• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random Do parents harm or help their child by kicking them out?

It always depends on the circumstances.
Parents need to establish reasonable boundaries.

It does depend on the circumstances. However in my opinion it leads to a great deal of harm, especially emotionally, but also generally leads to making the problems much worse, at least temporarily. Some people I've met along the way got kicked out of their parents' house for getting caught with drugs. This led to homelessness and increased risk associated with the same drug use. Plus, of course, the emotional trauma of being betrayed by those who are supposed to love you the most. But even worse yet is parents kicking out/disowning their children for renouncing religion, or coming out as homosexual, or something like that. That sort of behavior is deplorable and causes so much trauma.

Now, if you're in your mid twenties, living with your parents still, and doing nothing but smoking weed and playing video games (or something like that)... then yeah, at some point the responsible thing for your parents to do is kick you out. I'd probably do that if I had such a kid, of course I wouldn't put them out on the street, I'd try to help them get started, but still, there comes a point where it's just freeloading.

My dad kicked me out on the street the day after I buried my mum and it hurt me alot..

I actually struggle with that way more than I've struggled with other experiences in my life that some might say were much more traumatic..

I've never spoken to him in 10 years and don't even want to.. He isn't a good person