• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Damage from injecting oral methadone

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
Years ago I was stupid enough to do an IM injection of methadose, an oral methadone solution. I was wondering, could this have caused nerve damage at all? I suffer from peripheral neuropathy and the doctors don't know what's causing it - I suspect the oral methadone could be the root cause of it. Do you think this is possible?

Last edited:
No one here can tell you. If you really think it is the reason for this bring it up with your doctor. Did the development of the issues start after that injection? What makes you think it's that and not something else such as a back issue. Again though no one here is medically qualified not can anyone give you medical advice with such little info.

I think you've misunderstood me. I just wanted to find out if it's possible rather than to find out whether it was the cause or not.

Why did I do it? I honestly can't remember but it was stupid whatever the reason was.

It's possible, but none of us have the education to say and even if we do we don't have access to your body to diagnose. That's why you should discuss it with your doctor. It sounds like you already have labels so bringing something up from years ago before you stabilized in treatment shouldn't get you more labels. Don't take my word on that though as I don't want to ten you to do something that gets you in trouble as if it wouldn't.

Artificial Emotion, I'm really sorry that you're having to deal with the nerve pain. I also deal with nerve pain involving my Trigeminal Nerve, as a result of multiple surgeries. It's shitty, but I've found mine to be fairly manageable with drugs like Gabapentinoids.

The issue man, that you know as well as I do is that we can't diagnose you or tell you definitively what is going on. I feel like I can be of some fairly limited help in providing you with my anecdotal experience with Methadone injection. I too have made the EXTREMELY IRRESPONSIBLE decision to inject some of my take-home dosages. I never went intramuscular, but I did go intravenously maybe half a dozen times. Mind you, this is not the nice, clear Methadone solution that some get. Mine was the fairly viscous, sugary, cherry flavored liquid that just screams, "you are a fucking idiot for injecting me", but, alas, the urge can be pretty strong, as you and I have demonstrated.

I've always had fairly decent veins. I'm thin and my peripheral veins are easily visible and accessible. I've always tried to maintain proper technique; fresh equipment every time, rotating injection sites, sterile water, all that jazz. I had never blown a vein, I think because I as fairly diligent about rotating, but after injecting that solution into my Cubital Fossa a couple of times, the vein receded and I could no longer access it. The next day, I found that it was quite hardened.

Luckily, the vein came back to me. I didn't inject Methadone solution again and counted my blessings that nothing went terribly wrong. When we mistreat our bodies, it matters. Methadone itself is considered to be fairly caustic, but combined with all of the fillers and the sugar and everything else, it's gotta be just awful to inject anywhere in your body. I'm not sure if the injection is what is causing your pain, but at this point, I feel like it's more important to just treat the pain than to worry about what caused it. Again, I'm sorry that you have to go through this man.

It's unlikely methadone caused you nerve damage regardless of ROA, and I'd imagine it's more likely to via injecting oral syrup than just taking it as prescribed. But methadone isn't known for causing nerve damage in any form.

As was said, no one here and answer your question. I'd suggest exploring your nerve issues with your medical professionals.