• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

GenericMind

Bluelighter
Didn't see a thread on this miniseries. It's really an amazing series, definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it. Will be especially great for anyone of you older folks that remember Carl Sagan's original show in the 80s. The entire series can be found on Netflix.

Cosmos_spacetime_odyssey_titlecard.jpg

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is a 2014 American science documentary television series.[1] The show is a follow-up to the 1980 television series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, which was presented by Carl Sagan on the Public Broadcasting Service and is considered a milestone for scientific documentaries. This series was developed to bring back the foundation of science to network television at the height of other scientific-based television series and films. The show is presented by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, who, as a young college student, was inspired by Sagan. Among the executive producers are Seth MacFarlane, whose clout and financial investment were instrumental in bringing the show to broadcast television, and Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow and a co-creator of the original series.[2][3] The show is produced by Brannon Braga, and Alan Silvestri provides the backing score.

ive seen five or six episode. i can't wait till my kid is old enough for us to watch it together.

Yeah it's really, really quality programming. I liked it a lot better than most "science" programming I've seen. There's a feeling of wholeness or completeness in it and how it attempts to cover such a broad base of where we are in the Universe and how we got here. The way it's narrated makes it perfect for children or young adults to understand the concepts discussed. I'd definitely have my kids watch it if I had any,

I read that that they're unsure whether or not to do a second season. Not for lack of success(the show won 14 Emmys) but because they're not sure that type of content is something you want to keep going on and on with. I'm sure they could find more stuff to talk about, but the first season is kind of a complete package as is. I do hope they make another season though. It's too damn good to let die and blows away anything currently offered by quasi-science channels like DISCOVERY.

a good follow on for an adult would be bill bryson's "a short history of almost everything". i highly recommend it. i do audiobooks when working out, long walks or bike rides and during my train commute to and from work. i listened to that one twice in a row.

My feelings about it are mixed. As a product of commercial television, it lacks the meditative--and often deeply personal--feel of the original, but I think it's a fair trade-off given NDT's admirable effort, and the hope that it will inspire at least a few people into pursuing the sciences. I certainly never forgot the first time I saw Sagan's Cosmos, and think that every generation deserves such a definitive media event.