i wonder how common ssri perscriptions are for depression related to wds

SSRI's are the most commonly prescribed anti depressants period.

kind of a shame...impiramine (TCA) blows your typical SSRI out of the water for effectiveness...and I think anticholinergic side effects are better then neasua and headaches and other SSRI typical side effects.

it depends on what drugs you were using, if you were using a lot of stimulants I'd think wellbutrin would work better than an SSRI, but SSRI's never worked on me. There are a lot of options for treating depression, ask your doctor, they'll almost always push the SSRI's first but see what else is available if SSRI's aren't your thing.

I decided to go back on SSRIs.

I never had any issues with depression while abusing drugs or before abusing drugs.

When I first got clean I tried Celexa for 2 months. I found it didn't help with my depression much, but it did wonders for the anxiety and insomnia from benzo withdrawal. It is MUCH easier to deal with your problems when you have a good nights sleep (or any sleep..)

Even though they did help me, I had bad sexual side effects. Maybe too much information, but when I tried to go to sleep *every* night I would get aroused (I'm male). It was this, combined with the fact I was unable to orgasm that made it extremely unpleasant. Like a itch that is IMPOSSIBLE to scratch and poking into the bed while trying to sleep.

Anyway -- recently my anxiety has came back leaps and bounds (depression as well, also agoraphobia somewhat). I have decided to try another SSRI because I refused to get back on benzo's or opiates.

SSRI's are not ideal drugs, and I spent hundreds of hours researching before I got on them. The fact is though they do help some people immensely, others not so much.

The only way to tell if they work for you is to try them yourself.

how bad is your depression? speaking from personal experience, antidepressants alone may or may not totally cure your depression, you need more than that e.g therapy etc

I think people make a mistake thinking medication can cure them.. Meds can help, but in the end you almost always have to make life changes as well. I only decided to get on meds again after exhausting a healthy diet and exercise and other positive life style choices.