• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox,a holiday or hell.

QuE-dAwEiRd1

Bluelighter
I just have to wonder.And I'm only talking about addiction for fun that got out of hand.(Not pain,mental or emotional trauma)just plain addictIon to drugs because of being a rebel,for the sake of fucking up,impressing friends getting back at overbearing parents etc.should detox be easy?rehab be like a hotel?esp for people who relapse after wasting money that they don't have that their families don't have on facilities?would it help to go through hell rather than massages and art classes and being pampered.?I mean if its hard and rough and complete hell wouldn't that scare and prevent relapses knowing what's coming if u do relapse.I went to a spa of a rehab and took it for shit relapsed a week later and abused and loved all the extra meds I got.only when my life was in pieces and I wanted to be valued and worth of my family my life and live a sober healthy life and quit cold turkey I stayed clean.I had wd for 3 days(HELL)sweats,fever,vomit,head felt its going to burst)I felt like begging to please just let me die!!!!but it was the best thing.Now I'm scared shitless.never went back that was 2 years ago.I respect medicine,its purpose and use.I know if I every start again pure hell awaits me.yes not everyone can quit cold turkey,risk of seizures and even death.but maybe rehab shouldn't be a walk in the park,detox shouldn't be a breeze.atleast not for healthy people who just thought lifes a dick and wanted to fuck it up.

I had the same experience 4 years ago when I went to a summer camp of a rehab. This last one I went to was a shithole and the detox sucked and I somehow feel like I got a lot more out of it.

Yea,I just think for some individuals rehab needs to be hard and detox because people with similar fuck the world I'm on top of it people like me needs a bitch slap back to reality and needs to see there's a BIG downside to drug abuse.if its all fun all of the time I mean y not rinse and repeat..but hell brought me back and made me grateful to be sober and free.that's just me and what I deserved for putting people I love in debt hurting them and betraying their trust.I was an addict because I was ungrateful for my life my circumstances and situation,yet didn't see just how privileged and better off I was..well my eyes are open now and I'm thankful

Detox need not be so painful. I am like you though. I needed a white knuckle detox and a swift kick in the groin to get me to stay clean. Not because it is necessarily helpful to have a miserable experience, not because it reminded me not to go back, but because I had so much built up guilt and shame that I felt the need to be punished.

Most people shouldn't be punished for being an addict. That turns it into a moral problem and less of a health problem. Should someone with diabetes be forced to feel miserable for a life of eating poorly? No they shouldn't and here is why. Regardless of past mistakes one can change and there is no need to make the change with the feeling of having your feet in the fire. Not to mention, most addicts do not want to be addicts, but withdrawals keep them from quitting. More people would accept help if instead of spending our Drug War money on incarceration, rather they spent it on rehabilitation so it wouldn't be such a financial hit if the addict in question doesn't have success. Secondly, more people would quit if it wasn't so damn debilitating to be in withdrawals.

Most of the problems associated with addiction could be helped greatly if instead of treating it as a moral or criminal problem, it was treated as a health problem. It starts with investing in the family. There is a less likely chance of a kid growing into an addict if their parents spend more time with them. Fund after school sports, art, and community programs. A kid with something to do is less likely to use drugs. Legalize marijuana so users need not get it on the black market where their dealer may also offer other more addictive drugs. Create jobs because having a job one cares about is a great deterrent to feeling hopeless. Hopelessness and apathy are our two biggest enemies.

I agree.that's why I have so much sympathy and respect for emotional,metal chronic pain individuals.they are ones fighting demons,real inner pain.they need help assistance guidance and true affection.whereas some just take life for granted,some people have all the support,people with love patience and money to stand by them yet they still ungrateful,rebellious and angry.yes most people don't always understand and see or feel how you feel but there's real people with real pain and problems who could use a silver lining and a little peace in their lives than should be helped assisted and loved through their battles,but for those who think its fun and games just to F.up a wakeup call and serious slap from reality doesn't hurt

You are a real person with pain and problems que. You need to look inside and see why you are an addict in the first place in order to understand why you needed a hard detox.

Yes there are a lot of ungrateful bastards out there, but that is no reason to not be compassionate for them. They just have a different circumstance than us, but the end result of active addiction is the same; Misery, self loathing, pain, hopelessness, complacency, guilt, and fear. Look at that, rather than their actions for they have just not gotten the message yet, and their addiction is causing them to act that way. Hopefully, they get the message before it is too late because it is better to have someone spreading the message rather than pushing up daisies.

I understand an agree with you totally!compassion understanding and inspiring goes a long way.I'm just stating from a personal view and experience that I would never have listened or changed.I always know what's best,I argue I'm condescending and was selfish,I deserved my hell because of what I caused to my loved ones.and now I'm a better more humble person(atleast trying)I still don't know if I'm bipolar for sure but quit that meds along with my anxiety meds.and some days my mind wonders my thoughts are scattered and I think and speak irrationally(but that's normal right?)I can't speak to anyone because I'm on last chance with my husband one more talk of pills doctors and he will give up on me.so I'm soberly trying to file my brains contents and my fears and anxiety.I don't want to ever abuse medication again and lose trust and love I regained.its hard but I'm pushing on.

Ultimatums never work. I would highly suggest introducing him to alanon, or a support group for the people involved in addict's lives. As for you, keep posting in this forum. One of the things that is incredibly helpful for addicts in recovery is commiseration. You need support. Have you thought of seeking therapy, or going to support groups? Those are non-judgmental places that you can talk about your problems openly.

Thank you for your reply,yes I will try and no I won't stop posting here.This is the only place I can be free to rant rave and just ramble.its Godsend and helps me more than you know.thank you:)

I have been to several different detoxes, and I can tell you it's a blessing.
It's what you make of it, honestly.
The only bad experience I have had was one detox did not provide any opiate comfort meds besides motrin.
Usually, they have SOMETHING to help you, and it's always good to stay in a medical-based environment.
I could have never gotten off of opiates if it was not for detox.

I don't think making addicts suffer is any more helpful to there eventual sobriety than making detox as painless as possible. A good rehab realizes that detox is a separate part of the process than rehab. I withdrew from subxone threw an entire 30 day program and didn't get shit out of it because I was just too physically sick to even think about my emotional pain.

I talking in general.I was an addict too,so no prejudice,I'm still struggling as well,but due to what I had to go through on my own to get clean,I would be stupid to go back.in that sense my ordeal helped my my struggle enlightened me,motivates me to try my utmost to abstain,refuse and ignore cravings as best I can.the easy mellow rehab ativan and benzo holiday wouldn't help me at all I was to deep,one high and I'm a goner,one dose and I'm hooked one pill above schedule 7 and I'm the new nr 1 client.I was hardcore,my substance might not have been but I was.what happened to me,as cruel and hard as it was helped me,scared me and saved me.I will recover forever but I'll always be beter than I was.people who need it,who have real in-depth problems,mental,emotional,physical they need help,doctor,meds and release..I was just a fool who got hooked of script meds because it made me feel nice.a coward because I wasn't thanfull of my life and all I had,love and family..so I'm not saying addicts abusers should all go to a boot camp hell hole rehab NO I'm saying different situations need be handled differently

I think ere are about as many ways to effectively detox as there are people. From white knuckle variety or those who kick in jail to those who need a spa environment. I watched a partner go through an emergency morphine detox at a hospital-he'd had a cardiac arrest and the docs couldn't even start the testing until he'd been through the withdrawal. Not pretty and it did not keep him clean.

But regardless of the location or method, the person has to say"enough" before detox can start addressing the addiction.

I think ere are about as many ways to effectively detox as there are people. From white knuckle variety or those who kick in jail to those who need a spa environment. I watched a partner go through an emergency morphine detox at a hospital-he'd had a cardiac arrest and the docs couldn't even start the testing until he'd been through the withdrawal. Not pretty and it did not keep him clean.

But regardless of the location or method, the person has to say"enough" before detox can start addressing the addiction.

This is incredibly important. It is why family members giving you ultimatums, or forcing you into rehab does not work!

The only thing I can think of comparing QuE-dAwEiRd1 to is the lotus, you all know how that story goes. But will she get there? I sincerely hope she does!