• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cough syrup, marijuana gain popularity among students

my3rdeye

Bluelighter
My high school days no one drank cough syrup, maybe its because we had so much cheap LSD. I would rather my kid dropped acid than drank robo.

Cough syrup, marijuana gain popularity among students

Alternative drugs more common as alcohol and cigarette usage reach all-time low

CBC News Posted: Dec 11, 2013 5:52 PM ET| Last Updated: Dec 11, 2013 6:25 PM ET

Ontario high school students are drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes less than ever before, but drinking and smoking other intoxicants is on the rise.

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) released its annual survey of drug and alcohol habits among teenagers this week. It showed several new sources of concern for parents and drug researchers.

The family medicine cabinet has become a source for drugs.

Gaining in popularity is a cough-syrup laced drink, which is known by the slang terms "sizzurp," "lean" or "purple drank."

"It's codeine with some Sprite and some Jolly Ranchers. I've never done it before but it's like a new thing," said Toronto-area high school student Brittney Comeau.

Researchers were surprised by its popularity.

Liquid cough and cold medicines containing dextromethorphan are the source of the high, said Robert Mann, a CAMH senior scientist.

Students are also experimenting with other over-the-counter drugs. The CAMH survey found one-in-eight students have tried at least something from the medicine cabinet, which is about 120,000 in total.

"These new numbers give us some insight into the use of alternative and emerging drugs among young people," said Dr. Hayley Hamilton, a CAMH scientist.

Still smoking, just not tobacco

Then there are e-cigarettes. This year marks the first time in 36 years of running the survey that researchers have asked about them. Almost 100,000 Ontario students say they've smoked them.

"I see some people walking in the halls smoking them actually," said Roberta Ferrence, of the Ontario tobacco research unit. "It's an aerosol and we don't know enough yet about what's in it or what it does to you."

Cigarette smoking did not show any increase this year, but it's not decreasing either. More than 33,000 Ontario teens still say they smoke every day.

Many more are occasionally smoking marijuana, creating another troubling trend.

About 10 per cent of students with a driving licence reported driving after cannabis use. It's considered impaired driving.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/cough-syrup-marijuana-gain-popularity-among-students-1.2460412

DXM was really popular when I was in high school among the pot heads. It was easily stolen and or found.

Poor misinformed kids, they are taking DXM thinking that it is the codeine syrup that the rappers are talking about. 8)

Poor misinformed kids, they are taking DXM thinking that it is the codeine syrup that the rappers are talking about. 8)

They are probably getting way more fucked up from the DXM.

I swear absolutely noone understands the difference between the codeine with promethazine and dextromethorphan.

Funny because your going to get 2 totally different effects.

"I see some people walking in the halls smoking them actually," said Roberta Ferrence, of the Ontario tobacco research unit. "It's an aerosol and we don't know enough yet about what's in it or what it does to you."

An aerosol? Yet she admits he doesn't know what's in them? Just gonna go ahead and make a scary sounding guess then? A quick google search will tell you exactly what's in them actually, Ms. Ferrence. E-liquids are not unknown chemicals nor are they anything that producers of them are trying to hide from people knowing. And what is a member of the "tobacco research unit" doing in the first place walking around the hallways of a school spotting these "e-smokers?"

What a laughable article all around. Marijuana gaining popularity? That's news? Every new generation has it's section that turns to pot.

And lol@ the DXM & Codeine confusion.
What a terrible terrible article lol.

Last edited:

This! People just get some robotussin mix it with sprite, and probably think they're leaning.
I can't imagine how vile sipping robo cough syrup is.

Is it really news? I've been hearing about cough syrup and marijuana for years and years.

The marijuana is quite safe, and I am glad that they are using less alcohol and cigs.
But the DXM is a bit more worrisome, since it can really impair people who then might try to drive, and can be combined with lots of acetaminophen or other drugs that can kill kids who don't do their research, and doesn't mix well with MAOIs or SSRIs.

I swear absolutely noone understands the difference between the codeine with promethazine and dextromethorphan.

Funny because your going to get 2 totally different effects.

It is amazing to me that this is true. Fucking nobody realizes that lean is not Robitussin!

Retarded article do writers not research what they are reporting before spewing misinformed nonsense to the masses.
I imagine Dxm has been being used to get high since its been on shelves and available OTC.

Can't imagine a friend hookin up some drank that was instead dxm. Lol you'd be trippin.
Codiene is pretty rare in my state but dxm abuse is rampant. In high school I knew kids who would chug bottles or pop hand fulls of coricedins before class.

I've only ever had codiene with prometh when prescirbed for some sort of ear infection and got tanked on it. Twas long before any opiate tolerance.

1. Glad to see the media isn't behind by a decade or anything......
2. Codeine and DXM cough syrups are 2 completely different things, used very differently, by different people, and one is OTC. Get your shit together, just cuz they're both cough syrups means nothing

Decades is right.. robotizing has been around for ever.. its even a word recognized by my spell check. We were doing it over twenty years ago. There is content in Bret Easton Ellis's The Rules of Attraction (1987) about people taking it.