• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do opiates cause dark circles under your eyes? If so, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think the opioids/opiates themselves cause it, but ive noticed in my own experience that if im still on some sort of opiate while trying to sleep, that my sleep isnt nearly as good

It could also stem from the poor eating habits of opioid addicts. From what I've read here, addicts are much more likely to spend their $ on heroin, cigarettes, and candy/ice cream than on foods rich in iron, such as legumes. Anemia can be a cause of dark circles under the eyes.

above user is right the drug itself doesnt cause it but the effects from using it as in life style will, sleeping patterns and eating imparticular. most opiate addicts and cocaine etc. develop a gaunt skeletal look eventually.

I wonder if that's the same case with meth addicts with their rotted teeth and sores on the face? Anyone I knew who used that stuff over a long period of time seem to have the worst dental health of any other type of addict I've known, much like crackheads but worse. But they don't seem to have the best diets either, when they actually do eat. The only thing that's changed about my diet is that I eat more sweets than I ever had years before I started taking opiates daily (you could say I'm a junk-food vegetarian). Somehow I've managed to remain rather skinny despite my poor diet that consists mostly of ramen, fast-food, and whatever type of cheap sweets I'm jonesin' for. Haha. I mean, I still brush my teeth and shower every day, that's a must. I'll have a poor diet before I ever have poor hygiene.

Last edited:
I wonder if that's the same case with meth addicts with their rotted teeth and sores on the face? Anyone I knew who uses that stuff over a long period of time seem to have the worst dental health of any other type of addict I've known, much like crackheads but worse. But they don't seem to have the best diets either, when they actually do eat. The only thing that's changed about my diet is that I eat more sweets than I ever had years before I started taking opiates daily (you could say I'm a junk-food vegetarian). Somehow I've managed to remain rather skinny despite my poor diet that consists mostly of ramen, fast-food, and whatever type of cheap sweets I'm jonesin' for. So I guess that can be a plus. Haha.

Meth mouth is a combo of several factors: bad hygiene, poor diet, and the tendency toward sweet stuff. If smoking it the fumes/vapors also rot teeth.

Heroin is an appetite suppressant; combined with puking (dopesick or anticipation pukes) and spending that last 20$ on dope instead of a buffet dinner causes the weight loss. At my worst, I was 123lbs (5'10" tall, stocky frame). I looked like hell. Cant imagine Layne Staley being 5'11" and weighing ~95 lbs when he died.

^ that layne staley fact is crazy. I also found myself craving sweets very much when my opiate use increased. Sweets were a kind of substitute for when I couldn't get opiates and when I could they were just a nice bonus.

Yes, it's to let the other humans know you're to be left alone unless they are offering you money or better Heroin. It also helps the dealers to recognize a potential client.

I wish I knew but like.... Once upon a time I was a major opiate addict- prescription by the boatload or street tar- and then I was clean some years and fell for a clean guy.
Clean guy relapsed- i mean handsome, strong, the usuals. Know how I knew the MOMENT he relapsed? THE PURPLE CIRCLES. Hand to God. Every time.
2 years later, whether hes been clean 2 months and uses once or is on a major bender, the circles tell me the real truth every time.
I know this wasn't helful at all. Just relating to what you noticed. :D

I use to think I could hide my opiate use but people that know me say they can tell if I've taken a hefty dose based on my eyes. The pinned pupils and dark circles give me away. And RIP Layne Staley. Alice In Chains was never the same without him. I always thought it was a strange coincidence that he died on the same day and month several years after Kurt Cobain.

Last edited:
Definitely a side effect for me. Not sleeping intensifies it but it just seems like being fucked up makes huge dark circles appear under my eyes. I just ignore it and say I'm sleep deprived if anyone asks, which they don't.

They always did for me, especially when I had little tolerance. What happens, is that at high doses your skin becomes pale which provides contrast and makes it appear worse than before. Whenever I used opium alkaloids (seeds, pods, etc.) it was much worse because of the non-agonist opiates in the latex that have anti-cholinergic and other actions. I was caught a few times without behavioral changes as a direct result of this. I never got it so much from heroin but I always had a huge tolerance when using it.

It is not permanent though, even with long-term use (I used STRONG poppy seeds, like a pound was enough for a light-weight to OD off, for 3 months and it went away after a week or so).

I always wanted to try poppy tea. I just don't trust that I would make it properly. I noticed many people cited lack of sleep due to opiates could be a possible factor for the dark circles. I can sleep just fine on a heavy dose. I just personally prefer to stay awake and enjoy the high rather than sleep through it, given that I only take a large dose just once a week. As broke as I am I gotta ration my stuff and availability is become more scarce these days where I'm from.

Alright, I'm going to close this, as this has nothing to do with harm reduction.
If you want me to move it to Drug culture or have a question feel free to PM me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.