• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Desperately trying to quit opiates NEED HELP PLEASE

Strugglingopiteadd

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I am new and this is my forst post... I have been addicted to vikes, percs for 5 years ( 6 to 10 pills a day )and desperately want to quit. I just went 3 days ( well 2 and 3/4) and just took 1 perc 10/325. Will this delay the hell is withdrawals at all?? I have went through hell the past 3 days and really want to quit. I am.so ashamed of myself for taking one and am very scared it will set my withdrawals back. I have been a long time reader of these forms and decided I needed to join, I need all the help and support I can get. Please, if anyone reads this please help me... I am 29 and have 2 children and a wonderful family that I have lost because of this mess. Someone please help....

One pill won't set you back too badly.. But you can't use that as a crutch; no "Oh, it's just one pill, it won't set me back..". You've got to tell yourself (for your own sake) that yes, even just ONE pill will stunt your recovery. Did that one pill even do anything for your withdrawal? In my experiences in the same situation.. one or a few pills one time didn't do much at all. Definitely NOT worth taking and backtracking your recovery. Stay away from them..

You've got this! I promise. It seems impossible now but you can do it. You can so anything you set your mind to. Just think of a clean and sober future with your amazing children and family.

I, as well as the rest of BL, will help you in any way we can. We're always here.. You have an amazing support system.

Its not going to be easy.. but it can be done don't lose the hope!... just remember you can only quit if you really want to quieting for someone else or being forced to quit never works out i was a dope fiend for 9 plus yrs. i been clean off all opioids for 2.5 yrs now

Thank you for replying, I did get a full nights sleep last night and today I feel much better. I do still have crazy anxiety which is driving me nuts but other than that most of the symptoms are 99% gone. Maybe I am getting close to the end of the physical part. Do any of you know how long the anxiety will last? I have never in my life had it until now

I think you are probably nearing the end of your physical withdrawals, this being the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th day...and congrats on getting that far, as that is no small feat! I have struggled with IV dope addiction for 17 years (I'm 32) and must admit, I don't think I've gone longer than 12 hours with no dope, I got high on the way to enroll in the methadone clinic for chrissake lol...but I digress.
Staying clean & sober is going to take a lot of work, such as figuring out and getting to the root of the problems that drove you to self medicate with the pills. I've been (mostly) sober for beginning my 5th year now, and I can tell you, I still struggle with some issues on occasion (using dreams, urge to use, thinking about that pretty red trickle flowering....I digress yet again) I can say, for me at least, as time progresses the occurrence of these using ideations and tempting thoughts are fewer and farther and father in between, and I find it progressively easier to shrug it off so to speak, and change the thoughts to more productive ideas- but the occasional anxiety inducing craving (or is it anxiety induced? hmmm, thats something to ponder ;) ) still rears its ugly head, even with the help of MMT...

And I am sorry I can't tell you how long your anxiety will last, this is really highly subjective and different for everyone. I feel anxious every time I drive down the road that runs thru the dope spot, which is sometimes unavoidable, as it was just as recently as earlier today....best wishes and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Generally the worst of the acute withdrawal has peaked by day 4 - it won't get worse, after day 4 you will only feel better.

How do you experience anxiety OP?

Now that the storm is nearly clear you are going to have to do some real work in order to keep your addiction in remission. It is true. It never truly goes away completely. The work you put in will help you stay on the straight and narrow.