Mental Health Depression MEGA Thread - DepressionTalk + Over 100 Links of Info

younghopeful said:
and herbal remedies St. John's Wort and 5-htp.
You probably already know that St. John's Wort interacts with a lot of medicines, it is worth repeating. With herbs in general, St. John's Wort in particular, let your Doctor know what your taking if your getting any meds.

Hadn't heard that specifically, thanks.

But I'd heard that you should take too many things at the same time which mess with the serotonin levels, so I stopped with St John and 5-HTP when I started with Prozac. (The latter is new, so I'm still waiting for any results.)

Hi,
You might like to add this link to the depression links:
http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/

it helped me a couple years ago.

So did
http://emofree.com

and herbal remedies St. John's Wort and 5-htp.

Thanks for contributing, I will add the depression one for now and later on the St. Johns Wort and 5-htp one once I make a section devoted to herbal remedies or something along those lines.

You probably already know that St. John's Wort interacts with a lot of medicines, it is worth repeating. With herbs in general, St. John's Wort in particular, let your Doctor know what your taking if your getting any meds.

Thanks for making that clear to everyone, I'll be sure to add this to the main post once I add an herbal links section.

-dp

Thank you DP and sushii. I already have a GP so finding a doctor is not a problem for me. It doesn't make much sense why I find calling him to be such a hard thing to do. Then again, this always happens to me with social situations: I think of what to do and how to do it right, then I either fuck it up or do nothing at all. Then I feel stupid. Actually I feel stupid just confessing this but I'm hiding behind a computer screen so I don't care as much.

I've always done that though: waiting the last second to act on my problems. Maybe I always hope things will get better by themselves. But in this case I must accept the fact it won't.

Well, i can say this. I am depressed/pissed. I have been fighting a custody battle with my baby momma and she lives in freakin ohio. So have been having to learn laws in another state as long with civil law in my own. It has taken 11 and a half months just to make a REAL court order to MAKE her come to my state. And have not seen my lil girl in 9 fkn months. Very devestating at first but now i have a more clear head about the whole situation.

Sorry to hear what you are going through. I know it's tough. My ex-wife took my son when I filed for divorce (she did it out of spite, because I always had threatened to divorce her, but she never thought I had the balls to do it). The longest was 3 months without seeing my son, and I know how tough that was.

Finally, I hired a very high profile attorney, which cost me an arm and a leg and my left nut, but it worked. I finally got to start seeing him again (this all occurred about 9 years ago.

Then, what do you know, I ended up getting custody of my son years later and SHE ended up having to pay ME for child support.

Remember, man. What goes around comes around. Just put it in G-d's hands and he'll take care of you.

All the best,

Dragon

This is a very good thread.

I must have had mild depression and anxiety symptoms for years, but it became quite more severe about 10 months ago. I have a lot of anxiety, which worsen when I'm around other human beings, and I'm sure I have depression, though no doctors ever diagnosed me, since I have never even talked to anyone about these problems:|

I don't know why. I'm being stupid not to seek help. I'm probably afraid of something. Afraid of going through therapy or medications, afraid of what people might think, or afraid of talking, or even simply afraid of picking up the phone to arrange an appointment.

Anyway I guess I'll do something sometime about this. Maybe when I can't function at all, a point which I'm getting closer and closer to.

It';s totally normal to be afraid of the unknown.

I;ve suffered from a major anxiety disorder for years. I remember I had my first panic attack at 12. Scared the sh*t out of me. Then I was fine for several years, until I was 19 or so. I had another panic attack. At the time, we didn't have the internet like we do today (like being able to look up symptoms at your finger tips. I literally thought I was losing my mind. I thought I was going crazy. And being adopted, I didn;t know my family history, which always makes things that much more scary.

Finally, I saw a Dr at age 21 and he sat me down and explained to me what 'anxiety' was. He explained how common this was, which alone, made me feel SO much better. He put me on prozac, a low dose of xanax and trazodone to help me sleep. This was the start of a long road of trying many SSRI's and battling anxiety.

I used to have the fear of getting sick in public. I had to sit on the end of a booth while eating at a restaurant. I ALWAYS had to know where the bathroom was. I had the fear of throwing up in public. Has anyone else every experienced this?

Well, SSRI's have been a life saver for me. I will have to take them the rest of my life, and I am find with that.

Well, SSRI's have been a life saver for me. I will have to take them the rest of my life, and I am find with that.

I'm bipolar so SSRI's make me worse but I'm glad they work so well for you. You're one of the lucky ones. Are you still taking benzo's as well? I am on klonopin and have been for over 5 years now which I know I will be on the rest of my life.

-dp

[Feniks is a loon multi-edit]

I'll have to browse this thread if I regain some cognitive concentration ability in the coming weeks, as I'm breaking from the illicits for the (22nd?) time, and can already feel the juices of despair floating through my brain ..

I've dealt with depressive periods for literally half my life, and each successive visit to any medical establishment simply sets unprecedented lows in my trust for the field. Nothing but malpractice for myself and my family ....

I have a friend who swears prozac has changed his life, but I see such drugs as equally dangerous as meth/mdma, seeing as how they're doled out via pure guessessments from a 1-hour visit without any brainscans to assess actual neurochemical deficiencies.

Thank the stars I've never dealt with anxiety (except running out of Paxil @ age 14!), I don't know how some of ya'll manage.
Using cannabis as an anti-depressant has been my #1 coping mechanism, but it kills my personality + turns me into an incoherent, paranoid shell. I'm finally deciding its just a bit too negative as a long-term treatment option.

Tho once my system clears out and my quasi-manic depression sets in, I always second-guess my cyclical epiphanies on such matters.
@ least its summer up here!! My mind definately flies South with the geese during Winter. Gonna be a rough season, though, I just keep playing the same games with my sanity, deferring the inevitable meltdown :\

Last edited:
^^^ What do you take for your bipolar disorder anyway?

I take nortriptyline 100mgs a day as of right now. I may add something else next month since I've been getting manic lately (never has really happened before, only like a small handful of times ever).

[Feniks is a loon multi-edit]

I'll have to browse this thread if I regain some cognitive concentration ability in the coming weeks, as I'm breaking from the illicits for the (22nd?) time, and can already feel the juices of despair floating through my brain ..

I've dealt with depressive periods for literally half my life, and each successive visit to any medical establishment simply sets unprecedented lows in my trust for the field. Nothing but malpractice for myself and my family ....

I have a friend who swears prozac has changed his life, but I see such drugs as equally dangerous as meth/mdma, seeing as how they're doled out via pure guessessments from a 1-hour visit without any brainscans to assess actual neurochemical deficiencies.

Thank the stars I've never dealt with anxiety (except running out of Paxil @ age 14!), I don't know how some of ya'll manage.
Using cannabis as an anti-depressant has been my #1 coping mechanism, but it kills my personality + turns me into an incoherent, paranoid shell. I'm finally deciding its just a bit too negative as a long-term treatment option.

Tho once my system clears out and my quasi-manic depression sets in, I always second-guess my cyclical epiphanies on such matters.
@ least its summer up here!! My mind definately flies South with the geese during Winter. Gonna be a rough season, though, I just keep playing the same games with my sanity, deferring the inevitable meltdown :\

Yeah I understand your concern with medications, but they really do do wonders for the that they work for. I wish I was one of them, but I'm not. I've switched around medications for years and still have yet to find the perfect (or at least suitable) combo. And yeah smoking a lot of weed will dull you down, not as much as some of the anti-depressants but still it makes you mellow obviously and you space out (so it's a different kind of dullness).

-dp

^How are you doing Dp?
Feeling better?

Yeah I am. I just had a really eventful trip last night with 2c-i and 2c-c that made me realize the stem of a lot of my problems/anxieties and others etc... Integrating it will be hard but it is a must because these issues need to be stopped since they weigh me down everyday constantly. But yeah overall I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking. How about you ocean?

-dp

That's good. I just met a new girl as well. We've really hit it off well and it's exactly what I needed I'm so happy. I don't want to get my hopes up too fast though because I want to take this slow for now... well emotionally, not physically lol :) Anyway I feel really lucky, I've wanted a new girl for a couple months now (been broken up with my ex for around 4 months all together at this point) and it's come at the most perfect time, summer! Yay for me.

-dp

Can anyone talk to their experience w/Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) and if it worked for them? I've been prescribed this and curious about results people have had as it's pretty new...thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place, didn't see a specific thread for Pristiq.

I, too,
have just been prescribed Pristiq,
for anxiety rather than depression.

I haven't had any success with SSRI's in the past;
it's a SNRI,
yeah?

I'm presuming it's part of a plan to taper me off Xanax...
Prescribed 8mgs a day,
but on the average day I take 5mg.

Anyone know anything?

THANKS
UnS
:)

i had never heard of pristiq until just a few minutes ago when i saw commercial for it. i recently started taking taking tramadol for pain, which is an 'ssnri' as well as an opioid.

ops make me chatty normally, but this stuff had me rambling, almost uncomfortably the first few days. it helps alright for the pain+marijuana, i cant comment on any psychological effects except for the jabber jaw and energy. the energy it gave me/gives me took care of my chronic fatigue also, so far, not so much the past 2-3 days, and ive been taking it maybe 2 weeks. 200mgs

I was told about pristiq by my doctor a while ago, it's the new generation of effexor. It's supposed to have less side effects according to the manufacturers.

The side effects are quite severe with effexor, so it could be a good thing.

BUT, having said that, I honestly doubt that it would ever be able to be used as a taper for long term xanax use. If its working basically the same way as effexor, its does sweet fuck all for extreme cases of anxiety.

Cure the depression-> cure the anxiety, so the theory goes....

Well, reps from these drug companies provide sample packs, pens, notepads for the gp's, claim the virtues of meds, don't really have definitive proof prestiq could help in cases of GAD, then pocket a fistful when you get patients buying it in the hope of achieving release from anxiety.

MEH, its up to the individual to give it a go and see, but a week's worth of a sample of anything will hardly give the patient a clear idea if it helps, just withdrawals if it doesn't.

I'm fairly jaded these days with drug companies. Sure, no one wants to prescribe benzos long term anymore but it would be nice to invent a drug that is just as effective, but not addictive. It just does not exist yet.

:(

I'm fairly jaded these days with drug companies. Sure, no one wants to prescribe benzos long term anymore but it would be nice to invent a drug that is just as effective, but not addictive. It just does not exist yet.

I think we all wish there was something like that, that we invented. You never know, I always wanted to invent a non-addictive opiate... but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

-dp