• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Didn't do my research thoroughly, what now? (DXM)

shadowstryker

Bluelighter
Hey guys, so I recently kicked heroin for the umpteenth time, and I've recently been using other drugs (that won't show on drug tests) as alternatives. So far that means a lot of kratom, passion flower, and kava have been used to replace my addiction. However, I discovered dxm a few days ago. I was under the impression it was a psychedelic similar to LSD or psilocybin, but soon discovered it was more similar to ketamine. I absolutely love the stuff. A lot. And that's the problem, since I thought it was a psychedelic I didn't think about looking into whether or not it was addictive, and with my addictive tendencies I'm finding it incredibly difficult not to use it every day, despite knowing it's neurotoxic at such frequencies. Wtf do I do now? I finally kicked my strong addiction I don't need another one on my shoulders to replace it.

If your not enrolled already you may think about getting into an IOP program for addiction treatment. You could also see a doctor to get some type of medication to help deal with the PAWS. Some low doses of clonadine may go a long way in reducing your cravings for opiates and dissociatives.

Try and avoid the kratom as you will end up addicted to it. Using the kratom may also increase your cravings for DXM. Calcium magnesium like DXM has NMDA activity though to a much lesser extent. Try and get on a strong cal mag supplement. You could use chamomile tea when your cravings for DXM kick up. Gabapentin was a life saver for me during PAWS from opiate WD. Though it is physically addictive the dependency to the gaba was much less harmful in the long run. Exercise and then a hot bath with epsom salts right after a strong craving hits can save you from relapsing. Maybe look into some supplements, nootropics or amino acids that interact with NMDA.

If your not enrolled already you may think about getting into an IOP program for addiction treatment. You could also see a doctor to get some type of medication to help deal with the PAWS. Some low doses of clonadine may go a long way in reducing your cravings for opiates and dissociatives.

Try and avoid the kratom as you will end up addicted to it. Using the kratom may also increase your cravings for DXM. Calcium magnesium like DXM has NMDA activity though to a much lesser extent. Try and get on a strong cal mag supplement. You could use chamomile tea when your cravings for DXM kick up. Gabapentin was a life saver for me during PAWS from opiate WD. Though it is physically addictive the dependency to the gaba was much less harmful in the long run. Exercise and then a hot bath with epsom salts right after a strong craving hits can save you from relapsing. Maybe look into some supplements, nootropics or amino acids that interact with NMDA.
I feel like I'd be extremely unlikely to be prescribed clonadine based on my history of substance abuse. I'm a late teen (almost 20) with a heroin problem, I was given clonadine in rehab but that was a controlled environment.

Clonidine isn't a controlled substance - so there isn't much pressure on dr's to not prescribe it.

Yeah, don't take DXM daily. It may feel pretty nice sometimes but can also be a nasty and psychological exhausting substance.
If you always crave drugs I would look into opioid replacement therapy even if you kicked the H. But getting on alow dose of Subutex could eliminate all those cravings and help you to live a relatively normal life without doing a variety of drugs every day. If you use DXM every day you will be fucked in a very short amount of time.

Yeah, don't take DXM daily. It may feel pretty nice sometimes but can also be a nasty and psychological exhausting substance.
If you always crave drugs I would look into opioid replacement therapy even if you kicked the H. But getting on alow dose of Subutex could eliminate all those cravings and help you to live a relatively normal life without doing a variety of drugs every day. If you use DXM every day you will be fucked in a very short amount of time.
Im probably going to wait another 3-4 days before doing it again, starting today. I used to be on suboxone but the doc told me he didn't want me on it more than a couple weeks.

I've never found therapy to help me much, it always seems so superficial.

This is exactly what I was thinking before I met my current therapist.
You should go to a few and hopefully you'll meet someone you like that can help you

Do you have any friends/family that can support you?

Maybe look into Sober Living ?

I used to have this issue and it fucked up my tolerance for DXM for a very long time. For two years straight (not daily, maybe 2 times a week) I did DXM. On one 3 day binge (of Coricidin at the time) I could feel my brain burning and was having a horrible trip. I know it wasn't the DXM though.

DXM can be nice, if you're nice to it. Don't abuse it as much. You'll need more and more every time to feel the same. I'm at the point where if I want to trip, which is rarely now, I quit for a couple of months earlier in the year, I take 60 cough gels (900mg) and end up not remembering because two (or 2 1/2) isn't enough to be satisfying anymore.

It made me very antisocial and I tripped around my family a lot and twice my mom joined in with me (only 150mg for her.) It became horrible because I craved it so much I took Coricidin gully knowing the risks, only 10 at a time with room to increase.

Anyways, it can really mess you up. What you said about therapy OP, I've been trying since 2011 to get a therapist and I finally found one that I can connect with earlier this year. Takes time. Not saying it'll take that long for you, but you'll find someone to confide in.

I was on Clonidine 0.1mg before indomnia. Got off. Wasn't hard, it was actually my first script for insomnia in a while.

Stop taking drugs (at least for a while) and go to therapy
Shadows been told this over and over again. He just won't listen. Honestly I feel this is a cry for attention.... Maybe I'm just an asshole, but there's much more serious problems than this. Especially in shadows life

DXM, too much of it anyways can make you go crazy. I used it chronically. The potental for damage is there. I do know though that taking it everyday for too long will make you go nutty. Delusions with no foundational in reality. Real ugly stuff.

My first post here heh... it tugged my heartstrings. Recent shit.
Ill hit the introduction section soon and then I have topics to bring up. But..

Sorry brother, but you need to hear something. If the dxm takes such a hold on you when you are still supplementing and tapering (hopefully reducing your kratom dosages every 3 or so days) that is your addictive reptile inside you talking, not reality, and maybe you arent ready yet. You should absolutely go through the pain of kicking this though. I empathize. It is the amounting of loss that finally reaches a threshold where you feel no longer a man and hate yourself head to toe. And then you still got a couple relapses to go.

I hate religion. But they on the outside make more of it than whats really in AA. Id reccomend going to AA instead of NA, and just be an observer. make yourself go once a day for a couple weeks. See if it starts changing your thinking.

For me, I was tapering opiates/benzos/phenibut... got to the very bottom and started going on crazy weekend runs out of nowhere, total impulsive. I got FUCKING SICK of waking up surprised to be alive. Every time, why did I fucking deserve to live.. and I wasnt suicidal. Thats just how bad the pain gets. I woke up having mixed 15 substances in the very same night, and I started around 12pm. And not a little of each... multiple sitm grams... 3 different dissociatives... empathogens... alcohol... pot... synthetic cannabinoids... 3 tryptamines... opiates... benzos...

The hardest part is just putting your foot in the door of a meeting. Even if you dont stay... Id reccomend anyone give it 3 weeks. I am sure of it you will gain some perspective and mind that was lost in your drug use, and you will be closer to achieving your goal as a human being, not a chemical parasite running a human being body.

And you need that mental strength. Cus the toughest part? Doubt you're 80. You have a lot of years, to take day by day. But just remember... its only today. Just get through today. Repeat.

Much love vibes to you

I believe my use of DXM in my teens ranging in doses of 50-200 mg 2x a month and then the use of ketamine for a few years in even smaller doses 3x times each month helped my body develop intercitial cystitis. After taking 4 robo gels per day for an extended period of time I started experiencing an extremely painful syndrome in my urinary track. Kidney and urinary problems are sometimes associated with the use of katamine and DXM to a lesser extent. Just so you are aware of some of the dangers in the long run. Clonadine is commonly prescribed for people with a history of substance abuse in the first few months of clean time.

Thanks guys, I took kleins advice and hit up a substance abuse hotline / got one numbers of doctors/therapists and iop programs since I decided I should probably start going to them again.

Shadows been told this over and over again. He just won't listen. Honestly I feel this is a cry for attention.... Maybe I'm just an asshole, but there's much more serious problems than this. Especially in shadows life
I honestly didn't think dxm was addictive, but just because I'm a repeat offender doesn't mean it's a very for attention. I already kicked heroin and benzos again, and I've got meeting with a doctor soon for antidepressants so I am trying, but believe what you want man I don't have the energy to argue.

Last edited:
Glad you did this-and I hope you can find a shrink or a therapist. I know you found therapy superficial but how long did you go? It really does take time because you have to be invested-no therapist can give you immediate answers. It took a while to develop problems-dealing with your issues takes more than a few sessions. Seriously, good luck.

Glad you did this-and I hope you can find a shrink or a therapist. I know you found therapy superficial but how long did you go? It really does take time because you have to be invested-no therapist can give you immediate answers. It took a while to develop problems-dealing with your issues takes more than a few sessions. Seriously, good luck.
I've only ever been to a therapist once, I just...I'm not sure it just doesn't seem real to me. Like they're only listening because I pay them to.

^There are therapists out there that do it to help you, not for the money, but they are hard to find. So go to as many as possible 'till you find someone you're comfortable with

I took DXM when I was 14-15 just before I started taking opioids. One might think hardly anyone would go from opioids to DXM, I myself simply stopped DXM because when I took codeine for the first time, I realized it was what I really needed like every day, DXM was okay once a week to go to a different place where I felt nice and paradoxically not feeling all alone. I'm not a person who likes to categorize people, however, observing only this forum those who tend to find their peace in dissociatives are more or less lacking in the same department and it is social life for some reason. I took opioids and benzodiazepines for years to eventually land on buprenorphine which is obviously not doing the same thing for me, and I guess I've always looked for something to slow down my mind, so I could finally not give a damn about certain stuff in social situations that most people never think about. Not sure what this is in medical terms, perhaps some form of obsessive-compulsive illness though it certainly feels much different, perhaps it's BPD though what it actually is itself is hard to say as well, I do have most of the symptoms, however, I no longer indulge myself in any relationships at all as I basically show very little expression when I'm among people and I stopped taking initiative even when someone shows interest in me, I just don't as it has cost me my sanity quite a few times.