• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Do you have flybuys???

^Maybe it's just me but I'm happy get an interest free deal/free stuff from points and extra junk mail rather than pay hundreds/thousands more than I could have and have no junk mail :\

The thing with the interest free is it stops the consumer from pushing for a price reduction, that way the retailer maintains thier profit margin.

The further benefit is to the credit provider who cops a fee for the set up, but to them a name and address is everything. The marketing expense to generate one customer could run into thousands, however once they have you in the database they can constantly lampoon you with intstant approved loans and credit cards ammortised at outrageous interest rates

^ Yeah I get those notices from GE (the credit providers at Harvey Norman).... "Did you know you can take CASH out of your card?" "Approved increase!" blah blah blah.

How fucking stupid would you have to be to fall for that shit? I just throw it all straight in the bin and lament the waste of paper.

I guess they do market this way because there are fools out there who don't know how to use the system without getting themselves up shit creek. But that doesn't concern me. No downsides for me IMO, apart from increased rubbish in my bin :)

I don't have flybuys. Among the reasons is that I'm a paranoid freak.

I do have a Priceline card though, it actually translates in $, and I don't really mind anyone knowing what and and when I buy at priceline.

I don't have a phone plugged into my landline, so I very rarely get bothered by telemarketers, what have you.

uTranceMe said:
IIve got a velocity card. Ive got bugger all points on it. Seems like you would have to spend a small fortune on it to get anything of value from it. I wish I never got the Virgin card. Its a cheap interest rate but the insurance premium seems to make it more expensive month by month. Then again I probably shouldn't have maxed it out.

What do you mean the insurance premium? I have a virgin card and it's working well for me...however I don't know about the insurance??

I just got me Velocity card and have 6000 points. I figure if I just use it every time I fly, then in a few years I get a free flight. Thats cool with me!

Don't you have a certain amount of time to use the points before they're redundant?

^^ As long as you're active you're fine. You need to earn or redeem points in a three year period to be active. If you fly once in 3 years then you're still active.

I do, but at the rate i spend money and actually remember to use it? Fly buys will be non existant by the time i rack up enough points for a measly dinner at maccas. :p

lol

re on velocity, I've gotten free car rental on it and i haven't really had it that long...

chopped_chimp said:
What do you mean the insurance premium? I have a virgin card and it's working well for me...however I don't know about the insurance??

My last bill:INTEREST CHARGES - PURCH 29.73
INTEREST CHARGES - CASH 16.96
CREDIT INSURANCE PREMIUM 22.59

Not sure if its a one off charge. Im pretty hopeless with money and throw out the statements after paying them , so it could just be an annual charge or something. Will find out next month.

Nope. I don't really shop enough to make it worthwhile.

It doesn't really bother me being asked. I get more irritated by retailers trying to upsell. For the last time, no I don't want to buy a CD scratch repair kit!

The only card I use regularly is spotlight. It was free to sign up for a VIP card and they give VIP discounts without you actually having to do anything.

uTranceMe said:
My last bill:INTEREST CHARGES - PURCH 29.73
INTEREST CHARGES - CASH 16.96
CREDIT INSURANCE PREMIUM 22.59

Not sure if its a one off charge. Im pretty hopeless with money and throw out the statements after paying them , so it could just be an annual charge or something. Will find out next month.

The insurance is consumer credit cover, it will cover your 'minimum' required monthly payment for a period of up to 6 months if you are unable to work due to sickness, Injury or unemployment.

Void if you are sickness, injury or unemployment is the result of illegal drug use or alcohol.

Some card companies (read virgin, GE etc) will trick you into having it or make it a part of the credit agreement from the time you sign up. Under Australian Consumer law and your rights as a consumer in general, its not mandatory for you to have it so you can request they take it off at anytime.

Ofcourse you run the risk of not having the insurance cover, but then at the same time there is no guarantee they will cover your claims as they are the masters of the fine print and mitigating liability back to you. :p

samadhi said:
I've just applied for a flybuys card and i have a virgin velocity points card too. :)
^Same. :)

Although I'm starting to think I'm a bit of rewards card addict... I am joined up to countless rewards programs of which I actually profit from around three or four at the very most [I fly Virgin for work trips at least 6 times a year, and generally use them for personal interstate trips a few times a year as well and I shop at Kmart for underpants / bras and tights pretty regularly so the FlyBy's works nicely for me].

I carry around a whole separate purse full of loyalty cards and always accept new ones when I'm shopping at a place for the first time. :|
They lull you into a false sense of benefit, IMHO. But I'm loathe to give them up.

We need a reward programs annonymous. :\

hoptis said:
Myer no longer take Flybuys :(
^Get a Myer one card. Seriously. I get vouchers every year from that sucker, and they send out discounts every few months or so that the general public don't have access to. :):D

One rewards card I use really regularly is my Angus & Robertson discount card. After 10 books you get a free 11th book. I am totallyaddicted to buying books, so this works out perfectly for me. I've already gone through 2 cards and onto my 3rd... terrible isn't it... that's near 30 books just from A&R in a couple of years (then there's the ones I buy from 2nd hand shops, over the internet, or borrow off friends ;)).

^ I totally forgot about my A&R card :) I'm almost due my 2nd free book. I'm still working through the A&R Top 100, i've read (including ones i'd read previous to the list being published, about 1/2 of the list. :)

I buy alot of my lingerie/stockings/etc at Target (Target is the only stockists of LoveKylie), do they have a loyalty card there?

ooooooooo free books sound good! I'd be up for that!

I rang them and apparently have 498 points. You need 2500 to get a $20 voucher. umm yeah, thats just great :-/

^ Just go out and buy a whole bunch of stuff regardless of if you need it or not, then you'll get $20.... score!