Rate this movie!

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr. Hardbeatz

Bluelighter
I don't know if y'all have seen this. It's an older, low budget, sci-fi film, but I really really enjoyed it. If you like the old twilight zone episodes, you will love Cube. Let me know what you think

cube is a really good flick- but the sci-fi channel sequel cube 2 is absolute trash...

Yeah, great flick, because it really does a lot with very little. The whole philosophical aspect of it was also very interesting, I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it, but basically the movie examines a lot of different characteristics of human nature and modern society and comes to a rather startling conclusion.

--- G.

I LOVED it. I wasn't really all that happy with the ending, but I don't think I can really go into the reasons here without all sorts of spoilers.

However, I was a bit of a Star Trek geek at the time this movie came out and so when I found out the actress playing Ezra Dax in DS9 was in it, I had to see it. I was way impressed, a lot more than I thought I would be.

This is a very stylish, intelligent and suspenseful film, and I advise anyone who hasn't seen it to give it a looksee.

it's such a great film - raz is right, one of its strong points is just how intelligent it is. i haven't seen it for sometime, so i'm a bit rusty on the details, but like ml also said, what they did with limited resources is just fantastic.

imo, atmosphere is probably one of *the* most important aspects of a scary movie (particularly a scary sci-fi movie, think about how important it was to, say, the alien series; event horizon etc.), and this film nails it. one of my personal favourites :)

Loved it... the ending was like being stabbed in the eye with a knitting needle however.

The Wren (?) was great.

It was one of those movies I got out on a whim, which normally results in me watching a washed up Australian actress badly act scared in front of a poorly animated CGI giant crocodile.

So this movie was a welcome surprise :)

good movie...
some of the death scenes were great...and gruesome...

Cube 2 didn't quite live up to it's predecessor, and the ending (to the first) was cheesy. Definitely worth a watch to anyone who hasn't seen it.

The cube was great, I loved it. Everything about it.

brothermarcus said:
cube is a really good flick- but the sci-fi channel sequel cube 2 is absolute trash...

Cube 2, Hypercube had bad acting, but I really did love the concepts behind the movie. I would definately recommend watching it more than one time. Sure the special effects aren't great and the acting is kindof hard to stomach but overall I did like it.

sho

Yes, I have to say the atmosphere of cube really set it right. It was so misserable and seemed so hopeless for them. I loveded it!

I think this film is cool because set wise they had 1 cube built for them, a load of different coloured strip lights and a warehosue.

Now that's cool.

I didn't get what the ending was trying to say though, but I did see it a long time ago, and only saw it once.

My first time through films, I'm there for the ride - not the analysis. I enjoyed the ride on this one. What can you do with a low budget and mostly no-name actors? From my engineering background, I loved the puzzle aspect of the environment and the problems solving they dealt with.

Second time through, I start appreciating the character dynamics, the sub-plots, the inferred statements. Again, an enjoyable way to spend the time.

The several other times afterward...well, I'm a sucker for B movies :)

Jesus. I can't believe that this thread has gone on this long and not a single person has had a bad word to say about Cube. Honestly, I think my head is going to explode. Some of the greatest minds on Bluelight saying that the psychology of Cube was brilliant, let alone entertaining.

This movie was one bad cliche after another, with piss poor character development. It had no basis in reality to speak of. The so-called "human nature" schtick MAY have been cutting edge stuff on The Twilight Zone fifty years ago, but it doesn't fly today. How many more times can we be subjected to the tired old "good-guy with the heart of gold turns psychotic in the face of adversity" bullshit?

I HATE it when a screenwriter has a really good basis for what could be a really great movie, but fails to put any real effort into it after those first few ideas.

It's insulting, really. All plot, no thought.

Adios,
Steve

brothermarcus said:

I thought the sequel was amazing too.. until the end.. the ending fucken ruined it..

Lingo said:
JHow many more times can we be subjected to the tired old "good-guy with the heart of gold turns psychotic in the face of adversity" bullshit?

Eh, I dunno, but it sure wasn't done in this moviem dude. Sure you're talking about the same one? ;)

I don't remember any of the characters being all that likable, in fact about the only one I had even the slightest sympathy for was the retarded kid - and even he was annoying. Ezra Dax shone through as a prissy elitist bitch that only wanted to use the retarded kid to get out but was quite happy to leave him behind. The cop was an authority freak from the beginning - totally naive as to the workings of the world, yet very oppinionated and sure of himself - a real class A asshole, imho. The engineer is obviously a pathetic puppet, and the shrill older lady was an unbalanced conspiracy nut. Then we have the criminal guy and the man who was cut up into a thousand easily managable pieces in the beginning, I think that does it for the cast list...

Who exactly was the good guy with the heart of gold from the outset, here? =D

--- G.

it's definitely worth watching.. though i don't think it lives up to quite the hype that real cube afficionado's bestow upon it. i did like the fact that all the character's were flawed. but none of them are actually completely evil. they do function as archetypes of a sort, but there's a lot of ambiguity as well. though the cube is a sort of prison, we never really know what the characters' crimes were, which makes it more compelling..

all in all, a decent, if not perfect, effort produced stylishly on a low budget.. and it's canadian too.. go canada..

I haven't seen it since it was released waaaay back when, but when I saw it I really enjoyed it as one of those movies that 'made you think.' It is definitely worth renting if not buying as you'll want to watch it more than once.

CB :)

At the risk of moving into spoiler territory, I think the point was that none of them had really committed any obvious "crimes" - although none of them was innocent either. I saw it as partly a metaphor for the prison system, as Foucault described in "Discipline and Punish" - that the prison itself and the society that built it IS THE WHOLE POINT - not the inmates subjected to the punishment!

The reason they were there is, as the engineer put it (roughly), "We'd built it, it had no useful purpose, but we have to use it don't we? What's the point if we don't put people inside?"

Basically, Foucault and many others have contended that the purpose of punishment is to appease, socialize and control those on the OUTSIDE of the prison - not on the inside. The ones on the inside are an unfortunate price to be paid for social cohesion - their crimes are irrelevant and in most cases the inmates do not fall into clear categories of "good" or "evil".

--- G.

Great movie.

I just saw the sequal Cube 2: Hypercube. I don't regret watching it, but it was a let-down, especially the ending.

Let me say this. Cube is a truly great sci-fi film, David Cronenberg even agrees, so hah. But, the sequel sucks , so much I didn't even bother seeing the 3rd one. Cube was a one joke wonder, but so what? It was still entertaining and very disturbing, although completely ridiculous in premise, and I don't buy the premise, that something like that would be created to that massive a scale, either way though, great movie. it was rough around the edges though, a little too low budget, and some of the actors were really terrible, so my thoughts on Cube, a 3 star movie, and I really enjoyed it.