• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detoxing my liver...any ideas?

LJ123

Greenlighter
Hi guys, for about 2 years I abused codeine 30/500 and at my worst was taking 8-10 pills a day (on and off for 2 years, sometimes going months not taking any). I didn't really realise I was addicted to them as I got them from the doctor and I slowly came to an awful realisation what I was actually doing to myself. Anyway, I've quit them and haven't touched the things for about 1 month now and am so much happier. Most of the time I was only taking 4 or 5 a day, however this was at once. So for the past month I have also been taking milk thistle every day, drinking lots of water, eatings lots of greens and hoping I can make up for any harm I may have done to my liver over that time. What else can I do to detox my liver? I also take multivitamins every day.

Thanks in advance %)

Your liver doesn't need detoxing. It is a clean organ.

What it needs are the nutrients that help it to do its job, mainly the nutrients found in greens, as well as the B vitamins found in animal products.

Bitter is a flavour that helps the liver a lot too. Arugula, dandelion, chard, beet tops... those kinds of things. Bitter has a downward and cooling nature that gets the bile flowing and clears out the middle GI.

If you're dealing with fatty liver or some kind of obvious excess like that, then water fasting can help. During a fast the body will consume all of the excess as fuel.

Hi guys, for about 2 years I abused codeine 30/500 and at my worst was taking 8-10 pills a day (on and off for 2 years, sometimes going months not taking any). I didn't really realise I was addicted to them as I got them from the doctor and I slowly came to an awful realisation what I was actually doing to myself. Anyway, I've quit them and haven't touched the things for about 1 month now and am so much happier. Most of the time I was only taking 4 or 5 a day, however this was at once. So for the past month I have also been taking milk thistle every day, drinking lots of water, eatings lots of greens and hoping I can make up for any harm I may have done to my liver over that time. What else can I do to detox my liver? I also take multivitamins every day.

Thanks in advance %)

It's good that you're not using that kind of amounts of paracetamol anymore. A human liver can actually heal completely even after a large percentage of it has been destroyed by alcohol, paracetamol or other toxins, given that the exposure to the toxic substance stops. You don't really need to particularly do anything to make your liver get better, just try to eat healthy and avoid drugs/alcohol. Paracetamol doesn't accumulate in the liver like some fat-soluble substances (e.g. vitamin A, dioxins) do.

^ I was reading in a medical journal a month ago that that liver cells completely replace themselves every 40 days. It's a pretty incredible organ!

Thanks for all your replies guys, I'm mainly taking the milk thistle to reduce my paranoia that I have liver failure (even though I have little to no symptoms of it, except checking the damn color of my eyes for jaundice 5 times a day) but regardless I will prioritise my diet to be healthy. Would any of you recommend I go to the docs for a blood test to check my liver? Or would I know about it if I needed to?

What it needs are the nutrients that help it to do its job, mainly the nutrients found in greens, as well as the B vitamins found in animal products.

Bitter is a flavour that helps the liver a lot too. Arugula, dandelion, chard, beet tops... those kinds of things. Bitter has a downward and cooling nature that gets the bile flowing and clears out the middle GI.

If you're dealing with fatty liver or some kind of obvious excess like that, then water fasting can help. During a fast the body will consume all of the excess as fuel.

Good advice, thanks. I heard aloe vera water is good for this also.

fruit lots of fruit, dunno about specifically the liver, but my body has "forced" out, out of a erection like Litters of fluid, felt great, but 2nd time smelled like a ashtray...

Thanks for all your replies guys, I'm mainly taking the milk thistle to reduce my paranoia that I have liver failure (even though I have little to no symptoms of it, except checking the damn color of my eyes for jaundice 5 times a day) but regardless I will prioritise my diet to be healthy. Would any of you recommend I go to the docs for a blood test to check my liver? Or would I know about it if I needed to?

Really itchy skin, jaundice, darker urine, blood clotting problems, cold hands/feet and swelling of the abdomen are hallmark signs of outright liver failure. If you have to look really hard for jaundice it's doubtful you have it. The jaundice of liver failure looks like a dull yellow, it's not going to be bright yellow like you would see in acute infection or something like that. But it would still be pretty obvious.

In a nutshell, if you had acute liver failure you wouldn't be here writing about it, you'd be in the emergency room.

If you're this paranoid just go get blood work. Even if the blood work shows some abnormal liver enzymes, it can be corrected by avoiding drugs and leading a healthy lifestyle. Chill out.

Thanks man, well I'm still alive...gotta be a good thing. Your comment really helped chill me out as the paranoia was a bit bad today. I can't imagine how many people are doing what I did, maybe for years, without realising the implications of it as I had no idea until I googled.

Yeah codeine can be intense over the long-term, but it's not like your liver will just drop dead at a moment's notice. There would be warning signs. And judging by what a hypochondriac you are ;) you would notice them and wonder wtf and proceed right to a doctor.

agreed, taking lighter meals or even fasting occasionally also helps the liver repair itself by reducing load on it. sometimes for dinner all i have is a big bowl of salad with lettuce and dandelion leaves, with a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil and mustard for dressing, and to make it more filling either shredded cheese or some sort of cooked beans

[h=4] Milk Thistle, Dandelion, and Turmeric Supplements[/h]

agreed. milk thistle especially has good support from scientific studies.

Milk thistle works really well, if you can get the raw turmeric rhizomes they are amazing, although they can stain things yellow - I make a tea with those, honey and lemon juice that works as a bit of an all-round health booster, but is especially good for the liver. Green tea is also very helpful, as is garlic.

Thanks in advance %)

I was/am in a similar place that you are and here is a list of stuff I have took to help with liver detox/regeneration/health:

- NAC
- Silybin Phytosome (aka Siliphos) This is the best forms of Milk Thistle as it has way better Bioavailability compared to standard milk thistle (silymarin) that you would get at the store. Go online and order some Silybin Phytosome (Siliphos).
- Curcumin Phytosome
- phosphatidyl choline
- TUDCA (It is a bile salt. One of the best next to Siliphos)
- Dandelion Tea (Drink daily 2 - 3 cups a day. I use Traditional Medicinal brand)
- Artichoke Extract

All these are great for your liver.

Go get some TUDCA. It is one of the best things you can take to protect/heal your liver. Also Silybin phytsome (Siliphos) is one of the other best supplement to take to help regenerate and heal your liver.

If you do decide to get some TUDCA and use it, just know that you CAN NOT drink alcohol after you take TUDCA, it can lead to liver damage. If you are going to drink make sure you only take TUDCA after you are done drinking, wait about 2hrs after your last drink..

Last edited:

bingo.

Go to a doctor, ask for a liver function test. If it comes back ok, you're golden, you need do nothing else except not start on the pills again and eat reasonably well.

If it doesnt come back ok, you and your doctor can decide what to do from there, but if you're young with no risk factors, id say you'll probably come back fine.

Detox's are make believe, and no I have no interest in arguing this point. The toxins you are detoxing yourself basically don't exist. Either they outright don't exist or they exist but aren't what they're claimed to be.

Whether you can "detox" your liver or not is a bit controversial but there are things you can take for support like vitamin e. My doctor was the one to recommend that I take 800 IUs of it. Apparently it acts as an antioxidant and helps remove free radicals.

I'd go to a doctor and have tests done. I wouldn't attempt to self treat a problem using supplements. That is rarely effective from what I know about the nature of supplements. A doctor would be able to provide you with medical advice and treatment, if something is wrong. However, it appears that you are feeling okay and not having any obvious signs of something being awry. Therefore, maybe everything is okay. I don't know that it is obviously, but don't assume the worst. Prepare for it but don't assume it. In the mean time, before you know one way or another, eating a good diet definitely wouldn't hurt and could only help, as you said.

Indeed. After the exams or even as of now, try to eat healthy light food, avoid sugary beverages, saturated fat, iron as it's often retained by the liver. Give yourself a total break from substances you may be using. Lose belly fat, exercise and like everything in life, keep yourself hydrated. Our liver is even more important than our heart, itthe lagest organ and it processes everything you eat, use or drink. Take care! :)