• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DEA defies senators’ appeal to reconsider ‘unprecedented’ kratom ban

avcpl

Bluelighter
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ppeal-to-reconsider-unprecedented-kratom-ban/
A bipartisan group of nine senators is calling on the Drug Enforcement Administration to delay its "unprecedented" decision to ban kratom, a plant that researchers say holds great potential for mitigating the effects of the opioid epidemic.

The DEA recently decided to place kratom into schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances Act, the most restrictive regulatory category, on a temporary, emergency basis "to avoid an imminent hazard to the public safety."

The Senate letter, spearheaded by Republican Orrin Hatch of Utah, says that "Congress granted emergency scheduling authority to the DEA based on the need for law enforcement interdiction of new and previously unknown illegal synthetic street drugs that result in injuries and death. The use of this emergency authority for a natural substance is unprecedented, so it is important to determine whether the circumstances here necessitate a jump to Schedule I."

"Given the long reported history of Kratom use," the letter continues, "coupled with the public’s sentiment that it is a safe alternative to prescription opioids, we believe using the regular review process would provide for a much-needed discussion among all stakeholders."

The DEA announced its plan to place kratom in Schedule 1 only one month ago, using an emergency authority that does not require it to solicit public feedback on the decision. Blowback from pain patients was swift and furious and appears to have caught the DEA off-guard.

People who take the plant have shared their stories on how kratom helped them overcome addiction to opiates or alcohol, or how its helped them to treat otherwise intractable pain. Researchers say that their work with the kratom plant could eventually lead to the development of non-addictive alternatives to powerful opiate painkillers, and that by placing kratom in Schedule 1 the government is effectively crippling their ability to carry out that research.

Over 140,000 people have signed a White House petition asking the Obama administration to reconsider the move.

The DEA cites 600+ poison control center calls involving kratom between 2010 and 2015 in its justification for banning the plant, and notes that 15 deaths were linked to the use of the plant between 2014 and 2016. In an interview with the Post, a DEA spokesman later clarified that all but one of those fatalities involved the use of other substances.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ppeal-to-reconsider-unprecedented-kratom-ban/
Earlier this week 51 U.S. representatives similarly called on the DEA and the White House to reconsider or at least delay the ban, which was slated to go into effect as early as today.

In an interview, DEA spokesman Russell Baer confirmed that the ban was not yet in place today. "We have not yet determined a date when we will publish that final order" putting the ban into effect, he said.

Because of the uncertainty surrounding the final date of the ban, many online businesses selling the plant have already shuttered or got rid of their supplies for fear of running afoul of the DEA's stringent schedule 1 rules.

"Given the extremely short timeframe for the implementation of the proposed DEA scheduling order, we urge you to take appropriate steps to delay the order to allow both for a public comment period and sufficient time for the DEA to outline its evidentiary standards to Congress regarding the justification for this proposed action," the letter from Hatch and colleagues concludes.

The DEA's Russell Baer said that the DEA would respond to the senators' and congressmen's concerns, but could not say whether the ban would go into force before that correspondence happens.

"It's not a matter of if. It's simply a matter of when, in terms of DEA publishing the final order to temporarily schedule kratom," Baer said. "Our administrator [Chuck Rosenberg] has determined that kratom represents an imminent hazard to public safety. So I have a sense that publishing our final order will be sooner as opposed to later."

Yet another example if the DEA totally fucking up.

My hats off to the Senators for making this initial stand and I hope they use their real power to get kratom back on the market.

We have to keep the pressure up. So far the DEA has delayed their move to make Kratom illegal to get more public input. Thanks to everyone who wrote or called their senators and signed petitions. We still have a chance to save this very useful opiate alternative.

Is this legit?!!!

I hope it is.

So Kratom is STILL LEGAL TO PURCHASE???!!

Not that I"m going to right now, i said I was taking a break before and I am still sticking to that for now, but i want to know the plant is still available, more for pain patients who REALLY need it than myself.

The DEA is EVIL.

I hope badly we can save Kratom from EVER becoming illegal.

If we were able to delay it then MAYBE we can still STOP IT altogether.

Yes, we REALLY need to keep the pressure up.

Anyone know how we can continue to do so???

The DEA better hope they get disbanded before the revolution. Otherwise their heads are going to literally line the streets of this country.

Or that the revolving lobby door still exists for them, cause these people are sub-human pariahs imo. On the same level with the makers of Fentanyl spending to keep cannabis illegal.

The DEA better hope they get disbanded before the revolution. Otherwise their heads are going to literally line the streets of this country.

Or that the revolving lobby door still exists for them, cause these people are sub-human pariahs imo. On the same level with the makers of Fentanyl spending to keep cannabis illegal.

You REALLY believe we can start a true REVOLUTION to stop the DEA's nearly unchecked power to schedule substances??

I REALLY hope you are right.

The article and some of the people over at Reddit are making me think that though we MIGHT not be successful THIS time (hopefully we are though) that certain members of the DEA may be "pacing back and forth" a bit over this issue and are genuinelly surprised at the backlash and support for Kratom and that people really ARE starting to line up against the DEA and say that we are truly sick and fucking tired of them thinking they can do whatever they want whenever they want.

Whether we stop them on the Kratom issue or not I hold out faith that the people WILL successfully oppose the DEA on SOME scheduling issue at SOME POINT in my lifetime...and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually do...though it may not be right now.

Instead of being overly optimistic over the Kratom issue, I've given up hope on that front and INSTEAD I'm holding out hope that we can oppose them succcessfully in ANY way even if it is just ONE issue in my lifetime.

These things all start with just ONE successful opposition after all, and once the precedent has been set there are ALWAYS more to follow.

FUCK THE DEA.

Their time will come.

All systems fail with time, and they can't keep doing this shit FOREVER.

The people have spoken are continuing to speak, and we WON'T be fucking silenced.

We'll oppose them successfully on at least ONE scheduling issue in our lifetime, and once we are successful once it will happen again...

Is this legit?!!!

I hope it is.

So Kratom is STILL LEGAL TO PURCHASE???!!

Not that I"m going to right now, i said I was taking a break before and I am still sticking to that for now, but i want to know the plant is still available, more for pain patients who REALLY need it than myself.

The DEA is EVIL.

I hope badly we can save Kratom from EVER becoming illegal.

If we were able to delay it then MAYBE we can still STOP IT altogether.

Yes, we REALLY need to keep the pressure up.

Anyone know how we can continue to do so???
https://www.searchlock.com/search?q=is+Kratom+still+legal?

You REALLY believe we can start a true REVOLUTION to stop the DEA's nearly unchecked power to schedule substances??

No, not just substances. I'm saying when the revolution or end-times or whatever collapse of civilization looks like, the DEA better hope they've been disbanded already or they better just stay out of the way. The same way some right-wingers feel about the BLM (Bureau of Land Management or Black Lives Matter, I feel like they dislike them equally...).

In Italy, after Mussolini fell, people put his head and the heads of his associates on poles and paraded them through towns.

Independently (within the current system), I feel like there's more room for DEA administrators (and agents) to act more like human beings. I've seen multiple speakers from the LEAP organization and I've never seen one that used to be with the DEA. I've never heard of a DEA agent becoming a whistleblower. etc etc

There's also a general principle at stake here. It's the legislatures job to decide what's legal and what's not, and the judiciaries to interpret the specific case by case intent for the legislature. The executive's job is enforcement. But increasingly and as has always been their tendency, the executive tries to steal power and be it's own judge and it's own lawmaker. The department and agencies do it the fucking president does it with misuses of executive orders and it needs to stop. The dea's power in this regard must be removed. Not that it wouldn't be better abolish them and the atf. Remove law enforcement functions from the secret service too and roll what remains into the fbi. We have too many federal policing agencies. Most countries get by with 1 while we gotta have 4 not including specialty agencies of specific limited federal jurisdiction.

The DEA is the most regressive and satanic organization that has ever existed. This is obviously also being pushed by "Big Pharma" because they can't patent a natural leaf. That is why there are a lot of kratom based drugs in phase 1, 2 and 3 trials right now! Drugs like Oliceridine are the real reason they want kratom banned. And the fact that kratom is being used by people that want pain relief without addiction. It is also getting people off of Suboxone (and methadone).. So that is 3 reasons that big pharma wants it illegal, they want people back on their addictive opioids and maintenance drugs like suboxone & methadone. Shame on you DEA for doing what pharma companies want and pushing this ban that Big Pharma wants so they can make more money and get more people back on their addictive and TRULY harmful drugs. They want to ban kratom but think its ok to give someone suboxone or methadone. Seriously wtf?!?!

Last edited:
i wouldn't entirely blame the DEA. i'm sure big pharma had a major role in this decision.

after all, america is a corporatocracy.

The DEA is the most regressive and satanic organization that has ever existed. They are a lot like the regressive leftist ideology that a every single Hillary supporter and brainwashed college student hold..

I think Trump is 10 billion times worse than Hilary.

Then you'd be wrong.

Or maybe YOU'D be wrong.

It's entirely up to opinion and what political stances you support, and to act like it isn't is retarded.

I think Hilary will make a pretty good president and that Trump is a disaster.

There is so much blind hatred for Hilary and so many conspiracy theories surrounding her which are completely false it's insane.

Even Paul Ryan won't support Trump anymore and most republicans don't support him.

I don't support either of them. I consider them both dangerous to democracy. However this really isn't the topic here.

I don't support either of them. I consider them both dangerous to democracy. However this really isn't the topic here.

I don't support either of them either, but I'll vote for Hillary because I have no desire to live in a fascist state.

It's like comparing a food you don't like with straight poison. Sure, you could eat cyanide because you don't like brussel sprouts, but you'd still be dead.

DEA's Responds with a Public Commentary Period

Do not celebrate yet! But this time tomorrow, there is potential talk that we will be receiving an official notice from the DEA informing us of a 30-60 day Public Commentary Period lasting anywhere from Nov. 1st to Dec. 1st 2016.

Here are 2 possible outcomes for tomorrow:

A) Extending the Date of Temporary Scheduling
If the DEA merely extends the effective date of the temporary scheduling in order to allow time to receive more "public" comments, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are required to consider those comments- we’re in the same position, but with a little more time.

B) Initiate the Regular Scheduling Process
Alternatively the DEA could initiate the formal rule making procedures of a “regular schedule" to permanently schedule Kratom, which would be great news.

Why's that?

Because, the DEA needs to use the 8 factor analysis rather than the 3 factor analysis used for the temporary ban, so they must establish a formal way to receive comments and are required to consider the comments. Agencies, including the DEA, often publish the comments they receive in the Federal Register.

The comments and the DEA’s consideration of the comments become part of the administrative record, which is not public, but it is used to challenge the agency in court by showing that their action was arbitrary and capricious given the information in the administrative record.

We cannot STRESS how HUGE this is for the Kratom community, the costly War On Drugs, and for our rights as American citizens. This type of pushback against the DEA is unprecedented.

Every one of you who put in the time, effort and money thus far in calling, writing, and donating, has made a difference so far. Thank you.

But guess what?

It's NOT over.

We've fought this hard to get this PRECISE OPPORTUNITY.

Now that we've gotten this far, let's CONTINUE to show the DEA just how organized, educated and passionate the Kratom community is until they realize that they in no way shape or form have the right to take away our medicine, and in many cases, our livelihoods.

We will be disclosing a specific list of CALL TO ACTION items VERY SOON, but as of right now we ask for your donations to prepare us for the coming months of blood, sweat and tears that it will take to show the DEA just how wrong they are.

DEA's Responds with a Public Commentary Period

Do not celebrate yet! But this time tomorrow, there is potential talk that we will be receiving an official notice from the DEA informing us of a 30-60 day Public Commentary Period lasting anywhere from Nov. 1st to Dec. 1st 2016.

Here are 2 possible outcomes for tomorrow:

A) Extending the Date of Temporary Scheduling
If the DEA merely extends the effective date of the temporary scheduling in order to allow time to receive more "public" comments, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are required to consider those comments- we’re in the same position, but with a little more time.

B) Initiate the Regular Scheduling Process
Alternatively the DEA could initiate the formal rule making procedures of a “regular schedule" to permanently schedule Kratom, which would be great news.

Why's that?

Because, the DEA needs to use the 8 factor analysis rather than the 3 factor analysis used for the temporary ban, so they must establish a formal way to receive comments and are required to consider the comments. Agencies, including the DEA, often publish the comments they receive in the Federal Register.

The comments and the DEA’s consideration of the comments become part of the administrative record, which is not public, but it is used to challenge the agency in court by showing that their action was arbitrary and capricious given the information in the administrative record.

We cannot STRESS how HUGE this is for the Kratom community, the costly War On Drugs, and for our rights as American citizens. This type of pushback against the DEA is unprecedented.

Every one of you who put in the time, effort and money thus far in calling, writing, and donating, has made a difference so far. Thank you.

But guess what?

It's NOT over.

We've fought this hard to get this PRECISE OPPORTUNITY.

Now that we've gotten this far, let's CONTINUE to show the DEA just how organized, educated and passionate the Kratom community is until they realize that they in no way shape or form have the right to take away our medicine, and in many cases, our livelihoods.

We will be disclosing a specific list of CALL TO ACTION items VERY SOON, but as of right now we ask for your donations to prepare us for the coming months of blood, sweat and tears that it will take to show the DEA just how wrong they are.

Great post. I called my congressmen and e-mailed senators when that Dear Colleague letter was going around and will now pick that phone back up and start calling again. Come on guys, we need to save this great leaf that has got millions of people clean from truly addictive and harmful drugs. This leaf saves lives not destroy them!

DEA withdraws intent to schedule Kratom! Will have Public Comment Period lasting until December 1st.

Dear valued customer,

The DEA has announced that they are withdrawing their intent to schedule Kratom as per announcement dated August 31, 2016. They are now asking for a comment period to last through December 1, 2016. These comments which are made up of public comments, scientific research, FDA comments will be used to determine how the agency will want to proceed. While the fight is not over, this is a big win and even caught us by surprise (withdrawing original intent)!! Stay tuned over the coming days for further analysis, discussion, and action items to help.

We are extremely proud of the Kratom community and want to say thank you. Keep up the fight.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2016-24659.pdf

PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES. THIS IS OUR ONE BIG OPPORTUNITY