• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Do we pay MORE for surgery than it actually costs?

surgery is a prolific business in the united states.

Of course it is!

But, thinking from the perspective of a patient, what price or value would you put on surgical prowess when its you or a loved one that needs a complex and critical surgery?

We paid over $900 alone in latex gloves for my wife's labor. I'm pretty sure they didn't go through an entire single box, which costs like... $5? This was not the best hospital either, just your standard county hospital.

The sterile gloves used in surgery cost about 5 dollars a pair ;)

I haven't heard anything good about the government run health care systems in the UK or Canada. I prefer a system of regulated private health insurance for the majority of people who can afford it with government provided basic insurance for the people who truly cannot afford it.

I disagree. Government-run corporations can afford to operate at a loss every now and then. Privatization in a life-and-death industry is a dangerous idea because it means that people will die when the profit margin grows too thin and some fat needs to get trimmed. Home insurance is a safe bet because hey... has YOUR house ever burned down? Probably not. Your house/car/life insurance company isn't paying out when what's being insured isn't in need of repair or replacement, but your medical insurance pays out every time you visit your doctor or the ER or the pharmacy. I assure you, the company running my drug plan doesn't profit off me anywhere near as much as the company insuring my car does.

The other thing is... why would a two-tiered system work any better than government-subsidized universal healthcare? If a Canadian wants better health care and can afford it, there is nothing to stop them from flying to the U.S. and paying for it. That's a privilege money can buy, which is very similar to the privilege of having 'Platinum' coverage in a two-tiered system when many will have to settle for substandard healthcare.

How good would the government-subsidized coverage be anyway? Are the privileged going to have to pay into that as well to support the service for all the poorer people? That doesn't seem very fair for anyone.

Furthermore, I live in the most populous part of Canada and the longest I've ever waited for any kind of medical test was two weeks. Waiting time is dependent on a number of factors and the only difference between a filled ER in Canada and a filled ER in the U.S. is how wide you have to open your wallet.

I don't understand where people even get the idea that privatization is like a VIP pass. Like it or not medical care is a service you have to share with everyone else. If you need highly specialized care it will cost a lot out-of-pocket regardless of where you live, but the way it is universal healthcare is excellent for solving simple problems and as a result acting as a sort of preventative healthcare to ensure that people suffer less from life-threatening problems that do require specialized emergency care.

that just goes to show you the redundancy of a two-tiered system. like i said just because we have universal health care as canadians doesn't mean i couldn't haul my ass a few hours south and pay for the privilege of cutting in line for a costly medical test.

this also takes me back to the point about medical services being a public service we all have to share with everyone. just because i earn 20G less than you annually doesn't mean the hospital will kick me out to make room for you if we're both insured, and yet the vast majority of uninsured people seem to be THE POOR!

so let's say all the poor get the government-subsidized insurance. does that mean there will be a noticeable difference between the healthcare provided them versus the healthcare provided to someone who can afford private insurance? if there is then the poor are getting fucked, if there isn't then it once again makes the two-tiered system seem redundant.

You pay much more. There's a lot of reasons why, but one is that insurance companies require ridiculous amounts of paperwork to be filed and it costs a lot of money to process it. I have a doctor that doesn't take insurance and works for himself. Because he doesn't have to pay for all of the secretaries, it is a very cheap visit. He's not a surgeon, but same idea. Also, hospitals are required by law to help everyone that comes through their doors, including those who don't have insurance or a means to pay. Just imagine what kind of costs that tacks on to our bills? I have seem numbers in the billions per year at a single hospital. It's obviously a complicated issue, and I don't claim to be an expert, but the answer to your question is definitely: we pay way more.

Any doctor will tell you that his prices are inflated by the extra costs associated with insurance. Go ahead... ask around.

How are nurses in Canada affected by the Universal-Healthcare System-- regarding job opportunities, demand for nurses, etc. ?

Any doctor will also tell you what is billed is not what is received.

I am Canadian (physician's assistant) and moved to the US due lack of preferred employment in Canada. I believe I make a higher salary in the US.

^ You make a higher salary, partially because it's private and partially because of the lower taxes you have to pay. Also, Canadiandollar > Americandollar now. This is the dilemma we're facing now. Every choice has a positive consequence and a negative consequence. Arguing that something is better than another thing is pointless in the end. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. However, of course you pay a bit more than what the surgery "really" costs. You pay for the continued existence of the opportunities around you.

Hospital Charges:
300 mg ibuprofen oral tab... $15.00
Acitominophen, oral... $15.00
Lumbar MRI w/out contrast $3500.00

Good health plan... you know.