• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Could This Have Been The Virus?

LandsUnknown

Bluelighter
I'll give a timeline of what happened-

Mid-March: no recorded cases in my area yet. Start being careful but no mask, because not recommended yet. Health weather app shows around double the rate of flu-like illness.

Mar. 24- first case recorded in my county. They're only testing people who are hospitalized at the time though, and it's very limited. Stay at home order shortly after (unenforced, not a lockdown)

April 1st- Probably a couple dozen cases or so recorded in a county of 100k people. Still just testing hospitalized patients. My mom (67) starts to have a bit of a sore throat with a singular mouth sore, feels mildly ill and slightly tired. Has chills but no fever.

Early April- My mom takes an antibiotic in case it's strep, and they have no effect at all. She says that she still feels tired for a while, and I wake up at like 3 in the morning feeling a bit feverish. I go back to bed, wake up fine. So, I kind of forget about it. Then, it comes back and I get a bit of a sore throat myself a few days later. My mom still has the same stuff as before on and off.

Mid to late April: My mom has a very bad headache or more accurately, says her eyes hurt bad, feels tired, and has me get an ice pack for her eyes. Never asked that before or since.

I start having occasional uncontrollable coughing spells, which I don't really connect to any of this. I largely feel fine overall, but I do have a few more incidents of feeling mildly feverish in the evening (before I lay down for bed) and in the night. Just a few times though.

Then, I have a couple of BAD coughing spells where I would cough uncontrollably to the point of getting out of breath. One incident of this happened when I was driving home, and I actually started to feel faint. Like I could pass out.

Fortunately, this passed, but I did have another incident like this again. My inhaler did largely take care of this issue, when I refilled it. However, I had to use it unusually often (e.g. like multiple times a day), and on one occasion, I had another extremely bad coughing spell for probably an hour or close to it despite using it.

End of April- I wake up in the night with a slight itch, which I don't think much of. However, very rapidly over a mere few minutes, MASSIVE welts start appearing where I have this itch. Like hives but way bigger than any that I had before.

May and June- Nothing really, except on one night early in May I get the feverish feeling in the evening. Even wake up in the night randomly shivering once. However, the strange welts last for like two weeks, which is weird. Though, they don't itch and didn't after the night I first notice them. However, what's even weirder is what's left behind after they "go away". Never saw anything like this.

There are these strange, lacy bruises of little veins just spidery looking where the weird "hives" used to be. Then, these lacy bruises lasted for like two weeks. The rash came back once more, following the same pattern. After this, I had no more issues with any of this stuff.

I’ve read a few bits to say that covid can cause an MCAS type of reaction so I’m assuming it’s what happens in your case.

Its hard to say for definite obviously but given how contagious covid is and how it usually presents as mild then id hazard a guess you had it.

I’ve read a few bits to say that covid can cause an MCAS type of reaction so I’m assuming it’s what happens in your case.

Its hard to say for definite obviously but given how contagious covid is and how it usually presents as mild then id hazard a guess you had it.
If I did already have it, would an antibody test show it at this point? Or would it be too late for that (e.g. was around a year ago)?

Unlikely, there could be trace but I doubt any test would pick that up. From what I’ve read, in my own opinion.