• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Delirious dreams after stopping booze?

RC-Lover123

Bluelighter
Hi everyone,
in June 2022 I stopped a long standing opiate habit and haven't relapsed since. Having done that, I thought it would be great to modify my 20 year habit of boozing heavily as well. I drank daily and often heavily, every day for the last 20 years. Two beers and half a bottle of wine were the good days. Two beers, a bottle of wine and a good amount of gin/whisky were also often part of my routine. Always in the late afternoon/evening, rarely earlier.

I stopped drinking five days ago. It felt a bit odd to not drink anything but I only suffered brief periods of craving a beer or a nice glass of red wine. Otherwise, I felt completely fine not drinking. That said, the last five nights were crazy. I could easily fall asleep but it was a delirious type of sleep, slipping into wild and vivid dreams that just kept going on and on. I kept waking up only to then fall back into the same crazy dreams again. Some of the dreams were just odd or even funny, others were scary and dark.

Has anyone here had the same experience? Is that some kind of withdrawal? There is absolutely no other symptom of withdrawal, no tremor, no anxiety, nothing. But these last five nights were really crazy, I haven't dreamed like that before.

Hi everyone,
in June 2022 I stopped a long standing opiate habit and haven't relapsed since. Having done that, I thought it would be great to modify my 20 year habit of boozing heavily as well. I drank daily and often heavily, every day for the last 20 years. Two beers and half a bottle of wine were the good days. Two beers, a bottle of wine and a good amount of gin/whisky were also often part of my routine. Always in the late afternoon/evening, rarely earlier.

I stopped drinking five days ago. It felt a bit odd to not drink anything but I only suffered brief periods of craving a beer or a nice glass of red wine. Otherwise, I felt completely fine not drinking. That said, the last five nights were crazy. I could easily fall asleep but it was a delirious type of sleep, slipping into wild and vivid dreams that just kept going on and on. I kept waking up only to then fall back into the same crazy dreams again. Some of the dreams were just odd or even funny, others were scary and dark.

Has anyone here had the same experience? Is that some kind of withdrawal? There is absolutely no other symptom of withdrawal, no tremor, no anxiety, nothing. But these last five nights were really crazy, I haven't dreamed like that before.
Hey,
Well I've been a hardcore opiate addict for the past decade or so and been drinking heavily these past few years since I quit opis(the pandemic hit me hard psychologically aswell). Lately, I've been experiencing very lucid vivid dreams but I've always been sensitive to the oniric experience tbh. I have intense nightmares that feel super real, the other day I got stsbbed in my dream and could feel the pain and how I fell to the ground, started bleeding and died before I woke up covered in sweat.confused as fuck and felt super tired.
I think it must be some kind of mild wd symptoms plus I take tramadol and clonsz daily.
I already got used to it though but yrah man, you're not the only one.
Stay safe,
Cheers
nico xx

i think this is pretty standard. ethanol/gaba PAMS mess up REM sleep. so does cannabis. Any time i have come off any of those, the first few weeks as i even out back into normal REM sleep are like, daliesque silmarillion epics where I often have dreams that continue over several sessions of waking up and being confused lol.

i think this is pretty standard. ethanol/gaba PAMS mess up REM sleep. so does cannabis. Any time i have come off any of those, the first few weeks as i even out back into normal REM sleep are like, daliesque silmarillion epics where I often have dreams that continue over several sessions of waking up and being confused lol.

Ok, thanks! I have been addicted to benzos and GHB but I don't recall this effect. I couldn't sleep at all in benzo withdrawal, though, which explains the lack of vivid dreams. I totally agree regarding cannabis. Cannabis completely blocks dreaming for me.

The dreams are not really bad, fortunately, so the condition is not unpleasant.

Pretty normal. Gabaergics, especially alcohol and GHB, give me all sorts of sleep disturbances particularly in the several days after I quit using them. Hypnagogic hallucinations, sleep paralysis, and vivid dreams with frequent waking. Sometimes I will even dream while still awake which is interesting. I'll have vivid dreams even just being asleep for 30 minutes.

You've been suppressing sleep for many years and it's just your brain trying to readjust itself.