DJing ***FAQ*** methods and techniques, bump often

I get what your saying..i think..
are you implying that, at the last 4 beats of the stanza for record 1, kill the bass and bring in the bass for record 2 right?
This will give the effect of the bass coming on record 2 correct?
if that makes any since

sorta...
I mean at the last 4 beats of the stanza, kill the bass on BOTH records and bring in the high of record B..
Works pretty well, and you can do it all the time... it kind of adds a different rythm. you can do it with the bass too, provided that the records are in the same key, or sound good together anyway.. It's kinda like making the song your own.. the "Dj as an artist" idea.
It's just basically sampling... except your using records and not a sampler..
it works well as a lead in to another song.. Sometimes doing it before the break is good, cuz then you can just mix into the other song.
wait for the end of the break, just before the bass comes in, and if you do it right, the bassline on record B will replace the bassline on record A, as long as the records mix well and you're good enough to mix them...
If you listen to commander tom at all, you'll hear what I'm talking about, except a lot of the time he just kills one track and starts the next.. the beats are usually off.. instead of mixing at 1, he mixes at 2 or 3, if you get me.
you should listen to him, he's got such a badass style!!!
I hope this cleared some shit up..
latah

BUMP
gotta keep this thread alive my friends

not a bump for once...
Improved Cutting techniques,
first out of interest do most of you use the crossfader or the level faders for your cutting, i understand the levels have a cleaner sound but the shortness of the crossfader makes me find it easier (I cant do 1/2 beat cutting on level faders).
Also for anyone of any genre of mix djing to improve your cutting do the following:
1. By 1 drum and bass/jungle record.
2. Note the breakbeat: 1 2 3 3 4, occasionally different.
3. This means you can cut on the normal 1 2 3 4 to create a regular beat, at very high speeds (150 - 160 bpm) , therefore improving your speed abilities.
4. You can also experiment like doing 1 2 334 cutting to get just the beats, or 1 2 34, to get really good tempo abilities in your cutting.
You may get a crazy breakbeat like 112 334, in this case even more experimenting can go on.
5. Make sure you can do this over about 64 to 128 beats long without losing regularity and you should be really good.
I have only realised the combination of these ideas now but it is sure to improve your cutting skills.

I learned how to beatmatch using the finger method, but now use primarily the pitchbend. I spin new school breaks, speed garage, and tech-house, and I think that even within genres there is a time and a record for both types of beatmatching. Also, people definitely use the 500 or 600 for the effects, and the fact that you can spin on three or four tables much easier on these mixers than most.
If you spin a style where it will sound right, there are all sorts or things that you can do to spice up your mixing style. You can learn how to scratch, you can learn how to beat juggle, you can learn how to tease (playing 4 or 8 bars of another tracks melody or vocal over another track), you can learn how to do fader cuts where you chop up the beat or melody with the volume fader, you can learn how to do things with the pitch control, the stop/start button, you can learn how to manipulate builds by turning the turntable off and on, or you can create your own little tricks/techniques. The possibilities are virtually endless. Anyone that tells you turntablism is just for hip-hop and jungle is crazy. If you work it right, you can do just about anything with a turntable.
Anyway, I want to ask you guys what you think. A friend and I are having a bit of a disagreement. I say that it is okay to mix to tracks while one or both are in a breakdown, just so long as they sound right and it works. He says that you should never do this, whether you can make it sound good or not. What do you think?
Thaddeus

Something that I really like doing is taking the a capella of a hip hop record and playing a verse or two from certain songs over non-vocal new school. If you put an a capella that is 33 1/3 on 45, then turn the treble way down and the bass way up, it cuts down on the chipmunk effect. Then, get it roughly in sync, and you can pitch bend all the way through while your playing it, because since it is an a capella, it is hard for the untrained ear to hear it go off, and even if it gets a little off, you can fix it easily without anyone noticing.
Thaddeus

Kikn thread guys, right on! I myself got my decks about 3 weeks ago and im still working on matching beats, and have learned alot about it here, thanx, im spinning mainly UK prog./Epic trance, for now anyway, im currently at the point were i can get the beats matched but they "run" from one another. alot of the posts in this thread are helping with that issue thanx again guyz
Static

nice, you guys make me want to go and play with my tables 24 hours a day!!!

Hey what the hell is this.
In reference to whether you can mix two breakdowns.
Its just stupid to suggest a dj 'cant' do something, you can do anything you want if you think it sounds good.
It helps if it actually does though.

I used a bpm meter to learn to mix trance and I never really knew how dependent I was of it until I got a new mixer without one. I believe I have improved tremendously since getting the new mixer. Now that I think of it, when I had the bpm offset meter, I would just sit there and watch it instead of relying on my ears. I recommend ditching your bpm counter after six months if you want to learn with one. I waited almost a year, I think it cost me.
Btw, I can mix breaks pretty well having learned on trance, trance is so touchy compared to breaks, I think trance is definately the hardest to mix. I thought breaks would be because it would be harder to match, but it isn't.

Hi folks,
I haven't had time to read through all seven pages of this thread, however, I found another link that has really good instruction on beatmatching, and a plethora of different subjects regarding DJing, Production, and others.
It's also a really cool message board. Tons of information. Hope this helps out! Thanks.
www.djsource.co.uk

Spaz! Dood, just wanted to let you know that I will be having a going away party for my girlfriend (Mary, remember from WEMF?!) sometime in June b/c she is doing a summer exchange through UNH and is staying in Florence, Italy for a month! So far I'm thinking you, me, Provideron, and Chadwick should throw down... want to keep it close so we can just fuck it up all night with a bit of everything U know kid?! You, me, Wiley... VT... soon bro... soon :c)
And oh yeah...bump a bump bump