• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

DANCE STYLE GUIDES (LIQUID, BREAK, ETC)

if any of you melbourne liquid kids would like to have a share some time id love to learn. i dont really dance but im a pretty decent contact juggler and id be happy to trade a lesson or two. id really love to learn liquid because i think it would mix awesomely with my contact. two beautiful flowing styles together...

melbshuff7io.gif

pffffffffft... the Melbourne Shuffle is just a modified version of michael flatley's "Riverdance"

Why have you all forgotten the Melbourne Shuffle - http://www.melbourneshuffler.com THE BEST DANCE EVER - Can You Do It?

Mwhahahaha

EDIT: Woops.. seems i didn't read the 2nd page on this thread...

NOTE TO SYDNEY WANNABE SHUFFLERS - Keep on Stompin mate... THE SHUFFLE BELONGS TO US... Or at least come to melbourne and learn! Seriously, shuffling isn't that difficult once you co-ordinate yourself! theres plenty of websites with detailed instruction videos on how to shuffle

Tha Shuffle is one style I still suck at, I'm coming to Melb to learn. Some of the most stylish dancers I've ever seen have come outta da party scene there.

toenibbler glowsticking dot com :)

LiquidMethod, contact rules

So endlesseulogy, I’m a shuffler :grin: wot’s your dance?

I’ll think you will find the shuffle is African, not Irish.

From Tap Dance's Irish Roots

That dance challenge between Irish and black dancers in 'Riverdance' isn't something invented to woo American audiences. The links between Irish and tap dancing run deep in the immigrant tradition of 19th century America. ……..

the art of the melbourne shuffle or any dance for that matter is to find your own groove and enjoy :cool:

I dont have a fucking dance... dancing is not about style.. dancing is about moving your body to music in your own unique way.

I am not a robot, i repeat, i am not a robot..

endlesseulogy

dance is about rhythm. learning to use your feet and body does not make u a robot, make u a robot, make u a robot

Even if the Shuffle *was* a modification of Riverdance, what's wrong with that? Riverdance is fucking ill.
I much prefer the shuffle, for obvious reasons, but I like the freedom with it (u can move ur hands more), it's done to electronic music, and the illusion it gives off is just plain dope.

There's a funk style called Floating, this mixed with a shuffle goes off, imo. The illusion makes u look like ur floating across the floor. You use your arms to distract people, and they don't notice ur feet floating, it's magic %)
Floating is very close to Gliding. Everyone knows what gliding is, MJ's "moonwalk" is actually called a backglide.

Oh, and "dancing is not about style?" That's just silly. Even when people Bot (i.e. dance like a robot), their own personal style shines through. Style does not always mean a specific way of moving your body to the music (e.g. ballet, swing, bboyin'), style is your personal character shining through when you move. Everyone has this, and repressing it just makes your dancing look stale. Not to mention you lose the feeling of letting urself truly go, the reason u should be doing it in the first place.

Last edited:
Im not saying dance isnt about rythem.. im saying it shouldnt be stylised.. it should be random movement

That's like saying, when u interact with others, you shouldn't have style, u should just be random. I'm proud to have style, and I respect any other whose style I can feel. Even if I don't dig the way they do things, if they're doing it for real, respect.

A lot of people see these dances and they think it's all choreographed. Like some raver has been practicing the same moves over & over in their room and they just put them out in public. Sometimes this is true, and it's the wrong way to go about things.

To learn a style of dance (which is an art), you learn the foundation (the basic moves), then you have a choice. You may follow the trend of everyone else, adhering to strict rules, or you can take what you've learnt and just make stuff up/bend the rules/do something different. That's what I call being random. If you feel the music, do it to the beat, and you can still make your body do something amazing, it's the greatest feeling in the world and I wish everyone could experience it.

endlesseulogy, perhaps the following bit from melboruneshuffler will clarify things for you, and "the others", that cant’ dance 8) yet have no trouble dissin shufflers all over the place.

“Beginning in the late 80’s in Melbourne’s underground party scene, a revolutionary freestyle dance began to grow and has now developed into a most unique and robust dance style. Initially grown from the roots of acid Techno/house music along with back stepping and psychedelic arm movements.

The Melbourne Shuffle has no set steps but encourages individuality and imagination, incorporating dance moves from numerous styles such as miming, popping & locking, liquid and breaking.

But the basis of the Melbourne Shuffle has traditionally been the footwork either performed sliding left to right, on the spot or in a triangular direction, but is evolving everyday. The name Melbourne Shuffle has been derived from overseas visitors and the media trying to describe this phenomenon The Melbourne dancers don’t dance for competition or to show off but for themselves, for fun and self-expression. Learning by watching other dancers and incorporating variations into their own style they create an individual style representing their own personality.”

U can check out the downloads at clept.net or xes.cs to learn sum basic shuffle steps.

wot, u wan’t to learn running man now ? ;)

cheers :)

LOL! Sometimes i wonder why i bother.. The majority of people on bluelight always fail to get my point. Im not only talking about The Melbourne Shuffle here so dont get some damn defensive. Bascially, what im saying is that dancing shouldnt be a competition. People shouldnt be competing with style, speed and acuracy. Dancing is something that trancends all that bullshit...Little quotes from websites may say the opposite, but i know loads of people who take this shit extreamly seriously. Now do you see what im getting at?

8)

Last edited:
Sure, I think I understand what you’re getting at when u say “that dancing shouldn’t be a competition”. Like those plastic dancers on the tv dance shows that pounce around like they have a stick up their arse. Unfortunately, it’s seems to be a human failing that we take the enjoyment out things by getting extremely seriously.

If I appear defensive, then perhaps I misunderstood your earlier posts (esp. animated melb shuffle # 1) :| and you are really a closet shuffler, hah. Dunno, all I was trying to suggest, was that learning a few dance steps might increase your enjoyment for dance.

cheers :)

Im not a closet shuffler hehe..i goto alot of psytrance parties where you just dance in however way you want, with the music.. nobody looks and judges your dancing and even though it is random and all over the place, order tends to come out of the confusion and it just looks awesome....thats how it should be with trance music... just moving with the music enjoying drugs and people.. not worrying about pulling off the best hat trick :)

Well, that would be the “bush doof push” then ;)

I agree dance however u like, so you will understand why I get umm, defensive with people dissin anyone’s dance style, including the shuffle.

This is not a good example, but I was really pissed at earthcore when I heard (spoken loudly) people making fun of someones dance. As Mark Twain said “Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening.”

As u say, perhaps order does come out confusion. Because you can learn steps and you learn steps and you learn steps, and then one day, you j learn to dance, and it is so different.

have fun :)

yup. what's the point with dissing people's love of a certain style? If you *think* that dancing should be done how you want it, then SHUT UP & DANCE.
If you want to learn about a certain style, then please ask any of us and we will point you in the right direction.

If you're out, and all of a sudden a circle forms around you, and you have the chance to witness the sickest, illest, tightest dancers busting moves.....then go away and dance by yourself. What's the point of a club/rave? People coming together to enjoy the music. We look at each other, we interact. Why not do that with dancing?