• Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Django Unchained

rate this film:

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
haha, I feel like Jaws VS Hitler should have been one of those little vignette-teaser-trailers (like Machete & She-Wolves of the SS), that QT & Robert Rodriguez showed in Grindhouse!!

i'll agree with everyone saying jackie brown is a masterpiece. i dearly love that movie, since i saw it in the cinema way back when. i'm not sure i'd say it's better than pulp fiction or reservoir dogs, but it certainly is every bit as good as them. his later movies i've enjoyed, death proof was pure shit, seriously disappointing, both kill bills were really solid, and i liked inglorious bastards. it turned out quite different than i expected. christopher waltz was already pretty well known in germany prior to this, but he mostly starred in shitty, third rate TV production, and i'm really glad that guy got his break-through role and an oscar, as he's a superb actor who really deserves it. i mean the guy is fluent in four languages for fucks sake. consider me envious.

I think the movie looks pretty good. I`m not a fan of movies opening up on x-mas tho. I can`t ever make the show.

From a purely objective standpoint; do most tend to think that Tarrantino's greatest works are his first 2 films and there has been a steady decline ever since? I was never a fan of his, even with his first 2 classics, but I can understand good filmmaking and those fit the bill. Ever since, though, he seems to live notoriously off reputation. Kill Bill was quite solid but his reputation seems to be superceding everything else. Thoughts?

I'm not so sure about this. Reservoir Dogs has a special place in my heart, so I tend to gloss over it when assessing the 'objective' merit of Tarantino's oeuvre. Pulp Fiction is obviously his masterpiece, but when we take that off the table as well, ranking his films becomes a strangely difficult task. It's like ranking the Coen's movies.

I haven't ever watched Jackie Brown to completion, and I found the parts that I did see kind of tedious - I don't know, maybe I just wasn't in the mood. Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds are pretty much all that's left once we relegate the turd that is Death Proof to the bottom of the barrel.

The consensus seems to be something like:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Kill Bill vol.'s 1&2
4. Ingourious Basterds
5. Jackie Brown
6. Death Proof

But I'm not sure about JB. No one ever talks about it anymore, save for the few dissidents (L2R) who insist on rudely disagreeing with what pop culture tells them is true.

^Well, yeah, I was referring to popular consensus. Of course, I could very easily be 100% wrong on this - the list was reflective of the vague impressions I've received from my cinephilic friends/acquaintances/intarwebz.

Anyway, yeah, my list of personal preference would be very different. I absolutely loved Inglourious Basterds. All the naysayers sound like they missed the point; imagine if people assessed the merit of, say, Reservoir Dogs as a 'dramatic suspense crime thriller' as opposed to the truly unique cinematic achievement that it really is. I think IB hit the mark on just about everything for which it aimed, and then some. It didn't exactly hurt that the entire cast (yes, especially Waltz) was stellar, either.

i just wished IB was about 30-45 mins longer. needs much more character development for the basterds themselves. maybe if it were split into two like kb.

i just wished IB was about 30-45 mins longer. needs much more character development for the basterds themselves.

This. Absolutely this. If I had a complaint of any kind to level at QT for IB, I would implore him to make the movie at least 45 minutes longer. I walked away from my third viewing with a total conviction that Tarantino's script and intended film length were much longer than anything the studio would have allowed.

yeah that was my immediate impression also. the editing got a bt choppy with the basterds, who i bet had their development scenes cut for the sake of the amazing chris waltz performance. such a shame :(. they probably didn't want to make QT the two part film guy and compromised this piece as a result.

i wish i could get more excited for this... tarentino is legend, i cannot even imagine how many times i've seen any of his films (i even like death proof.. laugh away)

this just lacks..something. bah i'm sure i'll like it just don't know wtf i think it's missing. don't feel any "oomph" here :/
/wasn't this supposed to be an xmas release?

dude, it is better not to be excited prior to watching anything. hype is the surest way to disappointment, no matter how good it ends to be.

meh i guess i misspoke a touch then, lemme try again.

that was the 1st actual commercial/teaser i saw, and i'm less excited by it than i've ever been for previous flicks of qt's.
;P

i don't get why jackie brown is regarded as bad or mediocre by anyone. sure, it's not quite as hard-edged as reservoir dogs or pulp fiction, but the story works perfectly, pam grier and robert foster are way better in their respective roles than samuel jackson and john travolta were in pulp fiction, the soundtrack, the whole feeling of the movie is pretty much pitch perfect. also it gets plus points for samuel jackson shooting chris rock in the face. i wish that would happen in real life.

death proof though, my god, what a clusterfuck. it was the only tarantino movie i saw that really, really sucked dick.

ya jackie brown's a great flick (not close to on par with pulp fiction/reservoir dogs, but guess that's not a universal opinion lol)

death proof was goofy for sure, but i still thoroughly enjoyed it ;P

dude, it is better not to be excited prior to watching anything. hype is the surest way to disappointment, no matter how good it ends to be.

Exactly - my expectations for this film couldn't be lower.

It was okay. Blacksploitation + film soundtrack + heavy gore, Dicaprio was good in it.