• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Do you or anyone you know seem heavily addicted to Marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesTheHammer

Bluelighter
I always used to hear and read that it was impossible to become addicted to pot. I must admit that most of that info came from High Times and from pot smokers though, but I also remember hearing a few 'experts' make the same claim way back in the 80's and early 90's.

Now as I've pointed out on other posts here, I have never been a big pot smoker. I would occasionally smoke it, but certainly not every day.

However, I had several friends who were major pot heads. This meant that they would usually smoke pot early in the morning, throughout the day, and in the evening. Sometimes, when they had the day off, which was most of the time, because a few of them rarely ever worked from the time they were teens til their 30's, they would just sit and smoke pot all day until they were out of it....

When they ran out, it was very important for them to find more as quickly as possible. Either they would buy more, or as in the case of my friend Rob, who was a bit of a "Moocher", they would just ride around and find someone to get them high.

I can only remember one time where they went without pot for any length of time. It was back in like '86 or so, and there was a bad pot dry spell across the tri-state area for like 2-3 months. They were ALWAYS jones-ing for something to smoke during this dry spell. They had repeatedly scraped the resin out of all their bowls and bongs and smoked it! It was always the first thing on their minds at this time to find some pot. Then, my friend Mike finally got hold of some commercial bud, and he was ecstatic! He hid it from everyone except me, because he knew I wouldnt smoke more than a hit or 2 anyway!

Then there was Steve, who also smoked pot from dusk til dawn. He worked steadily from like 18 on, and he would get high on his construction job every day. He got married in '94, and the next year, his wife finally got tired of him being high all the time, so she gave him an ultimatum......Quit pot or she'd divorce him! Well, he didnt quit pot, he just tried to hide it, even finding a hidden smoking spot above his garage in the attic where the wife would never go. But of course she found out, and she left him! Then he had to sell the house for a loss, and move on!

Then, there were 2 guys who I worked with for 6.5 years(Tim and Andy), and they both smoked lots of pot as well. Andy was the type who always looked stoned, even when he wasnt, but he really looked stoned when he was! Yet the bosses didnt seem to notice(or care maybe). They both had to deal with customers on a daily basis too while stoned.

I havn't even mentioned Mark and Bart, who had pot smoking 'parties' in their parents home every day! They had all the best bongs you could buy! Then there was Dave, who smoked tons of pot, and even sold a pound of pot per week while we shared an apartment! He then ripped off the bikers who fronted him the weed, and he owed them for 2 Lbs, and just blew all the $$! He also got like 3 DUI's in a couple months, which would've violated his parole(for vehicular homicide), but he skipped the state and headed to Cape Hatteras......

Anyway, I rarely see any of these people anymore.... Mike committed suicide in '05, Rob lives in Co, "mooching' off his sister, and I hear he hasnt changed a bit! Still has hair halfway down his back and smokes pot all the time! Steve still smokes pot, Dave, from what Steve tells me, still smokes pot, among other drugs, and now looks like an aids patient, and looks like he weighs 100lbs, and has had a very rough life over the last 15 years since I saw him last. He was a healthy, good looking guy 15 years ago, now I hear he looks like he's 65, even though he's only 45! Tim and Andy still smoke lots of pot from what I hear too.:\

So, it seems to me that some people CAN become addicted to pot, and I am now hearing from some 'experts' that you can become addicted to pot. I never smoked it on a regular basis, and when I quit smoking it 12 years ago, I didnt have any problems with quitting.

But I dont know if it is just psychologically addicting, or if it is actually physically addictive in some way?

its psychologically addictive, you climb the walls a bit and get a bit narky maybe cant sleep as quickly as you do when you have, but after a few days without you fine, but there is no physical addiction

Steve's wife knew he was a pothead when she married him so don't blame pot.

Mike was depressed and maybe pot helped him cope.

Dave has some other problems going on because pot is not making him look like an aids patient. He is also a real asshole and deserves to be in jail.

Andy seems like he got along just fine.

Pot is not physically addicting.

It's not physically addicting.
I suppose some people can become dependent on it though.

I have a hard time quitting...

I have been smoking for about 3 years now, and everytime I quit, I get fairly intense...and consistent...symptoms...

I will be unable to sleep well for the first few weeks. I will get extremely anxious and suffer through an increase in bouts of depression. I will have strong cravings and rationalizations...

I would say I am addicted to weed...But it is a condition that is developed by abusing it in the first place. If someone were to smoke once every few days or weeks, I doubt they would become so 'hooked'...

And I would hazard the claim that weed is actually physically addictive...It acts on our endo-cannabinoid receptors and therefore inhibits the actual chemicals that are supposed to bind from doing so...In the case of long term chronic use, the cannabinoids may come to replace the endogenous versions they are supplanting...

Just a theory though...

TLDR.

it is not physically addictive in any way, but my god it can be highly psychologically addictive, and i know MANY people who are pretty much hooked on ganja.

me personally, i have the best willpower out of everyone i know when it comes to drugs.
i go through periods of smoking herb daily for 6 months or so (literally) and then i will often stop for another 4 months and be sober.
i dunno what it is, thats just how i am. i am not addicted in any way to ganj. if i suddenly stop, i dont get cranky, or get cravings. sure, i want to blaze sometimes but i dont need it or feel a NEED to do it.

but i do LOVE mary jane, it is one of the things i truly love in life. it is a passion you might say.

good thread idea broskie :)

For a small percentage of users, cannabis is physically addicting. Albeit mild, but there's a withdrawal syndrome.

When I quit smoking weed after 6 years, I got really sick. I mean usually between joints I would start withdrawaling, get diaria, muscle pain, bone pain, throw up, oh wait that's opiates. LOL

With weed there is no withdrawal but it's possible to become addicted completely, I had a hard time eating without it and sleeping without it. And non stoned life isn't quite as fun.

I would say the withdrawal profile is probably the same as caffeine at the most. On a 1-10 it would be a 2.

It can be kind of annoying when you quit, if you're a very heavy smoker and/or you have a sensitive endocannabinoid sytem. If you get withdrawal, it tends to consist of insomnia, poor appetite, increased perspiration, irritability, etc. Mild symptoms that go away fairly quickly. Nothing compared to benzo or opiate withdrawal, that's for sure.

When I quit smoking weed after 6 years, I got really sick. I mean usually between joints I would start withdrawaling, get diaria, muscle pain, bone pain, throw up, oh wait that's opiates. LOL
At first I was like :| but then I :D

Comparing withdrawal syndromes is silly. Ofcourse marijuana withdrawal is a walk in the park compared to that of mu-opiod receptor/gaba agonists. That's not to say it doesn't exist.

Despite past skepticism, it has been established that, although it is not common, a vulnerable subpopulation of marijuana users can develop dependence. Adolescents, particularly those with conduct disorders, individuals with psychiatric disorders, or problems with substance abuse appear to be at greater risk for marijuana dependence than the general population.

CONCLUSION: A distinctive marijuana withdrawal syndrome has been identified, but it is mild and short-lived. The syndrome includes restlessness, irritability, mild agitation, insomnia, sleep EEG disturbance, nausea, and cramping.
page 126
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=6376

for good measure a couple of additional references:
Didcott P, Reilly D, Swift W, Hall W. Long-term cannabis users on the New South Wales North Coast. NDARC Monograph No. 30. Sydney, Australia:NDARC, 1997:36-41.

Swift W, Hall W, Copeland J. Cannabis dependence among long-term users in Sydney, Australia. NDARC Tech Rep No. 47. Sydney, Australia:NDARC, 1997.

Crowley TJ, Macdonald MJ, Whitmore EA, Mikulich SK. Cannabis dependence, withdrawal, and reinforcing effects among adolescents with conduct symptoms and substance use disorders. Drug Alcohol Depend 1998;50:27-37.

Wiesbeck GA, Schuckit MA, Kalmijn JA, Tipp JE, Bucholz KK, Smith TL. An evaluation of the history of a marijuana withdrawal syndrome in a large population. Addiction 1996;91:1469-1478

Haney M, Ward AS, Comer SD, Foltin RW, Fischman MW. Abstinence symptoms following oral THC administration to humans. Psychopharmacology 1999;141:385-394.

Haney M, Ward AS, Comer SD, Foltin RW, Fischman MW. Abstinence symptoms following smoked marijuana in humans. Psychopharmacology 1999;141:395-404.

Aceto MD, Scates SM, Lowe JA, Martin BR. Cannabinoid precipitated withdrawal by the selective cannabinoid receptor antagonist, SR 141716A. Eur J Pharmacol 1995;282:R1-R2

Abood ME, Sauss C, Fan F, Tilton CL, Martin BR.Development of behavioral tolerance to delta 9-THC without alteration of cannabinoid receptor binding or mRNA levels in whole brain. Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298.

MD Aceto, SM Scates, JA Lowe and BR Martin Dependence on delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol: studies on precipitated and abrupt withdrawal Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, USA.

Aceto MD, Scates SM, Lowe JA, Martin BR.Cannabinoid precipitated withdrawal by the selective cannabinoid receptor antagonist, SR 141716A. Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298-0613, USA

And you might wanna check the archives for some anecdotal experiences from many users, this topic is like beating a dead horse, comes up so many times.

to all thos who say there is no physical addiction, they are wrong. Your body will react to lack of a chemical that it has become used to.
I am addicted. PHYSICALLY.

when i stop smoking i cant eat, sleep, or control my body temp; i'm either cold or sweating with clammy/sweaty hands.
its subsides after about 3 days but it is clearly from my body being used to having THC present at all times.

Its not like its really horrible in any way, its just kind of an inconvenience/mild discomfort like a mild fever and lack of appetite.

id say one of my friends is. it feels like his life interest is in getting high and as long as he has weed he's happy

i get addicted to pot if i start smoking but i wouldnt say it controls me

I get temporarily deafened every time I hear this topic come up due to the cacophony of people screaming "its not physically addictive!!!".

Most people get next to no withdrawal from methamphetamine or cocaine, especially when compared to opiates or benzos, but are coke and meth not addictive?

This is the DSM criteria for substance dependence disorder (in the medical and treatment worlds, they don't use "addiction" but this is the clinical equivalent)

A maladaptive pattern of substance use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

(1) tolerance, as defined by either of the following:
(a) a need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve Intoxication or desired effect
(b) markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance

(2) Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:
(a) the characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance (refer to Criteria A and B of the criteria sets for Withdrawal from the specific substances)
(b) the same (or a closely related) substance is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms

(3) the substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended

(4) there is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use

(5) a great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance (e.g., visiting multiple doctors or driving long distances), use the substance (e.g., chain-smoking), or recover from its effects

(6) important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use

(7) the substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance (e.g., current cocaine use despite recognition of cocaine-induced depression, or continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption) (source)

Cannabis doesn't produce substantial withdrawal but only 3 of these criteria are necessary for a diagnosis...

3.) How many potheads smoke the same amount to get high after years of use?

4.) How many have quit at some point and gone back to smoking?

5.) How many potheads will spend hours and hours calling every person they've had a conversation with in the last 9 years if their usual hookups are dry? How many potheads spend loads of time during their day trying to find product, picking up, rolling joints/packing bowls, etc.?

6.) See Afroman song

7.) How many potheads have experienced anxiety, depression etc. that wasn't present before their use?

Obviously not everyone who smokes pot is going to become addicted and compared to most illicit substances, the occurrence is rare. However, with anything that is pleasurable and mind-altering, people can develop unhealthy relationships with cannabis that detrimentally affect their lives.

Last edited:
its psychologically addictive, you climb the walls a bit and get a bit narky maybe cant sleep as quickly as you do when you have, but after a few days without you fine, but there is no physical addiction

what they said .
i always knew even as a kid that pot was not physicaly addictive ,but mentaly it can be a bitch.
But ya never have WDs or anything just feel the need to smoke whenever.
When i grew i smoked from morning till bed time,and when i quite (do to being busted) i never felt a thing ,but my mind always wanted it but after awhile i had no mental addicttion iether.
There was a time when i couldnt even watch a movie without being high now its no problem,havent had any in about 3 or 4 months now and though i miss it i have no real need for it ...

Pot addiction is a joke, i've smoked daily for a good 4 + years now, and in that period i've had numerous breaks ranging from a week to 3 months.

It depends on your goals, if you've just ran out of pot for the evening you'll be jonesing like a motherfucker. But if you put the last few gram away and say right i'm not toking for a while even the trouble sleeping seems to go away.

What i'm saying is as mild as it is, your only gonna quit if you wanna quit, People with willpower arre few and far between.

^ There's opinion and there's fact. Fact is, cannabis can be physically addicting to some. It doesn't matter what you have to say or think about it, there's research that backs it up.

No matter how mild it is, the withdrawal syndrome is real.

Short version, yeah, it definitely can be. Trouble sleeping, eating, and adjusting are physical effects. Dunno how you can really get around that one.

I do totally agree that will power is key, but the same can be said about any addiction.

Finally, it all depends on your definition of addiction. The non drug using world generally has a pretty broad view of what addiction is, while the using world tends to ignore facts that aren't congruent with their ideas.

By the criteria given above I am addicted to alcohol. I am an alcoholic and should probably seek help. I inevitably drink again after long spells of dryness, I certainly develop a tolerance and need to drink more for the same effects. I am know to drink too much from time to time, resulting in poor decision making and adverse physical, mental, and social consequences.

I am not an alcoholic. Most of the time I have a beer with dinner, rarely I'll have a few in the evening. I don't need help, and my life is most certainly manageable with alcohol in it.

My point is, before going out and quoting some douche with a PhD, take a good look at what they are claiming. Use some common sense and then decide for yourself what you believe.

Like I said, there is most definitely a physical manifestation of withdrawal in some users, no real sense in denying the obvious. For fucks sake, though, tha model of addiction is so far off. I mean shit, imaddicted to like everything in the world. MW2, cheeseburgers, running, my girlfriends pussy, sleep, beating my meat, and the list goes on.

I propose we keep the external links to a minimum and instead use our collective intelligence to decide for ourselves. Anyone can use google, but with a little practice I think you'll find it isn't so hard to think for yourself.

^ lol the DSM does not = "some douche with a PhD".

I propose we keep the external links to a minimum and instead use our collective intelligence to decide for ourselves.
Why would we want to limit the knowledge we could potentially use for wisdom?

Status
Not open for further replies.