• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Do Psychedelics Expand the Mind by Reducing Brain Activity?

šljiva

Bluelighter
Do Psychedelics Expand the Mind by Reducing Brain Activity?
New evidence suggests drugs like LSD open the doors of perception by inhibiting parts of the brain

What would you see if you could look inside a hallucinating brain? Despite decades of scientific investigation, we still lack a clear understanding of how hallucinogenic drugs such as LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide), mescaline, and psilocybin (the main active ingredient in magic mushrooms) work in the brain. Modern science has demonstrated that hallucinogens activate receptors for serotonin, one of the brain’s key chemical messengers. Specifically, of the 15 different serotonin receptors, the 2A subtype (5-HT2A), seems to be the one that produces profound alterations of thought and perception. It is uncertain, however, why activation of the 5-HT2A receptor by hallucinogens produces psychedelic effects, but many scientists believe that the effects are linked to increases in brain activity. Although it is not known why this activation would lead to profound alterations of consciousness, one speculation is that an increase in the spontaneous firing of certain types of brain cells leads to altered sensory and perceptual processing, uncontrolled memory retrieval, and the projection of mental “noise” into the mind’s eye.

read more here.

great read thanks. ive alwats been intrigued by the topic. a friend of mine told me that a professor told him once that around your early twenties, your brains psyche starts to solidify and your mind becomes much less open. your views on the world are stuck so to say. the most creative people are in their teens and early twenties, newton invented calculus in his twenties!

ive always felt that psychedelics, especially MDMA LSD and mushrooms are able to re-open the mind, and access those pathways that allow you to change, alter and redirect your psyche. its my personal belief that with a PERFECTED method, psychedelics could help millions of humans with mental problems, low self esteem, anxiety and other related issues. the drugs just have to be used right. my two cents ;p

^i was thinking the same thing...

the idea is that the centers that filter out "visual gunk" (static, floaters, etc) and the centers that filter out memories (which are, in certain contexts, irrelevant memories to conscious awareness) are themselves inhibited.

so, the title could really go either way. psychedelics both inhibit and excite.