• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Dilaudid, morpine, OC - Hospital meds/dosages comments

pisto

Greenlighter
Hi,

I was recently hospitalized with appendicitis. For those that don't know it is very painful. I was writhing in excruciating pain. The ER personnel were very good and they were quick to administer 4MG of Morphine into IV drip. Since I have absolutely no tolerance built up at all anymore to pain medications I got every once of what it had. I could feel it hit my arm like a cold metal coming into my body. It took the pain down to about 3/10 and I had a dull, heavy fuzziness without any other psycho-biological disturbances.

I am not a drug user any longer but at about 19-20 years of age I experimented with many psychedelics, opioids, stimulants and benzodiazpenes. On experience level I would say I am a 5/10. I recently had a friend that was a Heroin addict and died from Fentanyl laced H. I have a very healthy interest and respect for drugs of any kind.

I rapidly develop tolerance to opioids. Literally, I can tell the difference in back to back dosages as far as the effect downgrading. I got two hours out of that first 4MG dose. After getting a reup a couple times while waiting for CAT scans, the ER manager offered to bring me up to Dilaudid since the Morphine just wasn't really cutting through it for long. I was afraid but I agreed. The nurse took a 2ml vial (two inches long and about 1/8" wide) w/ plunger and administered what I would say was a HALF CENTIMETER of this vial into my drip.

I had immediate double vision and it felt like a white, light fuzzy blanket descended upon me and lifted me out of my bed, metaphorically of course. It was light and white as opposed to the way I would describe morphine which was dark and cold. It was far, far more powerful than the morphine but in a good way. It was like a happiness and a confidence that relaxed me. The double vision lasted about an hour w total effect being 2 1/2. I nodded off several times happily but never felt as though I was out of control. I could walk to the bathroom despite the nurses concern that I would fall over. The fact that I was able to walk in the condition I was in at the time is absolutely incredible. There were some antibiotics they had given me but they would not have touched the pain by that point at all. This was all the Dilaudid.

4MG of morphine essentially every four hours until the morning I was discharged after a day and night. I was given what I think was 10 - 20 mg of OxyContin (two small round white pills. I didn't look very hard). Because of my tolerance to the morphine it was stronger than that and was closer to the Dilaudid as far as what it did for me. I also had greatly reduced pain after surgery and IV antibiotics. Oral administration also prevented the immediate kind of effect and feelings I would have with IV admin. The OC really helped me through the morning but I have to say I was a bit disappointed. From what people are doing with this drug and its infamous nature I thought it would knock me out but I wasn't really impressed by those standards. I don't understand the recreational side to it, really. Therapeutically it really did the job, but it was very straight forward and manageable pain killer.

My main question. I want to relate to Jake's experiences before he died. He said that every opioid had a taste he could taste in his mouth when he would shoot. I could not taste anything with the Dilaudid but bc of the double vision I know I was fairly deep into the effect. Or was I? How close was I to a recreational heroin dose? What would a difference be? I have no desire to pursue recreational or otherwise heroin use, I am just curious as to how the Dilaudid measured up in my experience.

I never expected to be administered these drugs in my life or to ever be around them again in any circumstance. I was always told Dilaudid was the best high there was. From Jake it is a matter of personal preference. He loved Heroin but would use D in a pinch to get by. Would I have died if she dumped that whole 2m in me? Did I get into the effects at all or was I at a threshold dose of the stuff? If anyone wants to comment on other exp. please do. It will help me process this very intense experience I had very quickly with no warning having never used hard opioids beyond Lortabs and never checking myself into an ER ever.

Thank you and please be careful.

God is real and He loves you.

Last edited:
Hm, what is it a slow day today? I figured someone would bite. Granted, it is a little long. Hmmm . . .

I don't understand the recreational side to it

If it was two 5 mg oxycodone tablets, its no wonder you wouldn't have experienced why people use it recreational. My first time, ever, at 17 years old that started my decade long addiction to opioids was 20 mg OyxConton insufflated. I had been given oxycodone prior for pain in the 5 to 10 mg range, and it was nothing comparable once I did 20 mg completely non-tolerant.

It's also likely the intravenous morphine and hydromorphone the night prior would have significantly affected your experience.

Well that's kind of the point of my post, I suppose, is where did I get with these things? They said 10mg Oxy. My opinion with the 4mg morphine is I could have gone way, way higher with it. The Dilaudid on the other hand - I don't understand the double vision I had. I don't know if I could have handled much more. How much farther could I have gone with the Dilaudid before just passing out?

I've never tasted morphine or hydromorphone intravenous, only diacetylmorphine.

If it was two 10 mg oxycodone tablets, I would imagine the intravenous morphine and hydromorphone is the culprit then, because oral oxycodone can't even touch any of those especially in terms of euphoria, regardless the dose of oxycodone.

In terms of how far you could have pushed it, that's impossible to accurately answer. I'm not sure about the hydromorphone dose you were given, and the morphine dose seems very high for intravenous. Starting doses of intravenous morphine for non-tolerant patients is 0.1 to 0.2mg/kg, and usually winds up being 1mg/ml or 2mg/ml.

Diacetylmorphine is Heroin? Do you think Heroin has a particular quality about it that makes it especially appealing to drug users? For example, I wouldn't really see anyone using morphine recreationally. It was just boring to me (then again, Oxy was too and you blew that theory up). Dilaudid, well, I can see that.

I didn't taste the Oxy or really get euphoria out of it. The hydromorphone I did not examine close enough. They have different potencies (10mg/ml, 2mg/ml) so we will never know exactly how much was in there. I would suppose 1mg at least.

You think 4mg morphine is a high dose? jw

Diacetylmorphine is Heroin?

Yes.

Do you think Heroin has a particular quality about it that makes it especially appealing to drug users?

I think the fact that it's a prodrug and metabolizes into not only morphine but 6MAM right away is what gives it that extra, special euphoria, especially for intravenous route of administration.

You think 4mg morphine is a high dose?

Yes, to give reference: I was an intravenous opioid drug user with a gigantic tolerance, and after my open heart surgery for endocarditis, I was started on 1mg/ml and eventually upgraded to 2mg/ml because of the severe pain. It's also especially high to give to someone initially who is opioid naive.

Dude, all I can say is that I was pretty much whimpering on that bed in the last moments before they hit me with a 4mg dose for the very first time and it was able to about kill all of the pain for about an hour. I loved feeling it come into my arm. I really grew tolerant to it, though. The Dilaudid had a much, much longer effect. It was a completely different feeling. It was very exotic.

Thanks. Wish someone with some exp with Dilaudid would chime in.

I've had it numerous times for kidney stones in the ER, worked miracles for the pain, but nothing compared to diacetylmorphine (in my opinion.)

What you're describing sounds pretty typical of the contrasts between intravenous morphine and hydromorphone.

Thanks. I checked out a few threads here on heroin vs dilaudid. Big rush on D, they say and some people prefer D over H others H over D. If I were IV drug user, maybe I'd be a dilly kind of guy ;-) I believe the metabolism of H that you mentioned must be the reason that it is illegal while D is still used as a viable pain killer.

I cannot believe they only gave you 1-2mg for open heart surgery. I'm just telling you, I would barely have felt that.

Thanks for your responses here. Again, I never, ever expected to come across these substances in my life. Never even saw them when Jake was alive, although I allowed him to use my place to shoot H many times for safe haven. For me, Dilaudid was the stuff of legend and I did not know it was as widely used in controlled settings for pain management. Glad he gave it to me, but I gotta tell you, I was a little afraid of the stuff at first. Now I just gotta hold on to that fear for the life of me since I'd really love to see what that stuff could really do! Lata