• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Daily Mail - 'I could get you anything': Brad Pitt blasts the U.S. war on drugs....

edgarshade

Bluelighter
'I could get you anything': Brad Pitt blasts the U.S. war on drugs as an 'incredible failure'

By Celeste Morgan
PUBLISHED: 01:45, 14 October 2012

With reader comments

He's made no secret of his drug use, or his controversial belief that drugs should be legalised. And now Brad Pitt has slammed the U.S. government's 'war on drugs', calling it an 'incredible failure'. In an interview to promote his new documentary, The House I Live In, Brad also claimed that he was once so involved in the drug scene that he could have procured any drug in any state.

More...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...claims-24-hour-access-drugs-home-country.html

The timing is clearly designed to benefit him personally, but "endorsements" from such stars help a lot with opening (or changing) people's minds.
Just another part of the huge wave we are riding.
Things will look very different in a decade.
The next generation won't be able to imagine what it must have been like in our world today, with the Drug War.

That's a very positive outlook. I hope you're right but I can't see it myself.

So this guy could find Bromo-Dragonfly, proescaline and Ganesha in any state? I find that hard to believe

It's brad pitt. He can just find a chemist... problem solved. He has fame and money. I wouldn't doubt he could get anything. Maybe 48 hours. None of the less he could get it

Can he find me some Quaaludes?

I wouldn't mind some opium as well. I've neglected my pipe.

Brad Pitt On Gay Marriage: Equality 'Defines Us'

But the actor finds it 'curious' that marriage equality and marijuana legalization are always linked in the media.

If there's one important thing to like about Brad Pitt — and there are many likable traits to choose from — it's the fact that the celebrated actor uses his celebrity power to do good things for people and the world.

When MTV News caught up with Pitt recently during the press day for "Killing Them Softly," his upcoming crime-thriller-with-a-message, we asked for his thoughts on the socially progressive results in the recent election on the issues of legalizing gay marriage — a cause Pitt publicly supports — and marijuana in some states.

"Equality, absolutely, that's what defines us. It's what makes us great," Pitt said when asked about what he thinks about Maine, Maryland and Washington legalizing gay marriage. "If it doesn't sit well with your religion, let your God sort it out in the end, but that's us. We're equal."

One thing that has Pitt scratching his head, however, is the fact that gay marriage and the legalization of marijuana are being linked together in the media.

"I don't understand that," he said, adding that the two issues should be treated with equal but separate importance and media coverage. "I do believe that we should be responsible for our own choices in talking about the drug laws, and that the drug war is an ultimate failure and that the billions and billions of dollars that we've committed to it, there's got to be a better way. I don't believe in incarceration over education — don't get me started. But there's real damage to drugs; that is not the same as with gay marriage. Since the last round [of elections], they've been linked in every article. I find that curious."

And while the actor/philanthropist has no problem continuing to talk about and bring public awareness to the issues, he's dreading the time when he has to have the "Say No to Drugs" conversation with his children.

"I think there's an age of understanding and there's a reason why there are no old drug addicts: It either kills you or you get out," he said. "I'm going to leave it at that point right there."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1697944/brad-pitt-gay-marriage-marijuana-legalization.jhtml

I remember when Brad Pitt was portrayed by the MSM as anti Cannabis due to his own personal negative experiences with Cannabis abuse. I am glad to know the actor is committed to sensible government policy. Hopefully before we all die America can end the largest gulag ever constructed in the planet, the War on Drugs Prison Industrial Complex. The actor is astute to underline the quixiotic equivolency of Homosexual Marriage as somehow as physically devestating to the American body as the improper drug war.

Pitt commends Obama's marijuana stance

BRAD Pitt and several colleagues are praising US President Barack Obama's current stance on drugs.

Last Friday, 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot dead 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

The massacre occurred barely a month after voters in two US states - Washington and Colorado - legalised marijuana in November's elections.

In light of the shooting, Obama recently said that prosecuting pot users is "not a top priority".

Pitt, Russell Simmons, Danny Glover and John Legend all serve as executive producers on The House I Live In, a documentary highlighting the human rights injustices resultant of America's anti-drug war.

They are all happy that The White House has focused its attention on other matters.

"President Obama should be commended for expressing the will of the people in Colorado and Washington," the producers say in a joint statement to ET Online.

"Our jails are overburdened with nonviolent drug users in this country, too often serving harsher sentences than violent criminals. This defies all common and economic sense.

"The President's statement reflects a saner and more sensible drug policy, and a step away from the decades long failed war on drugs."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...marijuana-stance/story-e6frea7u-1226541417722

"The President's statement reflects a saner and more sensible drug policy, and a step away from the decades long failed war on drugs."

To read that, coming from a well known celebrity - I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but it truly feels good. Feels good that it finally seems that almost everyone is stepping up - regardless of the potential career (etc.) consequences - and they are beginning to echo what we've been saying for far too long. They are finally joining in and repeating that enough is enough. And it's great to witness that it appears the taboo is slowly but surely being broken. The propaganda/stigma walls are coming down - it's about bloody time.

Pitt commends Obama's marijuana stance

BRAD Pitt and several colleagues are praising US President Barack Obama's current stance on drugs.

Last Friday, 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot dead 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

The massacre occurred barely a month after voters in two US states - Washington and Colorado - legalised marijuana in November's elections.

In light of the shooting, Obama recently said that prosecuting pot users is "not a top priority".

Pitt, Russell Simmons, Danny Glover and John Legend all serve as executive producers on The House I Live In, a documentary highlighting the human rights injustices resultant of America's anti-drug war.

They are all happy that The White House has focused its attention on other matters.

"President Obama should be commended for expressing the will of the people in Colorado and Washington," the producers say in a joint statement to ET Online.

"Our jails are overburdened with nonviolent drug users in this country, too often serving harsher sentences than violent criminals. This defies all common and economic sense.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...marijuana-stance/story-e6frea7u-1226541417722

I don't understand why they have mentioned the massacre, it isn't relevant at all.

THey are saying that in light of the massacre, that prosecuting cannibus users is not a top priority. That things like the massacre are much more important. ..

THey are saying that in light of the massacre, that prosecuting cannibus users is not a top priority. That things like the massacre are much more important. ..

More specifically, they're saying Obama said that.

I have to ask, when and where did he say that? That's actually a pretty substantial statement. One of the reasons often given for schools in the US being defenseless is, we don't have the money to put a cop/cops at every school. But, we certainly have the money to saturate every American city with paramilitary narcotics enforcement units. And we have the money to arrest something like a quarter of our population for marijuana possession.

Once local governments are forced to tie public safety spending to actual public safety, things may really change here.

23536: "More specifically, they're saying Obama said that.

I have to ask, when and where did he say that? That's actually a pretty substantial statement. One of the reasons often given for schools in the US being defenseless is, we don't have the money to put a cop/cops at every school. But, we certainly have the money to saturate every American city with paramilitary narcotics enforcement units. And we have the money to arrest something like a quarter of our population for marijuana possession.

"Once local governments are forced to tie public safety spending to actual public safety, things may really change here."

I am not very good with putting pen too paper and showing the world my thoughts. I have a hard time too find the correct words, and to properly convey the message that I am trying to get across.

What you wrote, did exactly, what I was trying too do. You pin pointed my feelings with laser accuracy. Thank you VERY much for that. I wish I had the awesome spelling and grammar that you have. If my message sounded like I in any way, shape, or form support this absolutely ridiculous "Militarization" of our local, county, state, and other police forces I do apologize, as that was exactly my opposite intent. I think it is HORRIBLE what law enforcement has turned in to. It is nothing more than illegal, hired thugs to be handed out too corrupt political figures that use them too do their physical bidding.

Words cannot convey my immeasurable disgust with the local law enforcement issues in & around my community. It's like a hugely overpaid, underworked, grossly over equipt paramilitary unit that has had nothing to do in a few decades. They obviously do things too try to get the accused to react naturally and pull them off of them, or defend themselves, then after a dozen of them piss pound the accused from head too toe, they want too be featured in local newspapers, and awarded over and over again for their cowardice brutality.

Last edited: