• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diets ~ Honestly how do i loose weight?

Mike, my point about starvation was that just because soemthing works doesnt mean that it's healthy.
I jsut dont see how someone could survive a 6 month stint with no carbs. Honestly that would destroy someone's kidneys. A couple weeks might be ok but months? A high protein low carb diet is IS very rough on the kidneys and eventually it will catch up to you.
Imo, a well rouned, balanced diet and excercise is the healthiest way to lose weight. It may take a little longer than fad diets but in the long run it, it works and most, if not all, diets fail.

OMG yes i run every day on the treadmill
I guess what im asking is is it starvation if i only eat when Im hungry and if i eat just enough to curb my cravings?
I mean according to this calculator of caloric intake thing i only need 800 calories a day to sustain life.
But i mean do you guys think something else is wrong? like maybe physiologically?

I was talking to my cousin who is a nurse and she's said that studies are finding that those who are on high protein/low carb diets over a long period of time have a higher risk of developing bowel cancer. Ok, so its all, he said, she said and i can't reference any sources but i'd guess that its not particularly healthy to be drastically cutting out any food source. I tried a high protein diet in an effort to get more cut. Whilst it showed results, i was absolutely lacking in energy. Ironically, whilst i looked stronger, i felt at my weakest and was often lethargic. I also had to drink a fuck load of water to help my kidneys with the excess protein and probably lost most of my calories in the opening the fly and pissing action than anything else.
I would personally say that an effective diet is a matter of moderation and timing. Now, I try to eat most of my carb intake in the morning. This gives me the energy i need throughout the day. I also have cut my big three meals a day into smaller meals i have every 2 hours or so. As the day progresses, i'll wind back the carb intake and up the protein intake. After 5pm i don't eat any (or should i say limit very heavily) carbs. The smaller frequent meals are good because they keep you topped up and full, your metabolism up and avoiding the cravings for high energy source snacks which starvation tends to bring. Combined with exercise, i can advocate that carbs are fine as long as they're taken earlier in the day.
Goodluck and keep at it.

this is not starvation .. we can go into sematics here but eat the basic vitamins in vegetables , fruit ect.. this is no starvation. and eat very little.
only you know if its physiological and prehaps linked to some other issues in your life. dont worry too much ..we are not put on this planet to indulge in our egos who always make us try to be something to impress others..
have fun

" Angel -- You didn't respond, so I'll ask again -- have you tried RUNNING on a daily basis? Running is NOT the same as other forms of exercise. I can work out for 2 hours a day and I won't burn any fat, I'll just build muscle. Whereas, after a month of running I'll lose about 1/2 of my body fat! "
True... but muscles also burn calories ; ) If she is not in the condition to start running.. I at least suggest that she starts to walk for 20-30 minutes a day and eventually start jogging. Lifting weights ( high rep, low weight) a couple times during the week would help build muscle to burn calories and help improve your physique. However, fairynymph is correct... running will most likely give you better results.

It's not starvation if you only eat while hungry, it's proper nutrition(of course there are some exceptions, as there is to anything).

This thread has got me interested in running. I walk 2 to 4 moileds (30 to 60minutes) daily on my treadmill and reults seem to be minimal and slow. How far do run? How fast? For how long?
I'm gonna give this a shot today. You mean jog right? I mean, you dont sprint for 15 minutes or nothin, right?

There is no one configuration that will work for everybody. It depends on several factors such as weight, lungs, endurance, motivation, nutrition, and body fat.I suggest starting slow and moving up gradually to a more challenging workout. Make sure you stretch before every session.. it's a great habit to have. Good luck, I personally suggest you jog until exhaustion then rest for 3-5 minutes and sprint full pace for another couple minutes (make sure you are walking around during your rest, my grandpa died from a heart attack while on a rest from running). Enjoy the natural energy ;) !

I am 5'8 and weigh 140. I do not diet, just eat whatever I feel like and also I am lazy. Perhaps the fact I am a carnivore plays a major role? also if she has tried all of the following she probably just has a slow metabolism. Ive seen 300 pound people eat only 2000 calories a day and walk daily just to prevent weight gain, let alone lose weight. I know I like full figured women and so do most men, but its your body, your choice to lose weight. Lets forget what men think about you for a moment and focus on health risks. your ideal weight would be like 160lbs, considering the average american woman is 5'4 to 5'6 and 140-160lbs anyway! I should weigh 160, more if I become a bodybuilder LOL. just eat tons of meat, less carbs but still some. I dont know if you are even listening, as fairnymph said you werent listening.

bonecutter, thanx for clearing that up!!!And I agree that a well rounded diet and exercise is the way a person should start dieting, but when all else fails you must use a differnt approach!!!And in case anyone was wondering 99% of the time, the first area where fat builds up, is the last place it will be removed! I had to work really had to lose my double chin. It was the first place i noticed when i gained weight and it took forever for get rid of it!!! MikE

Running on a treadmill is NOWHERE NEAR as good as running outside. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't work the muscles in the same way and it doesn't work the muscles as much overall.
I guarantee you if you RUN (and by that I mean a fast jog) every day for a month, you will lose weight. You will have to keep running to keep it off, though.
I'm talking 2-5 miles, 6 days a week. Obviously you won't start out like that, but you should be able to work up to that within a month, depending on how fit you already are.
As for the carbs/protein thing -- let me just say that everyone's body works differently. I went on the atkin's diet for a couple weeks (WHILE running I might add) and I did not lose a single pound! In fact, I even gained a few!
However, when I was running and eating 4000 calories a day, 90% of those calories from carbs, I was at my thinnest ever (I looked like a skeleton!). I had to start eating more protein (esp meat, as I was primarily vegetarian at the time) and fat in order to gain some muscle and weight so that I didn't look like a nasty skeleton.
Now, the carbs thing only really applies to when I am running, but even when I am not running, too much protein will make me gain weight. For me, it is very important to eat a LOT of veggies and fruit, and then eat smaller amounts of protein and carbs (this is when I am not exercising).
The other thing I have found helpful in maintaining my weight (I am currently at my thinnest ever while not running and eating normally), is eating certain foods at certain times of the day.
Morning -- carbs, occasionally a bit of protein (usually in the form of milk), fruit
Noon -- some carbs, some protein, some veggies,
Night -- primarily veggies, very little or no pure carbs, small amount of protein
As for fat, I don't really worry about it too much. I drink whole milk, I use butter and cheese, and I eat baked goods occasionally. But, I consume small amounts of all of these. I avoid processed foods (AND HYDROGENATED OIL, which is the devil's food), and I prepare 80% of my own food.

I agree with Bonecutter on the low-carb thing.
YES, it works.
But is it easy? Uh, unless you really like eating meat with butter, and don't mind never having a piece of bread, a chip, a piece of pizza or even fruit, in some cases.... NO.
ANY diet that leaves you with no skills to handle EVERYDAY eating situations for the rest of your life, will just end up in the yo-yo basket with the rest.
But, as I've said before, do it if you're a short-term kinda person ... and if you can handle picking your burger out of your bun while the rest of your friends enjoy theirs *shrug*.
btw, Vegetarian Atkins? I doubt it...

Also... another vote for running. I found, like fairnymph did, it's a magic potion. If you can walk you can run; just build up gradually. 30 minutes at a time is plenty, too.
I DID have to do it every day, except Sat or Sunday, though - and keep challenging myself with hills or sprints, etc., once I'd gained fitness. But yes, running's brilliant.

As far as associating starvation and dieting, a good approach is to keep busy. I generally only think about food, how hungry i am and how well a toasted jaffle with extra cheese and ham would go down when i'm idle. If i'm on my arse watching tv, fucking about on the internet or exceptionally bored, i'll have a sharp urge to eat, even if i know i'm not hungry. It may not be the same for you, but i've noticed a lot of people snack heavily during times of no physical or mental exertion. Whether it be a good book, study, joining a sporting team, running, gardening, charity work, swimming or cleaning to music in your underwear find activities that will keep you occupied and not thinking about food.
Eat slowly, enjoy every mouthful, chew your food well, have a conversation as you eat and basically draw out the length of your meal. It take about 15 minutes for your body to register that its full. By eating slower it make it easier to assess when your hunger has been satisfied.
Drink more water. If the taste irks you that much squeeze a whole lemon or orange into every 1 litre of water. Water will fill your stomach so you eat less, boost your metabolism, burn a few extra calories whilst not adding any, help flush out toxins etc etc. Yeah, it tastes like shit, but it does work.
Keep a well documented diary to help motivate you and keep you on track. Buy a big exercise book and record what and when you eat. This will help figure out your calorie intake for the day. Write comments about how you feel. Sluggish, fantastic whatever, it all helps with self assessment, keeps you motivated and its much better to be bitching to a diary about that fucknut that fired you from your job, rather than camping in the kitchen and drowning your sorrows with twinkies. Record your exercise regime brutally. Be as detailed as possible. "I went for a jog" wont cut it. Write down how long it took, how far, what the terrain was like that way you can check your progress and every few weeks up the intensity. Same applied for a weights program, write down weight, sets and reps. and always aim to equal or better your previous performance. Lastly, add anything which will help you. If writing down "I ONLY ATE ONE CHOCOLATE BISCUIT TODAY" in red text helps you, then do it.
Again goodluck!

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR ALL OF YOU SUGGESTIONS!
I noticed over the past 3 days that a few of my problems are as follows...
- When I feel the need to feed myself it is usually not hunger but emotions that I'm feeding...so i need to watch that.
- I really need to make exercise a habit instead of a chore.
- I need to stop being so stagnant with my friends and b/f and tell them how i feel and what i want to do about it...i noticed i don't get much support from anyone :(
I hope all of this shit works...my life changes tommorrow :)

Originally posted by Bonecutter:

I jsut dont see how someone could survive a 6 month stint with no carbs. Honestly that would destroy someone's kidneys. A couple weeks might be ok but months? A high protein low carb diet is IS very rough on the kidneys and eventually it will catch up to you.

Bonecutter,
Some, otherwise untreatable, epileptic children stay on ketogenic diets year-round with no ill effects.
Please refer to: This thread on lowcarbing (long) on BL from earlier in the year and even follow up over there if need be.
If I were Angelface, I wouldn't want my question hijacked by a debate like this
nasaltr0n

Last edited:
One thing that I find helpful is to do your own shopping and have healthy snacks around. Most of the time when I'm craving something to eat - I haven't decided what it is going to be until I walk into the pantry. Thus having prepared healthy snacks around (and guilt free eating as much as I want) is an easy way of helping.