• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Do you feel like you no longer need psychedelics?

I was once quite the psychonaut, but, over time, I learned that there is really nothing to gain from psychedelics but interesting experiences. It is possible to analyze those experiences and attempt to find some meaning in them, but the drugs are not medicine and they do not lead to enlightenment. I think that psychedelics are certainly capable of providing us with memories that can push us in different directions, but I also think that too many people go overboard with the 'enlightenment' and 'medicine' stuff; I've seen plenty of people lose a positive direction in life from so doing.

there is really nothing to gain from psychedelics but interesting experiences.

Just because you couldn't learn from psychedelics doesn't mean that no one else can learn from them. Shamans have been using psychedelic plants and fungi as medicines for eons. It's all about how you use them. Basically you get what you give.

I do psychedelics because they break all the rules that most peoples realities seem to follow.

I find the human brain to be fascinating, and the way psyches fuck with our perception is ridiculously awesome to me. When I trip, thinking about whats going on in my brain is like attending a psychology lecture.

I do believe one can learn from these experiences in a deeper sense as well, after experiencing certain states of consciousness, my beliefs about life after death have been flipped over. As in I now believe the consciousness lives on after physical death.

I am getting to be in the same boat G-P... I have cut tripping down to every few months, and never seeming to make many further positive progress after their use. I'l try again in 4-6 months to see how that goes.

Besides, there still a few of the more exotic sumstances I would love to try.

I still feel though that I am on the precipepus of an extended break from psychoactives (other than cannibis, calamus root and sida cordifolia);)

Great minds think alike GP :)- then again I wouldn't wish to insult your intelligence so maybe not ;)

I don't think I've tripped in about 2 months either ( except a wee smokey of DMT & a few mushrooms). my view is rapidly moving toward that of the less (often) is more camp. That said I've laid off psychedelics for years at a time with no particular desire to use them although they were relatively easy to obtain. I can only assume that I return to them for some reason, which seems obscured from me at the time. In retrospect periods of intense psychedelic use for myself seem to come along with periods of change in areas of my life. I'm beginning to think it is the need for change that drives the psychedelic use rather than the the psychedelic use causing the change - although it's likely a combination of the two factors.
The idea of protecting your mind is a good one - whether you view it as conserving your 5HT2a receptors or simply having a wider scope of existence.
I reckon my plan is to cool it down considerably, to both rest my brain & scramble out of the ever decreasing spiral of largely gratuitous drug use.
I don't forsee giving up completely at this point tho, I think I would lose much if I were to do that. More like long periods of normalcy with brief bursts of psychedelia interspersed.
I think the last four years of high frequency dug use taught me something, eventually, that being - don't take stuff for granted.

Good luck with whatever path you take & thanks for a good thread also :)

i also havent tripped in well over 2 months (probably closer to 5 or 6 months now) except for ketamine here and there. But no traditional psychedelics.
Thats not to say though that i have moved on or no longer need them. Just that at this time in my life not tripping is doing more for me than tripping would.

When i feel them calling out to me once more i will answer their call (and then gobble them up). Untill then im happy with the lessons im learning and good times im having without psychedelics assistance.

Perhaps you're feeling the old, "when you get the message its time to hang up the phone," feeling. Which is common for ppl who use/abuse psychedelics. But the message is ever changing and you may learn new and exciting ideas and concepts if you trip again after a long period of abstinence.

Good luck to you friend.

much love and lite

<3<3<3

Interesting thoughts GP, I've been lurking these forums for quite a while before I signed up and I must say you always were one of my favorite posters.

I can only hope that when this time comes for me I will be able to recognize as you seem to do.

Probably won't be anytime soon though, as I've finally got my hands on some dmt for the first time just yesterday :D

Probably won't be anytime soon though, as I've finally got my hands on some dmt for the first time just yesterday :D

"...once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can." (Hunter S. Thompson)

I know very well how it feels when you get your hands on something new. I am also quite the collector and I have, due to years of sometimes almost compulsive collecting, managed to build a considerable collection of chemicals. I have now sort of lost interest and this is why I have small amounts of about a dozen (I don't even know how many any more) chemicals within easy reach that I haven never even ingested... and another dozen that I haven't ingested often enough to really know what they're about ... it's gotten out of hand and I just can't trip that often any more.

Hard to answer the question, I never felt I 'needed' psychedelics. I still have a desire to continue using them though.

B9 said:
I'm beginning to think it is the need for change that drives the psychedelic use rather than the the psychedelic use causing the change - although it's likely a combination of the two factors.
I'm starting to feel the exact same way now.
When I was younger I would often use psychedelics just for the hell of it, like if there was nothing to do during the day I would just say fuck it and dose. But now I feel like if I were to do that it would almost be disrespectful to psychedelics, not to mention myself.
My psychedelics use is infinately times more significant now.

I've always used psychedelic chemicals for recreation. For me recreation can range from watching Youtube Poop to drawing flow charts. I've never felt a need to do psychs. Most of my trips are a product of being lucky enough to get drugs and have time, at the same time. It takes a lot of time to get yourself into a position in a culture to be able to procure rare chemicals, time which I do not have. So my other needs usually supersede my usage. It's just not feasible for me to use a lot regardless of my desire.

...should not necessarily be recommended to friends at the drop of a dime...
This struck a cord with me. I get this.

I went to a counselor a couple months ago, and he asked what problems I was dealing with. I told him I was getting too sensitive and anxious for a few days after using psychedelics. I then said, well I'm an idiot, I guess I should just not use psychedelics if I don't want to deal with the consequences.

i have been tripping 2-3 times a month for 3 years now, sometimes taking a break here and there. GP if you dont feel the need, i would follow your instincts. perhaps the need will come again and you will be glad you were not messing around, wasting materials and habituating yourself to a wonderful state.
my family and my therapist often make me feel extremely guilty about the frequency with which i use psychedelics (although they cant complain too much, as im very productive/goal oriented) and i have to ask myself over and over again why do i trip? the simple answer is it makes me unequivocally happy, and how can that be bad? the moment that changes i will stop.

im not sure if im finished just yet. but have come to respect psychedelics , i wont take them just for something to do anymore, i started getting really frustrated when tripping ,like it was a chore and i wasnt realy enjoying it , well i was and i wasnt. but now only mushrooms ,dmt ,and a few other natural substances ,but only on a very special occasion ,whenever it feels right which isnt that offten these days.

I think now that my 5HT2a receptors are very precious...their activation is part of what makes reality such a fascinating place...by bombarding them with serotonergic psychedelics I am possibly depriving myself of long-term long-lasting happiness...

I now want my activation of 5HT2a to come about from camping trips in remote wilderness or impressive stunning art or love with another human...I don't particularly want it to come on a piece of paper in the form of LSD.

This has crossed my mind before. With prolonged use of psychedelics does it reduce the ability to enjoy life as you previously enjoyed it? Like meth users who fry their dopamine system don't experience the happiness they had before they became addicted.
I am in a transition point in my life and am finding psychedelics very helpful and enjoyable. They are helping me feel and accept love. In the future I see myself not using them as often but I honestly think I will always have the desire to trip every once in a while.
The idea of psychedelics damaging 5HT2a receptors does not sit well with me. I always thought psychedelics were proven non-toxic (not RCs, i mean things like mushrooms and cacti). I want to be able to feel love with a woman for the rest of my life and I also want to be able to experience the beautiful sensory appreciation that mushrooms and cacti produce. I like to trip while camping for this very reason. So is using (supposedly safe) 5HT2a receptor agonists a hindrance to living a life of long-term long-lasting happiness?

In my experience its almost like a choice between the beautiful path of extended spiritual and metaphysical practice, and the quick, sometimes sinister route of psychedelics. I have almost completely stopped my use of entheogens in favor of the holotropic breathwork advocated by Stan Grof and my dharmic meditation. Once you get the message, they become more of a distraction from the beauty of life than anything else. I would much rather have a god trip once every 6 to 12 months than wear out my 5-HT2a receptors for euphoria and distant visions. You need months to properly integrate a truely life changing experience. Shouldnt that be the point of these spirit molecules?

I've never really felt like I "needed" psychedelics, but I have reached the point where I know enough about the experience that dosing isn't very exploratory anymore and doesn't bring about vastly new experiences, mostly just reminders of old ones. I have also come to the realization that my psychedelic experiences will likely be interesting and recreational at best, without the "insights" that many here talk about. In all of my psychedelic use I have learned plenty about the intricate and unique ways these drugs effect my mind, but I haven't really learned anything about myself or about how my mind works in the absence of the drugs. Any "insights" I get could just as easily come about sober. I assumed higher doses would be the key to change this, but all that has lead me to is stronger sensory distortion and decreased ability to interact with others.

In the most sublime of settings, my trips seem to give me a profound satisfaction with life which, in addition to occasional recreational usage, will be my reasons for continuing to trip. Over the past few years I have tripped roughly once a month and I will probably continue at that rate.

I've never really felt like I "needed" psychedelics, but I have reached the point where I know enough about the experience that dosing isn't very exploratory anymore and doesn't bring about vastly new experiences, mostly just reminders of old ones. I have also come to the realization that my psychedelic experiences will likely be interesting and recreational at best, without the "insights" that many here talk about. In all of my psychedelic use I have learned plenty about the intricate and unique ways these drugs effect my mind, but I haven't really learned anything about myself or about how my mind works in the absence of the drugs. Any "insights" I get could just as easily come about sober. I assumed higher doses would be the key to change this, but all that has lead me to is stronger sensory distortion and decreased ability to interact with others.

To be truthful, I would not say it's a bad thing to learn nothing of personal relevance through psychedelics... in fact it may show that you already developed the 'insights' beforehand and that your life was sorted enough already. What has been elucidated for me was not revelatory but rather just a few "a-ha" moments that altered the way I perceive my place in the world. Nothing has changed day-to-day...

The one combo that has been good to me in regard to the learning biz has been LSD+MDMA, great recreational/therapeutic stuff when the dose is calibrated/timed well.

I can't say, as I've never taken psychedelics. But I certainly feel this way about ecstasy. After about 6 times I've used it now over a year and a half, I feel like there's nothing new it can show me. And I don't just like to get munted on MDMA

The last time I had some beautiful happy realisations - but I realised later that they were the same as the ones I had the first time. After realising that, it was time to stop. I've learnt all I can. I'm just grateful to have experienced such a sweet state :)