DJ Etiquette when starting a set at event?

^yeah.

i'm flexible, but a set-ending tune is usually something a bit special.

i tend to end my sets playing 2 records simultaneously; this means that unless there's 3 decks it's impossible for the next DJ to mix out of.

i let the DJ before do what he needs to then either power down at the VERY end of their record or wait for it to play out before beginning - usually w/ some scratching or something!

Switch off the deck, let their record slow to a stop. Pause. Drop your fat tune in to screams of exstacy from crowd.

haha, its really not that big a deal. usually i just do what ^ he said. but sometimes i just mix out if they actually leave me with a good record (which is rare). i've never met a dj that cared if you touch his record. i think you have to be really anal to bitch about that. backspins and scratching is pushing it though i'd say. but if you're good at it then they shouldnt care too much. only thing i can say is make sure you at least try to play the cool part of the record they leave you with. don't cut it right before the build up. thats the only thing that ever pisses me off.

if a dj just wants to kill my record fine, but i hate it when someone will kill your record as soon as they get up there, at least have the decency to wait till the outro starts to kill. But i think backspins and scratching are a no no

you want the audience to feel like something great is about to happen, which it is...im telling you, do what i said above and you will have the crowd from track one :)

HydrA said:
you want the audience to feel like something great is about to happen, which it is...im telling you, do what i said above and you will have the crowd from track one :)

that only works if they mix a genre that could mix into what you're gonna play....your telling me you could pull that trick of if you followed a dnb, techno, or hard house dj?

maybe not...but how many clubs do you know that play dNb and house in the same room?

maybe at a rave or something, but in a club your generally gonna be coming out of a genre close enough BPM wise to match...otherwise, just start from scratch! :) either way, when you come on you want to make some sort of impression on the audience that grabs their attention and then hold it, i think we all can agree on that!

around here all the time, thats why im moving to either texas or florida after i graduate college. i always get stuck behind some idiot playing nukeluz or aphrodite tracks from 3 years ago

edit: i always make sure to start with a bang. my intro/first track is the only part of a set i plan. I play off the crowd after that.

I tend to play whatever is in the bag. I know every beat of every record that is in my bag at any given time.

I usually begin with a LONG build of at least 5 minutes or so, and then into a drum roll that increases in spead, cut the music out, bring it back, cut it out, bring it back, left speaker, right speaker, both speakers, out, in, out....

DROP THE FUCKIN BEAT FULL BASS!

Funky choppy shit... If you've ever seen Carl Cox, Gaetano Parisio or Joey Beltram spin, you know exatly what I'm talking about.

I've always waited until the other guys track is finished and then started with something really atmospheric. I have a cool track that comes to mind, half-speed breaks, very slow, very intense lot's of swirling soundscapes and all that. Give a few minutes to try and figure out if your crap, and then slowly mix in a bassline, keep it low-key, some fast percussion lines maybe, and then a short breakdown to bring the other track out, and bam, bass, here we go!

I don't think it matters who played what before you, you've gotta maintain some kind of flow, but just for example, my mate had the morning set, in a techno room, the other DJ was rocking out some wicked acid, around 140 - 145BPM, and he just finished the record, my mate plays his from the start, and blew the f*cking roof off with 135BPM prog. Everyone on the floor was f*cking rocking it was hilarious, especially my NRG loving friends going "WTF is this shit! Wow!!!" =D

^lol...I thought TheNeoracle and myself were the last ones on earth with friends that STILL like NRG shit!=D;)

~C

Dude, it has nothing to do with the genre. It has to do with mixing ability, track selection, progression, etc...

I have a feeling that my mix will be at least in the top 3 mixes, simply based upon those 3...

I could mix a downtempo set, a breaks set, a techno set...

ANY GENRE REALLY, and still be in the top 3...

UKHH/NRG is awesome! And anyone who would judge based solely upon the genre shouldn't be judging at all...

I for one, would love to be judging. I love all forms of electronica, and would love to listen to all those mixes and judge!

When you just stop the record of the person before you it tends to really kill the energy in the room. I usually try and mix out of their track into a short vocal intro. At least at the level I'm at now I'm a little too afraid of the unknown to beatmatch and mix out of a stranger's track. I would just hate for the crowd's first impression to be me trainwrecking out of someone else's track lol!
When I play before or after a friend though we try to work it out so we leave each other with something remotely compatible so we keep the night flowing smoothly. Like others said above you should never scratch or even backspin someone else's record. Don't physically do anything to it but hand it to them gently or place it back in it's sleeve if asked. I'd be pretty pissed too if someone wasn't careful with one of my favorite records!

I have some record that could never be replaced... if you touch them, you die!

Wait till you hear my mix from last night(I have it on soulseek as of right now) You wont be able to name half the ISH on there(collecteively, that is) :)