• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do you think it's possible to just try heroin once?

Heroin was one of the first opiates I tried and IV, it was horrible. The rush isn't good when you aren't used to opiates, it's just an intense heat and then throwing your guts up and falling asleep for hours.. Some one who did that may never try it again.

I gave other opiates a shot and now I think I would enjoy the experience compared to last time so probably will do it again.

I think it's absolutely possible. I smoked heroin with my friend, and he hasn't touched it since even though he liked it. Not to mention most people get nausous and vomit the first few times. I have also smoked crack and injected coke, both which I find 1000 times more psychologically addicting than heroin, and I touch neither of those today.

That being said, it's better to do heroin 0 times than once.

after being recovered from heroin abuse for over 3 years, i'd have to say the only way u could possibly just do it once is if u didnt enjoy it. Other than that, you will most likely do it again whether its the next day or months down the road...my advice, stay the fuck away, H ruins and ends lives - thats it. Nothing good will ever come from using H i promise u this.

verso, I agree it is strange and you certainly can try heroin without turning into an addict, but a far greater proportion of people who try h become addicts compared to those who try alcohol.. how much of this is to do with social circumstances, the drug's effects, the drug's addictiveness, something else or a combination is unclear to me though..

For me, the scary thing about h is that it is attractive when life is bad and you need respite, and it seems like such a slippery slope from there..

...but a far greater proportion of people who try h become addicts compared to those who try alcohol...

According to studies that have been done, that's simply not true. The proportion is virtually the same with heroin as it is with alcohol.

Really? I did not know that! I just assumed as alcohol is so prevalent, should have known better than to assume though, haha.. thanks :)

According to studies that have been done, that's simply not true. The proportion is virtually the same with heroin as it is with alcohol.

Please do provide some sources of these studies, as I am finding this very, very hard to believe. In fact, I am pretty sure that at least 50% of people who have ever tried heroin are addicts, where as the same can't possibly be said for people who have ever tried alcohol (which is basically the majority of our society).

If you mean statistically, there are more alcoholics than heroin addicts, sure, that's true. But if you take two people, one trying heroin for the first time and the other alcohol, who is more likely to become addicted (statistically)? The one trying heroin.

Comparing apples to oranges....wayyyy too many factors to make any sort of reasoning...Everyone is different, everyones tastes and desires are different, everyones body responds different, everyones brain is wired different...one is legal, one is not, state of mind......2 completely different feelings as well. I used H for 2 years and today could take or leave alcohol any day....somethings just can't be explained.

Hmm I never thought of that. What constitutes addiction? Plus maybe you get addicted to H more but I bet you drink more over your life time then do H.
Hehe who cares?

You can drink and function you can you say the same of H? Name one person who does H who is famous and alive! Does H as much as you could drink and be famous. I know lots of famous drunks

Being a psych grad, I had the same initial reaction as effie, but that's interesting that the proportion for each is very similar. I would like to see a study done on this if you have a link

Sure it is. I've tried it 3 times I think, over the last few years. I just didn't "get" it -- it was nice sure, but nothing special. That said I didn't have enough to get "high", just to feel pretty chilled out (the times I smoked it -- the time I tried snorting it I puked, then felt chilled out).

I was relieved to be honest. I have had problems with both alcohol and GBL, so could see myself having problems with heroin. Probably shouldn't have tried it!

Please do provide some sources of these studies, as I am finding this very, very hard to believe. In fact, I am pretty sure that at least 50% of people who have ever tried heroin are addicts, where as the same can't possibly be said for people who have ever tried alcohol (which is basically the majority of our society).

If you mean statistically, there are more alcoholics than heroin addicts, sure, that's true. But if you take two people, one trying heroin for the first time and the other alcohol, who is more likely to become addicted (statistically)? The one trying heroin.

I bit of info in this article that does seem to support the heroin is more addictive camp, it sites soem studies, I'm sure someone out there who hastnt just dropped there daily Benzo dose can be arsed to look them up;)

http://reason.com/archives/2003/06/01/h/singlepage

I'm at work right now but I'll be sure to dig up the numbers later tonight or tomorrow.

I bit of info in this article that does seem to support the heroin is more addictive camp, it sites soem studies, I'm sure someone out there who hastnt just dropped there daily Benzo dose can be arsed to look them up;)

http://reason.com/archives/2003/06/01/h/singlepage

That's a pretty solid article. The study I've seen put the numbers a bit closer together, but I'm having trouble finding it now.

So for sake of argument, let's just assume that these numbers are correct: 15% of all people who consume alcohol will become alcoholics, and 23% of all people who take heroin will become addicts.

That's still not 50%, and I'm not sure that the difference between 15% and 23% is enough to label heroin as being overwhelmingly more addictive. Do you see what I mean?

And not surprisingly, nicotine tops the charts at a whopping 32% ...

^^^

I did a bit more background reading and its a very interesting point, so many fewer people are exposed to heroin that the view is easily skewed. Most adult UK population has probably tried alcohol but the percentage that have tried heroin is much, much smaller so its not surprising most people think that way.

I think that both substances take real, time and dedication to get a proper habit on the go, my alcohol problems took 10 years to really develop gradually increasing after I gave up nicotine and hash, 3 years to get into a proper mess and that with out any of the supply issues a heroin user has to deal with.

Nicotine doesn't surprise me in the least I smoked daily from 13 until 30 and it was a bitch to kick.

Having said all that we are talking about proper physical dependence here ( I believe ) I mean I haven't had a drink since the start of July and I could pop down the shop any time, but if I had a quantity of coke , for example in the house I'd be doing it right now, if I could by it in Tescos I'd probably be dead

Last edited:
Hmmm...

I tried it for the first time this morning. (Smoked)

I really want to try it again but more because I was still kinda wired from coke and beer from the night before so I just wanna see how it feels with a straight head as I think it will be much more enjoyable.

I don't think it would turn into a regular thing though, but then again I bet that's what everyone says...

That's still not 50%, and I'm not sure that the difference between 15% and 23% is enough to label heroin as being overwhelmingly more addictive. Do you see what I mean?
Wow, have to say I'm very surprised, I'd never have thought the difference is so small. Just from observing the people around me... Most of them have tried alcohol, I know two alcoholics. About 20 people I know have tried heroin, all of them are addicts. Interesting.

I was absolutely convinced that the first time I tried it would be the ONLY time I'd ever have access to the drug, after all I didn't hang out with junkies or anything, plus I had the common sense to never seek it out again after the one trial.

That was all fine and good until about 6 months later - by that point I was mildly addicted to oxycodone, and when a line of dope magically appeared on the table in front of me again, I thought "well, fuck it, twice is no worse than once." I finished off the quarter gram I'd bought and said I'd never repeat the experience again.

A little less than a year after that, I'm still hooked on oxys and go to pick them up one day. Another guy is picking up at the same time, and asks for "the usual". Buddy puts a few stamps in his hand, and after he leaves I inquire. Couple minutes later and I'm walking out of the building with a half gram of super potent #4 in my pocket. As I type this, it's been six weeks or so since I found that steady hook, and I've switched over completely from pills since, like everyone else here will tell you, dope is a lot cheaper.

Basically all I'm trying to tell you here is to tread with EXTREME caution.

^This.

This is a common story; you will hear similar ones more and more often I think.

Wow, have to say I'm very surprised, I'd never have thought the difference is so small.

I hear ya, man. I was equally as surprised, but it makes sense when you really think long and hard about it. I think that it's hard for us to admit the weakness is in ourselves.

"it wasn't my fault, man! it was the heroin, the almighty, all powerful, irresistible heroin! no one can handle that shit!"

I like to point out to board members and friends that, yes, heroin is addictive and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but that heroin is also much, much more comparable to other substances than we'd like to think...