• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Do you tell doctors about drug use?

^ I've been using heavily for 2 years... maybe slightly longer. I smoke and occasionally IV. Those ROA's have a higher bioavailability than snorting, meaning you get more of the drug in your system. But I'm getting a bad case of "meth mouth" from all the smoking. My gums are receding to the point that you can see the roots of my teeth, and the enamel on my teeth is starting to rot. Not a good look.

Hell no. I say, how about you give me this. And they do. As long as you don't ask for too much my Dr. does. He refills without any questions. Also, "can I keep this script for the pain that isn't too bad and the other one for when it is or in case this other one doesn't work" and then refill on exact refill dates :D

I certainly do NOT tell my doctor/s about my drug use. As far as they're concerned I'm the cleanest mother fucker that walks in their office. All they know about it my prescribed anxiety med/s.

I only abuse opiates, and I am pretty sure I'm fairly smart about mixing them with anything I'd be getting. And I wouldn't take them if I was prescribed something that would mix poorly.

I believe it was the Young Geezer who said he has a young doctor... I do too. My doctor is about my age and she told me she was shocked at how honest I was being but really appreciated it because it better helped her to understand what I'm going through and what I need. I would advise getting a younger doctor and kind of feel them out before divulging any information.

Indeed, I found out with docs that the generational gap is extremely important, also having had doctors (old and young) as teachers due to my career (which I graduated and after a few months of practising I left it for producing web pages,live streamings and AM radio shows for stock exchange - broker fellas, cuz I couldn't stand the asshole at the medical field, but that's another story) I'm 26 and my doc (who's my GP and knows I relapsed on opioids and is gonna put me on bupe) is less than 40 and my psychoanalist is 29 and just started his practice, he charges very little he has long hair listens to Scandinavian Death Metal and plays bass in a band and he tells me about their upcoming gigs, and his practice is a tiny room with a laptop and one big speaker some books chairs and a table, still he's being great so far.

As far as my doc goes he's been my doc for the past 5years since I quit my daily IV opioid habit, so it's in my records I went to rehab for being a Junkie, and he knew I abused benzosin the past, still I'm scripted a hell of a lot of clonazepam and zolpidem and lyrica, cause I don't abuse them.....if I wanted to abuse benzos (which sometimes I do) I do the work myself, I'm not gonna jeopardize my doc and my scripts, which took me so long to get, I would get a seizure as well if I were to be withdrawn from my daily dose of clonazepam.

But generally Doctors who have started their practice-graduated a while ago tend to be much more open and less of that sort of ¨I've seen and known everything about Junkies like YOU in my 30 years working in ths field, when you weren't even born, so listen to me you junkie and don't try to give me a lesson I should be giving you a lesson smartass punk junie....¨ attitude I generally got from other docs.

There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but this is my general experience....InMyLyricalMind (cool nick) it's great you're about the same age as your doc, I think that's the way it should be I can tell it with my psychoanalist who's 3years older than me but that's the same age difference I have with my sister or had with my sorta ex-gf (slowly getting back tigether) for 3yrs, so it's lik we connect on a level where there is no generational gap and you feel so much more comfortable that the honesty is like that comes from within, sometimes I'm so naive I end up telling things I regret later, but on hindsight they were right most of the time.....so yeah I'd say try and fel them up and look for the generational gap thing, though if you're searching for the most prestigious doc in pain managment he'll prolly be more than 60, which sucks (or might not) and also this doesn't means all young dics are cool, but I think since they must have had friends or heard of friends of friends of friends having the same problems (snorting OC's in the suburbs for ex) they don't tend to be as shocked and try to empathize, and make you feel good about yourself again, minimizing the use (naltrexone and bupe), maximizing your quality of life, what a doc should do whilst the older docs with loads of patients will make you feel guilty for your past drug use that when you bring in present drug use you're in for a whipping and sometimes even treats to be instituzonialized cause in their opinoin I was putting my life at risk taking opioids like hydro codeine and tramadol and not even on a daily basis.....with my doc we agreed it's in my best interest to get me into bupe ASAP, but he's on vacation til the en of feb =( I miss my doc......an LyricalMind you're spot on on the clonazepam thing....lol that reminds me it's time for my afternoon 2mg clonazepam 300mg lyrica dose, it's past 5pm already....

Totally depends on the situation... if I trust the doctor then I will expose details of drug use. I dont see a doctor twice if I don't feel I can trust them.

If someone is going to a doc and not being completely honest, they might as well not even go. In the long run, being honest and upfront about everything going on with you is the best way to get the help you need, is that not common sense? How is a doc supposed to truly help you if you're holding out on him?

^Bullshit, most of the time whether you smoke a little pot or not is completely unrelated to why your at a doctor.

Unless your drug use is connected to your doctor visit, i.e. abcess on your arm, chronic coughing after smoking pot, unable to sleep ever (taking speed)

No, He's definatly on a "need to know basis"

Ive had the same doctor from when i was 13. When i went through my rough patch in high school and was taken to him by my parents for suggestions on my drug use, he had no problem giving me a straight forward solution. Never talked down to me just tried to help. Now with him still knowingmy past abuse, i still get restoril and halcion prescribed along with adderall and anything else i think will help me.

lmao @ "bullshit"

I just know from personal experience it's easier to be totally upfront with your doc.

And no pot isn't a big deal when it's used alone, and a lot of times not a big deal mixed with other drugs even. It can derail you though if you're mixing it with certain types of psychiatric meds.

I used to be scared to admit anything to my doctor (or embarrassed), but these days I tell them what they need to know.

I am bipolar so if I am manic, yes. I will have that invincible euphoria and straight up say to the doctor "I was bangin some diesel last week, but it was week as shit, maybe thats why I got depressed. Too much garbage goin around these days... not like back in 2006/2007".

Yes, you should be as honest as possible.

Find a doctor you're comfortable with, and help them help you

Yes (except for if/when I abuse my script(s) :/)
How else can they help me if they don't know my story?
My doctor is cool as fuck to, he started me on stim maintainance when others would not, and it works great.

....InMyLyricalMind (cool nick)

Why thank you. =D

......an LyricalMind you're spot on on the clonazepam thing....lol that reminds me it's time for my afternoon 2mg clonazepam 300mg lyrica dose, it's past 5pm already....

Glad you think I'm spot on because I can't figure out another reason why my depression would skyrocket otherwise. But there are some nights when I say fuck it I just don't want to feel and I'll take a couple extra even though I know the next day has high potential to suck ass. Minute by minute, I guess...

I would just caution anyone reading this to be aware of the geographic differences. Attitudes (and legislation) vary from country to country, and even from state to state within the US. What works in one place is not necessarily a good idea in the next.

^^ But isn't doctor/patient confidentiality a country-wide thing?

In the other thread about this, someone mentioned that doctors fax records to insurance companies, but outside of that circumstance could there be legal repercussions about being honest with your doctor?

Yes, InMyLyricalMind, sorry, as far as patient confidentiality, you're probably right about country-wide uniformity and actual legal repercussions...but pharmacy law (and prescribing law, from my superficial research) vary from state to state. For instance, a doctor with a DEA license in North Carolina may not be able to prescribe in another state. I've read online that no pharmacy in Hawaii will fill a controlled Rx from another state, period. In other states it's easier. And these realities probably inform how your doctor will react to your honesty. Their liability is, unfortunately, a truly legitimate concern.

Why thank you. =D

Glad you think I'm spot on because I can't figure out another reason why my depression would skyrocket otherwise. But there are some nights when I say fuck it I just don't want to feel and I'll take a couple extra even though I know the next day has high potential to suck ass. Minute by minute, I guess...

Well, I can totally relate and to all abusing your scripts etc....I actually hold up my sceripts today I earned some cash and decided to get fucked up, on opiates dank weed and benzos...I've been on the 2nd day out of a 3day coke binge down here in South America.) to choose from to buy me an oz. and I already smoked a 1/16th eight I was given for free since I had the money to buy an ounce....isn't that ironic? you should give me free weed when I'm broke!!

Anyway I'm high as a kite, I'm gonna tell my doctor how I partied (and it's only 10:30pm on a saturday night in buenos aires and the night is starting now for me after I dosed the righ ammount of each substance for myself and smoked dank weed, I was getting shitty schwag since January...) I'm not gonna tell him I did hydrocodone, but since he already knows I abuse tramadol and is one of the reasons he's gonna put me on bupe I'll be totally straight.

Lol, I'm also bipolar, so I always take the latest appointment possible like at 7-8pm, and bullshit my way thru saying it's because I'm getting outta work later, and I do coke or opiates or both or more benzos or whatever I think I need...but I'm straight....especially I'm coming out of the closet with my increasing coke use (it's so cheap so abundant and so pretty good) which is starting to bothering me....I'll be doing opies and benzos and smoking weed..... but my scripted clonazepam and lyrica and ambien and sublingual alprazolam and 25mg seroques as emergency knock-down pills, I most of the tiome rack up on them and just take my breakfast dose and forget about my afternoon dose cause I generally got fucked up by my own means, so I stockpile on clonazepam, and I häve been on it for so long that it's the same taking 4mg than talking 20mg...so I just buy my own drugs....that's the reason I go to the doc to, for this chroinic disease called opiate addiction, but I can't tell gim about the realms of my benzo abyuse, just admit to ocassional overuse as coke comedown aid, cause it'd take my benzos away prolly....though if I'm still on them and the doses I am at this point I picture myself as being on clonazepam for life:\