• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Could Quetiapine (Seroquel) really cause this

markanders7

Bluelighter
First,\\ an apology for the typo's and bad grammer, I explain further down about my tremors,

I am taking 1200mg of Quetiapine per day (recently; I was on 900mg before).

I have the following meds which could be part of the problem:

Trazodone 200mg
Sertraline 150mg
Tramadol 400mg
Keppra 1000mg
Metaclopramide 60mg
Cyclizine 60mg

The issues Im having severe symotoms are
1.nausea
2) Getting very week and lightheaded upon standing up
3) Anorgasmia
4) Tics/ jumpy whole body but especially the hands and legs (it is very hard to type cause of my shaking fingers )
5) Virtigo
6) feeling very spaced out, My parents say I looks the same as when I was nodding from an opioid/benzo combination.
7) short-term memory is horrendous. My thoughts jump from topic to another and try as I may, it's just gone)
8) Very poor word recall.
9) I'm very slow
10)Often when I speak I forget the topic and have to sort of trail off. When speeking I suddenly stop snd have no idea what I was talking sbout, making me frequently switch subjects while talking (never on purpose) so its like I'm talking in non-seqetors.
eve

Any ideas? Is all of it from Quetiapine? Or is it a mix of drugs?

I take 200mg of seroquel and 100mg of sertraline every day. I know for a fact that the seroquel gives me those whole body jumping tics and lightheaded/vertigo feeling. I've even passed out before when I stand up too fast and get real weak and my vision goes dark. Lots of times I have to sit back down for a minute. I would say most of your problems are caused by the massive amount of seroquel you're on. That is a ridiculous amount. Trazadone made me very slowly and spaced out as well. Why are you on so much seroquel? There's no way I would ever take that much.

That's quite the cocktail. It would be helpful to get some more info. When did you start taking each of these meds and and what dose? When have these symptoms started?

My first impressions is that your having numerous side effects to these very high doses of numerous medications

Trazodone, tramadol, AND sertraline? Are you scripted all of these? That combo, especially at those doses, could put you at serious risk of serotonin syndrome. 400mg of tramadol is a very high dose in itself and seizures could become a risk. I highly doubt Seroquel is causing all of your symptoms. At first glance, I thought the drug cocktail you're on is extremely risky.

Trazodone, tramadol, AND sertraline? Are you scripted all of these? That combo, especially at those doses, could put you at serious risk of serotonin syndrome. 400mg of tramadol is a very high dose in itself and seizures could become a risk. I highly doubt Seroquel is causing all of your symptoms. At first glance, I thought the drug cocktail you're on is extremely risky.

This
While Keppra will most likely help increase your seizure threshold you're at risk of serotonin syndrome and some of your symptoms could be caused by SS, so talk to the doctor who prescribed you this dangerous cocktail
If you can leave out the tramadol

I take 200mg of seroquel and 100mg of sertraline every day. I know for a fact that the seroquel gives me those whole body jumping tics and lightheaded/vertigo feeling. I've even passed out before when I stand up too fast and get real weak and my vision goes dark. Lots of times I have to sit back down for a minute. I would say most of your problems are caused by the massive amount of seroquel you're on. That is a ridiculous amount. Trazadone made me very slowly and spaced out as well. Why are you on so much seroquel? There's no way I would ever take that much.

Yep, my experience is very similar to what you experience(d).

I guess it's probably a combination of Trazadone and Seroquel

I'm on this much because tbh I kept convincing my psych doctor to up my dose. I really like it. It's been excellent for my anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia. It also stabalizes my mood; I'm prescribed it for severe Borderline Personality Disorder. The ammount of good quetiapine has done for me outweighs the negatives.

Yes, I am on all three of them. They are all prescibed to me from the same doctor. He actually also had me on Amitriptyline untill a couple months ago.

That's quite the cocktail. It would be helpful to get some more info. When did you start taking each of these meds and and what dose? When have these symptoms started?

My first impressions is that your having numerous side effects to these very high doses of numerous medications

Sertraline 150mg/day, started 7 years ago - once a day, in the morning
Quetiapine 800mg/day, changed to 1200mg/day 3 weeks ago - 400mg in the morning, 800 at night
Trazodone 250mg/day, changed to 400mg/day a month ago
Keppra 1000mg/day, started 8 months ago - 500mg twice aday
Tramadol 400mg/day, 100mg four times a day been on it years
Metaclopromide 60mg, 20mg three times a day
Cyclizine 300mg, 100mg, three times a day
Celebrex 200mg, 100mg, twice a day
Docusate 400mg - 200mg twice a day

Last edited:
Wtf? 300 mg of cyclizine is already enough to make your hand shake, get amnesia, and nod off in a stupor. Look up anticholinergic syndrome. Further more almostnevery one of those drugs interact with eachother in so many ways i cant even begin to explain. Can you get a second doctors opinion?

Wtf is wrong with your doctor?

Right now we have several explanations :
Anticholinergic syndrome, as 300 mg cyclizine is way too much (you shouldn't exceed 200mg in 24 hours, plus quetiapine can have anticholinergic activity
Serotonin syndrome due to the combo of tramadol, sertraline and trazodone
Or quetiapine overdose

Either way, get at least a second opinion and imo get an EKG, as some drugs you take could cause Q/T prolongation

1. Sertraline is a p450 cyp wd6 inhubitor albiet much less than prozac but still can incresse the effects of a endless amount of drugs.
2. Quetiapi e while a weaker dopamine blocker then the classical antiosychotics metaclopromide is andopamine antagonist and may increase side effects of antipsychotics . Dopamine plays a essentiak role in control of fine tune motor skills and cognition
3. At sych high doses of quetiapine its secondary metabolite norquetiapine likely has significant anticholinergic effects made worse by cyclizine
4 doses over 300 mg of tramadol increase yiur risk of seizures
5 taking trazadone with sertrline increases your risk of ddveloping seritonin syndrome
6. Seroquel and trazadone block alpha adrenic receptors which can cause hypotension dizziness and fainting

Wtf? 300 mg of cyclizine is already enough to make your hand shake, get amnesia, and nod off in a stupor. Look up anticholinergic syndrome. Further more almostnevery one of those drugs interact with eachother in so many ways i cant even begin to explain. Can you get a second doctors opinion?

I never thought it could be the cycline. And I only been taking it a month or so...
I couldn't find much on Anticholinergic Syndrome.o you have a link, or do you know what the symptoms are?

appear to increase the risk of death.[12] Possible effects of anticholinergics include:

Poor coordination
Dementia[13]
Decreased mucus production in the nose and throat; consequent dry, sore throat
Dry-mouth with possible acceleration of dental caries
Stopping of sweating; consequent decreased epidermal thermal dissipation leading to warm, blotchy, or red skin
Increased body temperature
Pupil dilation; consequent sensitivity to bright light (photophobia)
Loss of accommodation (loss of focusing ability, blurred vision – cycloplegia)
Double-vision
Increased heart rate
Tendency to be easily startled
Urinary retention
Diminished bowel movement, sometimes ileus (decreases motility via the vagus nerve)
Increased intraocular pressure; dangerous for people with narrow-angle glaucoma.
Possible effects in the central nervous system resemble those associated with delirium, and may include:

Confusion
Disorientation
Agitation
Euphoria or dysphoria
Respiratory depression
Memory problems[14]
Inability to concentrate
Wandering thoughts; inability to sustain a train of thought
Incoherent speech
Irritability
Mental confusion (brain fog)
Wakeful myoclonic jerking
Unusual sensitivity to sudden sounds
Illogical thinking
Photophobia
Visual disturbances
Periodic flashes of light
Periodic changes in visual field
Visual snow
Restricted or "tunnel vision"
Visual, auditory, or other sensory hallucinations
Warping or waving of surfaces and edges
Textured surfaces
"Dancing" lines; "spiders", insects; form constants
Lifelike objects indistinguishable from reality
Phantom smoking
Hallucinated presence of people not actually there
Rarely: seizures, coma, and death
Orthostatic hypotension (severe drop in systolic blood pressure when standing up suddenly) and significantly increased risk of falls in the elderly population.[15]

appear to increase the risk of death.[12] Possible effects of anticholinergics include:

Poor coordination
Dementia[13]
Decreased mucus production in the nose and throat; consequent dry, sore throat
Dry-mouth with possible acceleration of dental caries
Stopping of sweating; consequent decreased epidermal thermal dissipation leading to warm, blotchy, or red skin
Increased body temperature
Pupil dilation; consequent sensitivity to bright light (photophobia)
Loss of accommodation (loss of focusing ability, blurred vision – cycloplegia)
Double-vision
Increased heart rate
Tendency to be easily startled
Urinary retention
Diminished bowel movement, sometimes ileus (decreases motility via the vagus nerve)
Increased intraocular pressure; dangerous for people with narrow-angle glaucoma.
Possible effects in the central nervous system resemble those associated with delirium, and may include:

Confusion
Disorientation
Agitation
Euphoria or dysphoria
Respiratory depression
Memory problems[14]
Inability to concentrate
Wandering thoughts; inability to sustain a train of thought
Incoherent speech
Irritability
Mental confusion (brain fog)
Wakeful myoclonic jerking
Unusual sensitivity to sudden sounds
Illogical thinking
Photophobia
Visual disturbances
Periodic flashes of light
Periodic changes in visual field
Visual snow
Restricted or "tunnel vision"
Visual, auditory, or other sensory hallucinations
Warping or waving of surfaces and edges
Textured surfaces
"Dancing" lines; "spiders", insects; form constants
Lifelike objects indistinguishable from reality
Phantom smoking
Hallucinated presence of people not actually there
Rarely: seizures, coma, and death
Orthostatic hypotension (severe drop in systolic blood pressure when standing up suddenly) and significantly increased risk of falls in the elderly population.[15]

Very accurate, I have the majority of those symptoms(and they get steadily worse throught the day as I take nore pills)

So I guess I have Anticholinergic Syndrome.

Ya seriously that's literally straight off Wikipedia and your doctor's supposed to be a expert. If you have insurance maybe you can call them to see what other local doctors are covered. do not suddenly stop any medication thought find a doctor who seems competent and let him or her do it. Even if you have a bomb the worst thing you can do is just start pulling wires it can just make it explode and kill you. You need a bomb squad to carefully disable it.

Your doctor is absolutely insane and might just be trying to kill you to be honest. Nobody needs that much of all those psych meds. I would have the doctor order blood work to check your liver enzymes also. The seroquel alone can damage your liver even at lower doses, plus all that other crap every day on top of that. Liver failure is not fun. I've had it before, but actually mine wasn't drug related.