• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Depressants of the Past

Hammilton

Bluelighter
I've meant to start this thread for a long time, because there have been a lot of threads on various old depressants, but they're all either in singles or doubles- and I don't think we've remotely run out of old depressants to discuss.

Of course, though, limiting yourself to discussion of the old drug isn't good, but discussions of LOGICAL variants of the old drugs should be in here too.

To start the discussion, I want to talk about a drug called propanidid, which was taken off the market because of allergic reactions, though today it is believe to have been due to a component of the product, not propanidid itself.

Propanidid-2D-skeletal.png

The structure reminds me dimethocaine, actually. Too short acting to have any da reuptake inhibiting effects, though. A strange symmetry, too. It's interesting that it has analgesic effects too. Most GABAergic depressants don't reduce pain, and many actually produce hyperalgesia, which makes this so interesting.

I know it has effects on the GABA-A receptor, but I don't know where it binds.

The Analgesic Action and Neuronal Mechanism of Propanidid Tatsushi Fujita, MD,PhD, Hideaki Ishikura, MD,PhD Yasuharu Kitani, MD British Journal of Anaesthesia, 1972, Vol. 44, No. 8 809-816 © 1972 The Board of Management and Trustees of the British Journal of Anaesthesia

Subanaesthetic doses of propanidid, thiopentone and ketamine were given to volunteers at 30 min intervals. Change in the pain threshold values were observed by means of the earlobe algesimeter. The pain threshold value sharply rose 30 sec after propanidid 1 mg/kg but returned to control values in 2 min. With ketamioe 0.1 mg/kg, the pain threshold rose in 2 min and the rise was maintained over 5 min. Thiopentone 0.5 mg/kg showed no significant change. Further, in order to clarify this analgesic effect, experiments were performed on both intact and cerveau isolé rabbits to observe the effects of propanidid on the sensory pathways of the olfactory and visual systems. Propanidid had less inhibitory effect on the monosynaptic than on the polysynaptic reflex thus differing from the effects of barbiturates which inhibit both mono- and polysynaptic reflexes. Study of the recruiting response on the cortex after stimulation of the centre-median nucleus indicated that propanidid transiently inhibits the thala-mocortical pathway. The neuronal mechanisms are evidence of the existence of an analgesic property of propanidid.

This is very interesting, but I don't know what to make of it. I wouldn't and still don't think that opioid receptors are very involved in the sedation produced by GABAergics, but apparently, at least in the transfer from consciousness to unconsciousness, for some, they are. I don't understand why drugs effecting the same receptor would have different downstream effects. I mean, they both cause the chloride channel to stay open longer or open more frequently, and there's no obvious split between those that cause it to open more often and those that cause it to stay open longer.

Any explanation?

Effect of Naloxone on the Loss of Consciousness Induced by IV Anaesthetic Agents in Man. Stella, L. Crescenti, A. Torri, G. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 1984, Vol. 56, No. 4 369-373 © 1984

Correspondence

The effect of a specific opioid antagonist, naloxone, was studied in two comparable groups of patients who received i.v. the dose of an anaesthetic agent required to produce loss of consciousness in 50% of subjects. The first group received naloxone 0.006 mg kg–1 5 min before induction of anaesthesia; the second group received a similar volume of saline solution. Thiopentone, Althesin, diazepam, ketamine and propanidid were studied. The differences in percentage of unconscious patients between the naloxone-treated group and the control group were statistically significant for diazepam, ketamine and propanidid. Naloxone did not modify the induction of anaesthesia with thiopentone or Althesin

I think the biggest goal with propanidid would be to produce a longer acting analogue. I believe it has a plasma halflife of .2 hours, or 12 minutes. That seems in line with it's ultra-short effect. Great for anaesthesia where you want the person to come out quickly, not so great for abuse. Depressant crack sounds interesting, but it's a bad idea.

I think at least a 30 minute half life would be required, but 60 minutes would probably be best. At least, imho, anyway. I like a depressant that hits rapidly and is over in 1.5 or 2 hours. A 60 minute half life should be good for that. It's hard to predict though.

Though not continuing on with what you've initially posited for your thread, the #1 "depressant of the past" that continually piques interest in this forum would have to be methaqualone.

Though not continuing on with what you've initially posited for your thread, the #1 "depressant of the past" that continually piques interest in this forum would have to be methaqualone.

And rightly so, methaqualone's fucking brilliant.

Another one to add: Ethchlorvynol (trade name Placidyl).

CLK0657C001.gif

Exact MOA unknown, suggested active at GABA-A.

Sulfonmethane (Sulfonal) is the most interesting in my opinion. The 'Sulfonal Habit' has got to be the most interesting dependancy syndrome of any depressant. It looks like Caffeinism in certain respects (continuing to take the drug results in temporary subjective benefits, followed by a worsening of the poisoning by the chemical). It's interesting that it seems to be completely abandoned by science, however it was seen fit to add it to the Controlled Substances Act as a CIII drug.

Why is it called sulfonmethane when there is no methane in the structure?

Just one of a million questions that will probably never be answered!

The compound was discovered by Eugen Baumann (1846-1896), and was formerly named diethylsulfondimethylmethan (german spelling).

Just one of a million questions that will probably never be answered!
999,999 questions left. Next one plz.

- Murphy

I heard Placidyl stinks like shit. I met a crackhead who was a former junkie (who the fuck makes that switch???) and he said he would shoot a form of the jellies (I am using there was a Placidyl gelcap).

I heard Placidyl stinks like shit. I met a crackhead who was a former junkie (who the fuck makes that switch???) and he said he would shoot a form of the jellies (I am using there was a Placidyl gelcap).

It's one of a number of old drugs that has a reputation I don't think it deserves. It sounds like an absolute shit downer.

Unlike Chlomethiazole, which sounds very euphoric (plus, who wouldn't want to try a drug that will melt through a plastic syringe if left unshot for too long?). And it killed Keith Moon ('I'm Keith Fucking Moon' being my favorite catchphrase).

Lot's of people quit Heroin and turn into Coke freaks and skidrow alcoholics. It's been that way for decades (crack probably made the transition easier).

It should be mentioned that it seems that clomethiazole binds to the barb site. Remember, Keith Moon died with only 6 open caps, the rest were undissolved.

Yeah but what was he doing swallowing 32 caps?

That's plain suicide. He must have wanted to die.

Perhaps this is why its got meth in the name.. its so easy to make with common ingredients it could be the "Meth" of depressants.. about time too.. I always envied that tweakers could cook up their DOC on a whim with over the counter drugs/chems..

"Sulfonal is prepared by condensing acetone with ethyl mercaptan in the presence of hydrochloric acid, the mercaptol (CH3)2C(SC2H5)2 formed being subsequently oxidized by potassium permanganate. It is also formed by the action of alcoholic potash and methyl iodide on ethylidene diethyl sulfine, CH3•CH(SO2C2H5)2 (which is formed by the oxidation of dithioacetal with potassium permanganate). It crystallizes in prisms melting at 125 C, which are practically insoluble in cold water, but dissolve in 15 parts of hot and also in alcohol and ether."

Perhaps this is why its got meth in the name.. its so easy to make with common ingredients it could be the "Meth" of depressants.. about time too.. I always envied that tweakers could cook up their DOC on a whim with over the counter drugs/chems..

"Sulfonal is prepared by condensing acetone with ethyl mercaptan in the presence of hydrochloric acid, the mercaptol (CH3)2C(SC2H5)2 formed being subsequently oxidized by potassium permanganate. It is also formed by the action of alcoholic potash and methyl iodide on ethylidene diethyl sulfine, CH3•CH(SO2C2H5)2 (which is formed by the oxidation of dithioacetal with potassium permanganate). It crystallizes in prisms melting at 125 C, which are practically insoluble in cold water, but dissolve in 15 parts of hot and also in alcohol and ether."

A number of other depressants are even simpler (Chlorobutanol, Chloral Hydrate).

Is Barbital (Barbitone, Veronal) still used in the West? The first Barbiturate (doesn't the myth go that Barbituric Acid got its name from the patron saint of artillery gunners, who were celebrating in a bar where the inventor was having a drink).

It sounds quite euphoric, the only hinderance it seems being the long, long duration of effects (I guess some may find that appealing). Personally I enjoyed Phenobarbital, it sounds like Barbital is similar only more pleasant.

I'm pretty sure that's not how compounds are named...

Don't forget Thalidomide of "thalidomide disaster" fame.8o

OH I thought they named it "thalidomide disaster" to throw us off. So it was thalidomide... 8)

Lanolidomide is currently being heavily studied in humans, and appears to have no such effects. Thalidomide itself is even available in the US, though with strong restrictions.

Yea I think they use thalidomide to treat multiple mylenoma and a few other conditions.

It's one of a number of old drugs that has a reputation I don't think it deserves. It sounds like an absolute shit downer.

My experiences with this drug personally were very good. They came in red gel caps that were 500 mg. The 750mg ones were never prescribed to me but those were made too. I would take between 2-3. On an empty stomach you would feel a warm sensation in the pit of your stomach and you would feel the high fast ( b/w 10-20 minutes). Euphoric but without the sick feeling alcohol gives you. Comming up I would feel a warm mildly pulsating swimmy sensation from the neck up that is hard to describe. Good sleeping pills, in fact, when I was kicking dope these were the only sleeping meds that would give me a few hours of sleep. Not temazepam, triazolam, or any other benzo, nor chloral hydrate, would ever get me to sleep. Even seemed to slightly lessen withdrawl instead of making me feel sicker like alcohol.

beclamide is one that has always interested me. there's apparently no self administration data either... Metabolized to 3-chloropropanoic acid, a GHB receptor ligand, and produces "giddiness" as a side effect. However, it also reduces striatial dopamine.

191px-Beclamide.svg.png

Is 3-chloropropanoic acid similar to GHB or GBL?

I mean just because its a GHB receptor ligand, doesn't mean it possesses the same pharmacological profile as its parent drug/s, does it?