• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Do I have PAWS? Please help

I drank last Christmas and was OK. I then start drinking again pretty much each weekend. The symptoms I had been experiencing over the past year largely disappeared, making me think it was all really just anxiety after all. I was drinking less than before and not exceeding the limits I set, and only drinking at weekends. However, I went out to a couple of friends birthday parties in recent months/weeks which involved starting drinking earlier (therefore more alcohol), and the tension issues seemed to get worse after then. One week recently I was finding that from afternoon until exercising at night, I was feeling really tense and pretty uncomfortable. Then I'd do some exercise and feel a lot better. I haven't drunk in the last two weeks and was better this week, though this weekend I've quite tense and uncomfortable at times.

I've tried breathing techniques (diaphragmatic, 4-7-8 etc) and meditating but it doesn't help. Generally, when I feel bad two things help: eating a big meal or doing a lot of exercise. I don't really feel anxious as such, my symptoms are more just feeling very jittery and tense with tightness on my neck and chest. I'm hoping this isn't alcohol withdrawals. I feel like my gabaergic past is making me extremely susceptible to withdrawals but my doctor just thinks it's an anxiety issue.

I wish I could establish once and for all if it's alcohol withdrawals and PAWS I have experienced in recent times or if it's something like GAD.