• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Do you feel that psychedelics are more justifiable than more 'hedonistic' drugs?

Don Luigi

Bluelight Crew
Well, tonight I had a little talk with my girlfriend. I had planned to take 2CI tomorrow (well, today now). She asked me to come over to hers but I said that I had plans. She doesn't do drugs, except for alcohol, but has never had a problem with my use - I've never tried to, or felt the need to, hide any of it from her.

She got pissed off at me when I said what I was doing. She said it would be ok if I had plans with friends but she was pissed off that I was going to get bangled on drugs. I said that it wasn't like I was going to get smacked on heroin or something instead of hanging out with her. I was saying that psychedelics are a whole other matter, as if it was more legitimate or even respectable than other more hedonistic drugs.

Do you find that you do the same thing? I realised that I tend to do it quite a lot, but I'm questioning whether or not it actually rings true. Do you think that doing psychedelic drugs is more justifiable or even 'respectable' than doing other, more hedonistic drugs?

Cheers for any input :)<3

The seriousness of drug use lies within the user. It takes a strong person to be able to shoot some smack a few times a year and keep it at that. If one is able, what is the problem?

You could explain to your girl that hallucinogens are safer because of the fact of there being no addictive potential, no risk of overdose (I'm not sure about 2-CI), and no withdrawl symptoms.

Who cares really? You shouldn't have to justify your drug use to anyone, no matter your drug of choice. Its your own business.

Its is, you are right and I agree with you completely.

Honestly she isn't going to "get it" unless she has a psychedelic experience, which is probably something she isn't at ALL ready for.

I can't expect anybody to look at psychedelics the way I do if they haven't talked with some of the fine peoples here at bluelight. Or just know what I'm on about haha. Luckily my girlfriend tripped with me and we both happened to just see the psychedelic experience as something special, without having been familiar with communities like this.

Anyway I feel that I should point out to others that the issue isn't convincing her that it's safe, it's the fact that he "rather get high than hang out with her".

I mean, it depends on the person, but for me, I have noticed that when I'm really set on tripping, it's because I want to explore, go deep, see new things, and so on. There have been nights where I couldn't trip at a point when I had that feeling, and on those occasions it was basically like "I need to meditate, I need to dance myself into a trance, I need to do SOMETHING besides just go to bed."

The feeling I'm talking about often came at night. It's VERY CLEARLY the urge to explore, not neccessarily to get high. The high often felt like a pleasant side-effect of an experience that wasn't really about pleasure. Psychedelics are just one unique and wonderful way of doing this kind of inner and outer exploration.

This urge is VERY DIFFERENT from the urge to just get smashed... and of course, I have used psychedelics just to get high before. But that doesn't sound like it's quite what you're up to anyhow. ;)

As some on this board may recall, having a girlfriend without psychedelics as a common interest really sucked for me. She could never comprehend, no matter how hard she tried, why I did what I did, or the emphasis I placed on psychedelics in my life. If I were you, I would follow that inner drive to explore, OR get high for that matter... she may never, in fact, get it.

Edit: looks like the person above me echoes that last sentence.

Who cares really? You shouldn't have to justify your drug use to anyone, no matter your drug of choice. Its your own business.

Not when you're in a devoted relationship. You have a responsibility to that person that cares about you so much to make healthy decisions about yourself.

In my experience psychedelic users are more the intellectual type and they use their drugs of choice in a much less hedonistic fashion. Recreational does not necessarily equal hedonistic.

As some on this board may recall, having a girlfriend without psychedelics as a common interest really sucked for me. She could never comprehend, no matter how hard she tried, why I did what I did, or the emphasis I placed on psychedelics in my life. If I were you, I would follow that inner drive to explore... she may never, in fact, get it.

Haha, i actually got to see the contrast of "before and after" in a really interesting way. Before she tripped, my girlfriend would look at my like I'm a fucking freak when my friend and I discussed reality and the consciousness, we're in high school so it isn't exactly common subject matter amongst friends. We did LSD together and now when asked in an interview "Whats the most important experience you've ever had, together and apart", we just looked at eachother and smiled because we knew "Tripping on two tasty sugarcubes" wouldn't be an acceptable answer.

Anondragonfly makes a wonderful point. I had an argument with the above person, because I felt I had the right to tell the person I love that she really should make it a point not to take MDMA everyday, and that I should be able to enjoy occasional cannabis use without her getting upset about "hypocrisy" . Not liking someones lifestyle is one thing, concern for someones physical health is another.

Last edited:
I don't think it really matters - i suppose you could argue that taking a psychedelic is healthier than injecting heroin into the vein under your cock :D

Yes, I do think psychedelics are more justifiable than the more hedonistic drugs. Well, when they're done for exploration etc and not just to get fucked up. It's very probable that you'll learn something from a psychedelic experience, so the experience extends beyond the simple high to the concepts you've thought and learned about. You can get something out of it on a higher conceptual level than is possible with the more hedonistic drugs, which can stay with you long after the drug actually wore off ime.

True, true BUT- when you decide to share your life with someone, you give and take. I agree, one shouldn't have to justify it- but to our s/o's, we may be asked to; and thats fair enough.

That said, the only person who needs this justifying is likely yourself for questioning whether you need to justify something or not.

I don't think it matters what class of drugs either. To psychedelic users, psyches are different, but to most people, they are just drugs, and most drugs aren't very good for people. :)

I think its bullshit to call any drug more "justifiable" than another. You can argue risk factors and shit but not justifiability, why the fuck should anyone have to justify to anyone else how they choose to alter their consciousness and why?

Just throwing it out there as a possible solution--spend your trip in her company, maybe it could make things clearer for both of you!

I think its bullshit to call any drug more "justifiable" than another. You can argue risk factors and shit but not justifiability, why the fuck should anyone have to justify to anyone else how they choose to alter their consciousness and why?

Well... I can justify my personal use of hallucinogens (to myself and others) far easier than I could if I chose to smoke crack or methamphetamine (which I will never do, whatsoever).

I mean, it depends on the person, but for me, I have noticed that when I'm really set on tripping, it's because I want to explore, go deep, see new things, and so on. There have been nights where I couldn't trip at a point when I had that feeling, and on those occasions it was basically like "I need to meditate, I need to dance myself into a trance, I need to do SOMETHING besides just go to bed."

The feeling I'm talking about often came at night. It's VERY CLEARLY the urge to explore, not neccessarily to get high. The high often felt like a pleasant side-effect of an experience that wasn't really about pleasure. Psychedelics are just one unique and wonderful way of doing this kind of inner and outer exploration.

This urge is VERY DIFFERENT from the urge to just get smashed... and of course, I have used psychedelics just to get high before. But that doesn't sound like it's quite what you're up to anyhow. ;)

As some on this board may recall, having a girlfriend without psychedelics as a common interest really sucked for me. She could never comprehend, no matter how hard she tried, why I did what I did, or the emphasis I placed on psychedelics in my life. If I were you, I would follow that inner drive to explore, OR get high for that matter... she may never, in fact, get it.

I explained this to her - that it wasn't just me wanting to get fucked. She can't comprehend a psychedelic experience. She makes no real distinction between the effects of psychedelics and other drugs. She sees it as getting fucked up with pretty things to look at. The last time I took 2CI in her company, she didn't even realise. I used this to emphasise my point that it's not just getting fucked up.

I was thinking exactly the same thing - that she would need to have a psychedelic experience to begin to understand. I told her that, if it wasn't for LSD, I probably wouldn't be going out with her. It was an LSD trip that showed me that 2 years of pussy footing around with her was causing me inner turmoil. However, I don't want her to think I'm just trying to push drugs on her..I doubt she would think that anyway. However, I sort of hold the belief that people should seek out the psychedelic experience. I would only want for her to trip with me if she approached me and asked, not by me saying that she ought to do it.

thenightwatch said:
Just throwing it out there as a possible solution--spend your trip in her company, maybe it could make things clearer for both of you!

I have tripped (albeit low dose) in her company. I would have tripped AND spent time with her today but it's just that she has to stay in her house today to await a delivery and I really wanted to be outside, at the beach or in the fields. Plus - I really fancied a solo experience today :\

In my mind, going on a solo psychedelic experience is more akin to reading a book or watching a documentary than getting fucked up. I don't really see most of them as drugs. Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to say that I never use psychedelics purely recreationally because I do, but this was going to be a solo trip for a bit of enhanced thinking.

I talked to her further and she's saying that she has negative feelings attached me and drugs (other than weed) since a few weeks ago when I fell asleep in the morning, after ketamine and didn't wake up until late that evening, and thus could not reply to her requests for my company ;) She says that it just seems very unattractive. I responded by saying that I didn't find it very attractive when she's legless from drink, crying with me having to carry her :) That kinda tipped the argument in my favour!

In the end, it didn't matter anyway - the weather's very shite today :(

A drug is a drug and its up to you what, when and if you take it !!!<3

BUT I can understand (a little) why ye girl might react so ~ she probably has preconceived ideas of drugs being the spawn of Satan8o & feels second best !!!

Invite her for a night of such pleasures or atleast to observe yourself indulging to set her mind at ease !!;)=D<3

She says that it just seems very unattractive. I responded by saying that I didn't find it very attractive when she's legless from drink, crying with me having to carry her That kinda tipped the argument in my favour!

Wait, so she gets shitfaced from alcohol, but you can't use any drugs? I could never, ever relate to someone like that. I can't imagine not being able to trip with my s/o.

Hey man, if you get this one figured out PM me because I certainly haven't. :)

No, no. It's not that she's saying I'm not allowed to do drugs! I never would have gotten together with her if she was like that.

It's more that she doesn't think it's a reasonable excuse for me not to hang out with her; that my plans were not legitimate enough. My question isn't just to do with me and my girlfriend, if it was I would have posted it in SLR :)

It's about the psychedelic experience as opposed to a more physical experience being more justifiable to others. I mean, sure, they both are hedonistic in that they give you pleasure. However, with something like cocaine or heroin you take it with much greater assurance that you will feel good and have a good time as opposed to taking psychedelics where a valuable experience isn't necessarily the one that makes you feel the best.