• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Counselling Jobs

Rated E

Bluelighter
I have a 4 year Psychology degree. I want to study a clinical masters. I applied to a few uni's at the end of last year but was not successful.

I have no experience working in counselling. So I'm considering getting some experience to increase my chances next year, either through some kind of counselling position or volunteer work.

I'm looking for suggestions as to where to find such work, and what kind of work will look impressive...

There are aprenticheships for councelling / social work. I myself tried to apply for a youth work one but the bar is pretty high, although it sounds like you have it going pretty well. As your one bl, how about an agency that offeres one to one support for drug help? Theres at least 5 or 6 in my local area and they take on volunteers all the time, everyone seems to be really friendly and casual about it. Most are drug users themselves, you will meet some interesting people if its a cool harm reduction agency.

It's "counseling" just so you both know ;) and OTGee's recommendation sounds like the best suggestion. Also may want to consider contacting local schools and offering volunteer or internship for counseling students. Any volunteer work especially with children always looks good on a resume.

Hi, not sure what it's like where you are but in the UK it's hard to find a counselling job, I'm a qualified Gestalt Therapist and what i did was to work for a charity to get the experience that i needed, and i still work for the same charity and have done for over 10 years now, it's a great profession, take care and good luck.